JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think the bottom line is this, officers are humans too. There will be nice, respectful, and caring individuals as well as the arrogant jerks who could quite frankly give a crap less about you or your problem. And seeing some of the cop shows on tv you would really have to think what you yourself would be like in their shoes. If I had to deal with the people they had to on a daily basis i'm not so sure I would be able to keep a good demeanor every day myself. BUT, that in no way shape or form would or should give them the right to break the very laws they are expected to uphold.

I totally agree. There needs to be alot more accountability. I can and will if invited set down with any LEO over a cup of coffee. But will not condone and look the other way if they themselves break the law they are trying to uphold. There should be a much higher standard for LEO's at obeying the law. They are the law officers. They should be able to follow the law. And at least an equal amount of punishment against them if they broke the law just like a citizen.

Posted by Father of Four: "I totally agree. There needs to be alot more accountability. I can and will if invited set down with any LEO over a cup of coffee. But will not condone and look the other way if they themselves break the law they are trying to uphold. There should be a much higher standard for LEO's at obeying the law. They are the law officers. They should be able to follow the law. And at least an equal amount of punishment against them if they broke the law just like a citizen."

Father of Four, do you have specific situation that burned you with LEOs?

Bruce.

I would buy any LEO a cop of coffee in exchange for some pleasent conversation. I like police officers as a whole. In fact I have strongly considered joining their ranks. I've even applied and tested once. Unfortunately it seems I am much better at fixing and maintaining machines then writing reports.

If they are ever hiring again, I may apply again, but it will depend on whether or not I can afford to take the pay cut when/if that time comes.

Quick question. Has this ever happened to anyone here?
When a policeman pulls over a driver whose computer record shows not only the driver's license of the vehicle's owner, but the fact that they have a concealed carry permit, it is too often SOP for the cop to approach the vehicle, gun drawn, order the man or woman from the car, put them on their knees and cuff them before anything else transpires.

Either in the PNW or another state? Not flaming anyone or anything. I liked the "letter" and agree with it, but unless you are inner-city, I don't see things like this happening where I (have) live(d).
Maybe I am just naive?

Shootshellz: Crap! You probably will never get a chance to reproduced! Most women shy away from nerds who leave comments like you do. Please think about something intelligent to say (if you can)to add to this thread. And then maybe us big boys will talk with you in grown up terms!

Jamie6.5,
I can only imagine how the life of a LEO could be and the bad people they sometimes deal with on a daily basis. And I could understand how a LEO then would want to possibly treat every encounter with citizens in a more defensive way, But to treat everyone as a criminal could be like all the citizens thinking every LEO is a bad LEO. Which is truly not the case. I have heard of sad stories where the LEO's freak out on a person who is legally caring a firearm with threats of shooting that LAW ABIDING CITIZEN and I have also heard of everything going smoothly as it should when an officer has his thoughts and emotions under control.

Innocent until proven guilty? Hmmm, not so sure that is the America I know but lets start with the rights they read you when you are arrested, "anything you say can and will be used against you". So you keep your big mouth shut and then they get you for not cooperating or hindering a criminal investigation.

Innocent until proven guilty? Hmmm, not so sure that is the America I know but lets start with the rights they read you when you are arrested, "anything you say can and will be used against you". So you keep your big mouth shut and then they get you for not cooperating or hindering a criminal investigation.

You cannot be prosecuted for substantive silence due to the Fifth Amendment. Invariably, obstruction of justice is for lying to investigators. If you don't talk, you aren't at risk for this charge.

The risk in silence is twofold. One is that most folks are not sophisticated enough to turn it on and off. Most do not realize that they can terminate any police interview at any time for just about any reason by invoking a right to counsel. Two, there may be another player involved who will talk first in exchange for a deal that no one is obliged to make to you. Look up the "Prisoner's Dilemma" to get a full taste for how this scenario is used as an interrogation tactic.

Nevertheless, you cannot be prosecuted for invoking the Fifth.

As a LEO, wichaka. I am interested in what you think about the link that zeezee has posted. The writer could have written it a little less confrontational in my opinion, but I do believe most of it was well written. And couldn't you of at least left me my pants?

Any time you have something written, and a video produced that is one sided, you're going to get some backlash...and I don't care if its the "Bowling Alley Shoe Cleaners Assoc." Ok, so no such assoc. exists, but you get the idea. :p

Its a terrible 2 edged sword...which LEO's are the good ones? and which citizens are the good ones?

