JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
With the anti-gun laws currently before the Oregon senate I came across this article and it made me incredibly happy not to live in Illinois...

Two Chicago gun control measures advance

Basically they are going to pass laws that require people to PAY to register their guns, AND they are going to tax ammunition 2%. All this in a state that won't allow concealed carry at all anyway. Because I'm sure all the criminals will line up to pay their fee and register the guns they carry illegally and use in crimes...Way to continue to punish the innocent and leave criminals unaffected...

I can see a tax increase on all things firearms and related items. The easiest way to slow down folks obtaining the like items...increase the price.

I can see a tax increase on all things firearms and related items. The easiest way to slow down folks obtaining the like items...increase the price.
That's the progressive liberal mindset.
And they've proved it works for gas and diesel,...
Why not guns and ammo?

The next 4 years could be very interesting.

It's a bit too late for the game - we have enough guns for centuries to come. Taxing ammo won't do much either.

not at 2%, but who says they have to stop there? tax it at 400% and see what happens. before Obama was elected, i couldn't find ammo anywhere, even if it had been taxed at a rediculous rate. ( it'll probably happen again this election year) there's no need to ban firearms or restrict ammunition sales if the price is raised enough. i'm no lawyer, but it seems as though it would be a "legal" way for the anti-gun crowd to infringe on our rights. they'd probably promote it as reducing the national debt too.

Last Edited:
Ammo has been taxed since the 1930's Look up the Pittman-Robertson Wildlife Restoration Act of 1937

In 1937, hunters successfully lobbied Congress to pass the Pittman-Robertson Wildlife Restoration Act, which placed an eleven percent tax on all hunting equipment. This self-imposed tax now generates over $700 million each year, and is used exclusively to establish, restore and protect wildlife habitats.[38] The act is named for Nevada Senator Key Pittman and Virginia Congressman Absalom Willis Robertson.

Ammo has been taxed since the 1930's Look up the Pittman-Robertson Wildlife Restoration Act of 1937

In 1937, hunters successfully lobbied Congress to pass the Pittman-Robertson Wildlife Restoration Act, which placed an eleven percent tax on all hunting equipment. This self-imposed tax now generates over $700 million each year, and is used exclusively to establish, restore and protect wildlife habitats.[38] The act is named for Nevada Senator Key Pittman and Virginia Congressman Absalom Willis Robertson.

I had no idea, thanks for the info. I didn't mean to sound as if taxation is a bad idea. that is a good example of how tax dollars can be used for our betterment. My concerm is that taxes could become unreasonable and be utilized not for something productive, but as a means to an end that sleight handedly violates our rights.

not at 2%, but who says they have to stop there? tax it at 400% and see what happens. before Obama was elected, i couldn't find ammo anywhere, even if it had been taxed at a rediculous rate. ( it'll probably happen again this election year) there's no need to ban firearms or restrict ammunition sales if the price is raised enough. i'm no lawyer, but it seems as though it would be a "legal" way for the anti-gun crowd to infringe on our rights. they'd probably promote it as reducing the national debt too.

You're missing the point though. If extreme taxation were used as a method of gun control, what would it achieve ? Would it reduce gun ownership ? Would it eliminate means for people to protect themselves ? I don't think so. People would shoot less to conserve the ammo, but they'd still have enough for protection. It's like you know, I have two boxes of hollow points, and I've had them for many years now :)

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top