JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Observations and advice.. I never give advice, wise men don't need it and fools won't heed it.

Observations.. three words that works well are "what is different?".

The only thing I have to offer after that is just story telling:D OR As Robert Duvall said in lonesome dove, it ain't dieing I am talking about but living.

So many of you guys remember seeing all the bunkers full of ammo left by the Taliban when our troops went to Afganistan? There is a point when you stockpile too much. Give it the "river test" if you can't get it across the river then you have too much stuff.:D

Yep, Realistically us older pharts will be giving all the prepping we are doing to those who will be surviving us when we die of old age or whatever.... that's how I look at it, we wish to be prepared for anything but truth be told it may not happen in our lifetime (but if it does it's game on) Lets dance!!!!

I survived a life threatening illness in 2011. I was into prepping and survival pretty much my whole life, after seeing how much fun it was during a Civil Air Patrol encampment at age 14. There are many good points raised in the previous comments. That being said, I will not have a defeatist attitude about my life. I intend to have a roof over my head and bread on my table until the day die. Anybody that tries to change that by force will have a big problem. I will not spend my last dime on preps, but continue my steady stockpiling of items and supplies.

At 57, I know full well that my health is the most important thing on a daily basis. I too have maybe 20 years left, and I do not want to be in one of these death camps. I will take a fishing trip in a 12 boat over the Columbia bar, or get lost in the woods and fall over a cliff before I die in one of those places, or become a detriment to our group. I also know that I am still full well of contributing effectively to our survival planning group.

I am still a very good shot, I have the farming knowledge and skills to produce food. I intend to contribute as long as I can for my kids and grand kids. I am fortunate that all my kids are into prepping at some level, 3 of them combat veterans, and I intend for my grandchildren to have the opportunities I had and their parents had growing up.

I too wonder about STHF scenarios. Most have a common thread and that is that common infrastructure will be severely compromised. I would expect that 9.0 earthquake to be more likely to happen, and while not a pleasing thing, that the societal and economic break downs resulting from that will not be s severe as they would be from a economical and societal collapse. One will require suitable preps with a minimal level of defense needs, and other will require suitable preps with a huge defense need.

If I do go down in a SHTF situation, there will be a pile of brass,some smoking guns and a whole lot of other bodies piled up as well.

Not rolling over or giving up to nobody.

You old farts are undervaluing your knowledge and experience, survival is not a solo endeavor everyone has a role to play. My generation has lost alot of know how that you are taking for granted. The generations after mine, even worse. Give me a couple of men in their 50s and 60s to doll out some pragmatic know how and stand watch on the porch, Ill live longer and better for it.

You old farts are undervaluing your knowledge and experience, survival is not a solo endeavor everyone has a role to play. My generation has lost alot of know how that you are taking for granted. The generations after mine, even worse. Give me a couple of men in their 50s and 60s to doll out some pragmatic know how and stand watch on the porch, Ill live longer and better for it.

:D Not speaking for the rest of the guys but I ain't dead yet. Being a survivalist has helped me reach this age and I hope to live longer. However whatever happens I am good to go. Funny though, I am 62 and still learning from my older friends. Them old boys I run with have more knowledge than most will ever learn. They started life before TV and there woods skills and survival skills were passed down and used before the name survivalist was ever thought of.

I guess I pass the river test, as I have enough stuff to build a bridge :D

Most guys probably think on a bug out they can pack 70 pounds 20 miles a day. Some of them can and even more. In a SHTF it's only good to the first bridge, a choke point that would be murder central. Or in a really bad earthquake there may not be a bridge. So the question has always been river crossingso_O. Just something to ponder I guess.:D

If the average person counted how many bridges or overpasses they cross in a given day, they would be surprised. And you are 100% correct, they are choke and control points. But there would probably be so many vehicles on the road that there would be no reasonable flow of traffic.

Since well over 50% of the bridges is this country are POS and ready to fall down, an earthquake will quickly take them out. There may be some pedestrian crossing abilities, if high water is not a factor.But the thugs will quickly see these as an area to prey on people who may have supplies weapons and ammunition. You are probably going to have to go to ground and make a crossing, if you can in an area that is uncontested.

Steep unpassable banks will be a major issue. Some high angle rope work will be required, and probably some zip line work as well. Or a good chain saw and a suitable size tree in the right spot. We are going to do a zip line drill this summer on some of our straight up and down 15 foot or better creek banks.

Without bridges you are on an island and unless you want to be like Gilligan you need to find an escape. Bigger rivers are a problem, deep and powerful water. Most rivers you can cross with an axe and a tree fall but the wide ones are going to take some doing, especially in cold water. Man could carry a small boat but that sure limits his food space.

A wet suit and plenty of rope?o_O Eeerrr do they make those in old fat boy sizes?:D

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top