Me thinks the first step is have that cup of coffee with the citizen and LEO alike. Get some communication going, engage each other with tactful, non-blaming/finger pointing conversation.

We are all human first, no one is perfect. Anytime anyone antagonizes another there will be conflict, and we can see that in every walk of life.

We can all agree there are some people that just shouldn't have guns. We have seen that with some of the banned people on this forum. I'm sure many here have had the same thoughts about some you have met on here, other forums, as well out in the public you meet. There's no difference.

Cool heads will always prevail, getting into a finger pointing session will solve nothing.

Ignorance can be rectified, but stupidity is forever.

A good LEO must be able to turn on and off the aggression switch at the fraction of a second, sometimes hard to do as human nature takes over.
And contrary to popular belief, all LEO's are human first.

I make no concessions/excuses for what some in the LEO world have done...each must stand on their own for their actions. Are there some bad apples in the bunch...yep, no denying that. But to group all LEO's as being one and the same makes no sense. Just as saying each citizen we meet is Ted Bundy.

Because you have one bad meal at a certain restaurant...the whole chain of them are bad? Or a bad experience with a certain person at the store, every employee at that store is bad?

Its hard to pick out the good from the bad unless we do one thing...and that's get to know each other.

Like I said above, we don't know each other until we come together in some good conversation.

Other than the Military, name one other job where one must where a bullet vest when going to work, because someone may want to kill you? It kinda raises the blood pressure a bit.

Then dealing with everyone at their worst. We hardly make contact for a good situation, it does happen...but few and far between. Basically we babysit a very small percentage of the population...but that small group are what we call the "Frequent Fliers" of society and take up the most time.

Then we play cat & mouse with the so called "Criminal Justice System"...ya right, what a joke that is! We hook the suspect in a crime against you, and they are out doing the same thing again within a week or less. That would wear on anyone...especially the victims out there.

If everyone would do the right thing, I would gladly like to see our society not need LEO's.

I have seen the elephant 3 times, and am still here. I very much enjoy teaching honest citizens the art of combat shooting. Its not some secret mystery that some hi-horsepower instructors/book writers would have you believe. There are no "Methods", its taking what is learned from human behavior in actual gunfights and applying it to everyday situations. In short...it aint rocket science!

In the circles I run with, we have decided if there ever came a ban on firearms, limitations on the amount of ammo one is allowed to have etc...we would not heed it for ourselves, nor would we enforce it.

So yes, there some of us out here that really do stand up for the citizen. But remember...the citizen is us too.

We can all agree there are some people that just shouldn't have guns. We have seen that with some of the banned people on this forum. I'm sure many here have had the same thoughts about some you have met on here, other forums, as well out in the public you meet. There's no difference.

Ahh, but there is a difference, who is to decide just who should or should not own a firearm? Our liberal/progressive courts or our left leaning government? I trust neither of them. To ban someone for their opinion posted here or anywhere else is just plain asinine and to infringe upon their second amendment because of an opinion is unconstitutional, violating both the First and Second amendment.

Any time you have something written, and a video produced that is one sided, you're going to get some backlash...and I don't care if its the "Bowling Alley Shoe Cleaners Assoc." Ok, so no such assoc. exists, but you get the idea. :p

Its a terrible 2 edged sword...which LEO's are the good ones? and which citizens are the good ones?

Me thinks the first step is have that cup of coffee with the citizen and LEO alike. Get some communication going, engage each other with tactful, non-blaming/finger pointing conversation.

We are all human first, no one is perfect. Anytime anyone antagonizes another there will be conflict, and we can see that in every walk of life.

Cool heads will always prevail, getting into a finger pointing session will solve nothing.

Ignorance can be rectified, but stupidity is forever.

A good LEO must be able to turn on and off the aggression switch at the fraction of a second, sometimes hard to do as human nature takes over.
And contrary to popular belief, all LEO's are human first.

I make no concessions/excuses for what some in the LEO world have done...each must stand on their own for their actions. Are there some bad apples in the bunch...yep, no denying that. But to group all LEO's as being one and the same makes no sense. Just as saying each citizen we meet is Ted Bundy.

Because you have one bad meal at a certain restaurant...the whole chain of them are bad? Or a bad experience with a certain person at the store, every employee at that store is bad?

Its hard to pick out the good from the bad unless we do one thing...and that's get to know each other.

Like I said above, we don't know each other until we come together in some good conversation.

Other than the Military, name one other job where one must where a bullet vest when going to work, because someone may want to kill you? It kinda raises the blood pressure a bit.

Then dealing with everyone at their worst. We hardly make contact for a good situation, it does happen...but few and far between. Basically we babysit a very small percentage of the population...but that small group are what we call the "Frequent Fliers" of society and take up the most time.

Then we play cat & mouse with the so called "Criminal Justice System"...ya right, what a joke that is! We hook the suspect in a crime against you, and they are out doing the same thing again within a week or less. That would wear on anyone...especially the victims out there.

If everyone would do the right thing, I would gladly like to see our society not need LEO's.

I have seen the elephant 3 times, and am still here. I very much enjoy teaching honest citizens the art of combat shooting. Its not some secret mystery that some hi-horsepower instructors/book writers would have you believe. There are no "Methods", its taking what is learned from human behavior in actual gunfights and applying it to everyday situations. In short...it aint rocket science!

In the circles I run with, we have decided if there ever came a ban on firearms, limitations on the amount of ammo one is allowed to have etc...we would not heed it for ourselves, nor would we enforce it.

So yes, there some of us out here that really do stand up for the citizen. But remember...the citizen is us too.

+1 Wichaka:s0155:

Yep, who is to make the "Final" decision on who and who does not own a firearm? Don't have an answer for ya.

But as I said before, me thinks we all know some people who just shouldn't have them.

Who was banned here for their opinion? No one that I know of.

This is a private forum, not an open public place. The owner of this forum is due the same respect as if one of us were in his house. In effect we are, and there's no 1st or 2nd amendment there. His house, his rules. So this part of the conversation is done with.

Lets stay on track with the subject matter please.

I found this and thought it would be great for us citizens to read and understand. To any LEO's who might be reading this thread, Is this the correct copy or fake? Please comment. Thanks!

CANONS OF POLICE ETHICS

Article 1. Primary Responsibility of Job

The primary responsibility of the police service, and of the individual officer, is the protection of the people of the United States through the upholding of their laws; chief among these is the Constitution of the United States and its amendments. The law enforcement officer always represents the whole of the community and its legally expressed will and is never the arm of any political party or clique.

Article 2. Limitations of Authority

The first duty of a law enforcement officer, as upholder of the law, is to know its bounds upon him in enforcing it. Because he represents the legal will of the community, be it local, state or federal, he must be aware of the limitations and proscriptions which the people, through law, have placed upon him. He must recognize the genius of the American system of government, which gives to no man, groups of men, or institution, absolute power, and he must insure that he, as a prime defender of that system, does not pervert its character.

Article 3. Duty to be Familiar with the Law and with Responsibilities of Self and other Public Officials

The law enforcement officer shall assiduously apply himself to the study of the principles of the laws, which he is sworn to uphold. He will make certain of his responsibilities in the particulars of their enforcement, seeking aid from his superiors in matters of technicality or principle when these are not clear to him; he will make special effort to fully understand his relationship to other public officials, including other law enforcement agencies, particularly on matters of jurisdiction, both geographically and substantively.

Article 4. Utilization of Proper Means to Gain Proper Ends

The law enforcement officer shall be mindful of his responsibility to pay strict heed to the selection of means in discharging the duties of his office. Violations of law or disregard for public safety and property on the part of an officer are intrinsically wrong; they are self-defeating in that they instill in the public mind a like disposition. The employment of illegal means, no matter how worthy the end, is certain to encourage disrespect for the law and its officers. If the law is to be honored, it must first be honored by those who enforce it.

Article 5. Cooperation with Public Officials in the Discharge of Their Authorized Duties

The law enforcement officer shall cooperate fully with other public officials in the discharge of authorized duties, regardless of party affiliation or personal prejudice. He shall be meticulous, however, in assuring himself of the propriety, under the law, of such actions and shall guard against the use of his office or person, whether knowingly or unknowingly, in any improper or illegal action. In any situation open to question, he shall seek authority from his superior officer, giving him a full report of the proposed service or action.

Article 6. Private Conduct

The law enforcement officer shall be mindful of his special identification by the public as an upholder of the law. Laxity of conduct or manner in private life, expressing either disrespect for the law or seeking to gain special privilege, cannot but reflect upon the police officer and the police service. The community and the service require that the law enforcement officer lead the life of a decent and honorable man. Following the career of a policeman gives no man special perquisites. It does give the satisfaction and pride of following and furthering an unbroken tradition of safeguarding the American republic. The officer who reflects upon this tradition will not degrade it. Rather, he will so conduct his private life that the public will regard him as an example of stability, fidelity and morality.

Article 7. Conduct toward the Public

The law enforcement officer, mindful of his responsibility to the whole community, shall deal with individuals of the community in a manner calculated to instill respect for its laws and its police service. The law enforcement officer shall conduct his official life in a manner such as will inspire confidence and trust. Thus, he will be neither overbearing nor subservient, as no individual citizen has an obligation to stand in awe of him nor a right to command him. The officer will give service where he can, and require compliance with the law. He will do neither from personal preference or prejudice but rather as a duly appointed officer of the law discharging his sworn obligation.

Article 8. Conduct in Arresting and Dealing with Law Violators

The law enforcement officer shall use his powers of arrest strictly in accordance with the law and with due regard to the rights of the citizen concerned. His office gives him no right to prosecute the violator nor to mete out punishment for the offense. He shall, at all times, have a clear appreciation of his responsibilities and limitations regarding detention of the violator; he shall conduct himself in such a manner as will minimize the possibility of having to use force. To this end he shall cultivate a dedication to the service of the people and the equitable upholding of their laws whether in the handling of law violators or in dealing with the law-abiding.

Article 9. Gifts and Favors

The law enforcement officer, representing government, bears the heavy responsibility of maintaining, in his own conduct, the honor and integrity of all government institutions. He shall, therefore, guard against placing himself in a position in which any person can expect special consideration or in which the public can reasonably assume that special consideration is being given. Thus, he should be firm in refusing, gifts, favors, or gratuities, large or small, which can, in the public mind, be interpreted as capable of influencing his judgment in the discharge of his duties.

Article 10. Presentation of Evidence

The law enforcement officer shall be concerned equally in the prosecution of the wrong-doer and the defense of the innocent. He shall ascertain what constitutes evidence and shall present such evidence impartially and without malice. In so doing, he will ignore social, political, and all other distinctions among the persons involved, strengthening the tradition of the reliability and integrity of an officer's word.
The law enforcement officer shall take special pains to increase his perception and skill of observation, mindful that in many situations his is the sole impartial testimony to the facts of a case.

Article 11. Attitude Toward Profession

The law enforcement officer shall regard the discharge of his duties as a public trust and recognize his responsibility as a public servant. By diligent study and sincere attention to self-improvement he shall strive to make the best possible application of science to the solution of crime and, in the field of human relationships, strive for effective leadership and public influence in matters affecting public safety. He shall appreciate the importance and responsibility of his office and hold police work to be an honorable profession rendering a valuable service to his community and his country.

After further research it seems that different Police Departments may have the Officers Code of Ethics or equivalent written in different terms. Here is another one. Some explain it better, others less.

Law Enforcement Code of Conduct

Primary Responsibilities of a Police Officer

A police officer acts as an official representative of government who is required and trusted to work within the law. The officer's powers and duties are conferred by statute. The fundamental duties of a police officer include serving the community, safeguarding lives and property, protecting the innocent, keeping the peace and ensuring the rights of all to liberty, equality and justice.

Performance of Duties as a Police Officer

A police officer shall perform all duties impartially, without favor of affection or ill will and without regard to status, sex, race, religion, political belief or aspiration. All citizens will be treated equally with courtesy, consideration and dignity.

Officers will never allow personal feelings, animosities or friendships to influence official conduct. Laws will be enforced appropriately and courteously and, in carrying out their responsibilities, officers will strive to obtain maximum cooperation from the public. They will conduct themselves in appearance and department in such a manner as to inspire confidence and respect for the position of public trust they hold.

Discretion

A police officer will use responsibly the discretion vested in his position and exercise it within the law. The principle of reasonableness will guide the officer's determinations, and the officer will consider all surrounding circumstances in determining whether any legal action shall be taken.

Consistent and wise use of discretion, based on professional policing competence, will do much to preserve good relationships and retain the confidence of the public. There can be difficulty in choosing between conflicting courses of action. It is important to remember that a timely word of advice rather than arrest, which may be correct in appropriate circumstances – can be a more effective means of achieving a desired level.

Use of Force

A police officer will never employ unnecessary force or violence and will use only such forces in discharge of duty as is reasonable in all circumstances.

The use of force should be used only after discussion, negotiation and persuasion have been found to be inappropriate or ineffective. While the use of force is occasionally unavoidable, every police officer will refrain from unnecessary infliction of pain or suffering and will never engage in cruel, degrading or inhuman treatment of any person.

Confidentiality

Whatever a police officer sees, hears or learns of that is of a confidential nature will be kept secret unless the performance of duty or legal provision requires otherwise.

Members of the public have a right to security and privacy, and information obtained about them must not be improperly divulged.

Integrity

A police officer will not engage in acts of corruption or bribery, nor will an officer condone such acts by other police officers.

The public demands that the integrity of police officers be above reproach. Police Officers must, therefore, avoid any conduct that might compromise integrity and that undercut the public confidence in a law enforcement agency. Officers will refuse to accept any gifts, presents, subscriptions, favors, gratuities or promises that could be interpreted as seeking to cause the officer to refrain from performing official responsibilities honestly and within the law.

Police officers must not receive private or special advantage from the official status. Respect from the public cannot be bought; it can only be earned and cultivated.

Cooperation with Other Police Officers and Agencies

Police officers will cooperate with all legally authorized agencies and their representatives in the pursuit of justice.

An officer or agency may be one among many organizations that may provide law enforcement services to a jurisdiction. It is imperative that a police officer assist colleagues fully and completely with respect and consideration at all times.

Personal-Professional Capabilities

Police officers will be responsible for their own standard of professional performance and will take every reasonable opportunity to enhance and improve their level of knowledge and competence.

Through study and experience, a police officer can acquire the high level of knowledge and competence that is essential for the efficient and effective performance of duty. The acquisition of knowledge is a never ending process of personal and professional development that should be pursued constantly.

Private Life

Police officers will behave in a manner that does not bring discredit to their agencies or themselves. A police officer's character and conduct while off duty must always be exemplary, thus maintaining a position of respect in the community in which he or she lives and serves. The officer's personal behavior must be beyond reproach.

Last one..I should have posted this one first.

Code of Ethical Conduct

The Superintendent acknowledges that the citizens of the State of Oregon rightfully expect and demand that the Oregon State Police epitomize the highest ideals of ethical and professional conduct. As an employee, I subscribe to and adopt the ideals set forth in the Code of Ethical Conduct.

As a peace officer, I am the image of penal law and its warden. If I am to be esteemed and the law I typify respected, I must know my authority well and use it wisely. I shall neither exceed nor abuse it.

During my private and public life, I shall conduct myself with the highest degree of integrity and honesty. I shall at all times conduct myself in a manner which consistently maintains the public trust.

I shall be intolerant of dishonorable or unethical conduct by any person in the criminal justice community. As an Oregon State Police officer, I shall strive to be courageous in my professional and everyday life, and will take prudent and judicious action when faced with danger, scorn, or ridicule.

Although the way I choose to conduct my private life is a personal freedom, I accept responsibility for my actions while on or off duty. I will not become a party to conduct that is likely to, or does bring disrespect to myself, my fellow employees, or the Oregon State Police. To that end, I shall not engage in personal conduct that affects, or could be perceived to affect, impartiality in my official capacity.

I shall not use my position or authority for any personal gain or benefit. I shall refrain from seeking or accepting any gift, gratuity, or favor that is tendered, or could reasonably be perceived as being tendered, as an attempt to influence impartiality in my official capacity.

As an Oregon State Police officer, I acknowledge the authority and responsibility entrusted to me and will use only the amount of force reasonably necessary to accomplish and fulfill my duties. I consider the use of deadly physical force as the final option to protect myself or another person from what I reasonably believe to be the infliction, or threatened infliction, of serious physical injury.

I shall bear faithful allegiance to the State of Oregon and the Oregon State Police and shall be loyal to the highest ideals of my profession. I will serve the public with due respect, concern, courtesy, and responsiveness without prejudice. I recognize the service to the public is beyond service to myself. As a police officer, I consider it a privilege, and the greatest honor that may be bestowed upon any person, to defend the principles of liberty.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews