JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Been working on this myself. Storage, security and access became the more immediate issue.
Don't believe it's possible for an individual to provide absolute security for ammo, weapons or household valuables in a residential location. The best we can do is complicate the thiefs problem and limits losses. Long story short I spread the ammo out to various locations (on and off site) and storage methods. On site storage is limited to my average 2-4 week usage. The rest is off site in a couple of secure locations. Fact is if/when the SHTF where am I going to go with 500/600 pounds of ammo and what are the chances of me successfully defending it?

Have been trying to put together components and equipment to reload. In these times of shortage it's coming together slowly...that presents a different problem.....that can't move anywhere.

Last Edited:
Been working on this myself. Storage, security and access became the more immediate issue.
Don't believe it's possible for an individual to provide absolute security for ammo, weapons or household valuables in a residential location. The best we can do is complicate the thiefs problem and limits losses. Long story short I spread the ammo out to various locations (on and off site) and storage methods. On site storage is limited to my average 2-4 week usage. The rest is off site in a couple of secure locations. Fact is if/when the SHTF where am I going to go with 500/600 pounds of ammo and what are the chances of me successfully defending it?

Have been trying to put together components and equipment to reload. In these times of shortage it's coming together slowly...that presents a different problem.....that can't move anywhere.

IMO, the most secure place for my ammo is my BOL which is also my current residence. Since it is my BOL, I don't need to transport ammo, I just need to get home if I am not already here.

I have a long time friend that used to manage a storage facility. They had break-ins all the time; people would rent a storage unit, break into adjoining units by cutting into the walls, and then abandon the unit and disappear. The victims would not know that it happened until they either checked their unit, or the manager checked the abandoned unit when the thieves rent came due. Indeed, the manager himself later rented a unit and had it broken into.

This goes back to opportunity for the criminals - they can break in and escape. Much less likely where I live (in the boonies) and I would discover it almost immediately, if I didn't catch them in the act. I am now home 99% of the time, my neighbors are around almost all of the time, I live on a private road so only delivery drivers are the only strangers to be on the road, they don't spend but a few minutes at their destination and are usually in marked vehicles.

I understand what you're saying. Don't disagree. You have to judge what is best for your situation.
For myself it became apparent there was no way to provide effective protection here.
I could lose too much in a single break in. So I spread it out.

I understand what you're saying. Don't disagree. You have to judge what is best for your situation.
For myself it became apparent there was no way to provide effective protection here.
I could lose too much in a single break in. So I spread it out.

Dogs.

Security system.

Cameras.

-And sharks with FREEKEN LASER BEAMS!

snl-6-1260x822.jpg

All things the average criminal dirt bag dislikes. Most will simply move onto another target of opportunity.

Combine all of the above, or several. Greatly reduces risk of breaking in, and defending yourself & loved ones with lethal force.

Even if police are no longer responding to security alarms, they alert you these days. So greatly reduces the amount of time dirtbag thieves have to dirt bag, if you are not home.

Hence, this is a great thread to give members ideas on how to secure valuables "enough" to dissuade dirtbags trying to get into whatever storage cabinet/whatnot, which takes time.

A standard HON lockable 4-drawer file cabinet that I got free as Hanford surplus works pretty well for me.
For a capacity comparison, each drawer easily holds 4,500 rds of 5.56 x 45 (9 boxes x 500 rds/box).
I could stuff a few hundred more rounds in there, but that would require more Jenga skilz than I want to mess with.
I imagine you could put a dolly under it if you really wanted mobility.

I have since relocated the 5,000 rds in the boxes on top and the 1,700-odd rounds in the ammo cans to another file cabinet in another closet.
The cabinets remain locked and they live behind closed closet doors in my office/study and den. They just look like ordinary file cabinets now.
Very unassuming...

View attachment 860891
so you don't think the WOLF ammo on top is a tell for some thief that reads?

I would very much suggest keeping your ammo inside your house. The climate control will keep it good for decades. Maybe you shoot enough that it all cycles through, but I have a huge base of ammo that I will probably never shoot, but I have it in case. So I want it to stay healthy. I just keep it all in sealed ammo cans in a normal pantry cabinet I installed a little lock in.

I got several of those heavy duty shelves from Costco:

View attachment 845355

The non-sale price is about $160, sale price is about $130. They go on sale about once a quarter?

Very heavy duty. I would not put a lot of ammo on anything lighter weight. I have about 75K rounds of ammo. Costco also sells their "pallet" shelves which are heavier duty yet - but they are expensive - about $430? The shelving above is adequate for ammo IMO/IME, but if you are truly loading pallets onto shelves then get the pallet shelving.

I am transferring ammo from plastic ammo cans to metal. I found the Plano "cans" to be too lightweight for ammo. MTM are much better, and the USGI surplus cans to be the best. Occasionally Costco has two cans - .50 & .30 size - together for $20. These are black instead of green, but are good quality IMO.

IMO the metal cans are the most protective/durable. I've had experience with them being damaged and they hold up better than the plastic ones. Given the current market value, and the value in a SHTF scenario, I strongly prefer the metal cans.

I would not get cans larger than "fat .50" for hand carried ammo - anything larger is going to be difficult/awkward to move due to size/weight if you have to move it quickly. I do have much larger cans, but they are not for ammo or items of that mass density.

I had to evacuate last year (wildfire) and could not take my ammo as I only had 5 minutes notice. That made me think again about how to store my ammo and making it easier to bug out with the ammo.

Also, I am now thinking of building some fire resistant drywall (Type X/C drywall - https://www.perfection-drywall-painting.com/the-difference-between-type-x-and-c-drywall/ ) around the the outside and top of the shelving I have for ammo, and putting a waterproof layer on the top shelf - making it into a cabinet.
I use one like this but I added 1/2" plywood as the weight of some of the ammo cans can make the shelves sag a bit, plus they slide more easily on the plywood.

converted an old cheap Stack On gun cabinet to an ammo locker with simple DIY wood scrap shelf. Lock keeps the kids out and bolted to a wall stud in an obvious place in the garage wastes 10 precious minutes a home thieves time.
View attachment 845252
Exactly what I plan on doing. I got one of these back after the folks passed away (I'd given it to Dad when I bought a safe). Might even have a little room for a long gun or two left over. Not safe strong, but good quality tool box strong. Wouldn't be hard to add casters first.

Nobody is concerned about fires?

Of course! That's why my ammo was left in it's original packaging and then put into ammo cans. The US military has studied this extensively as they do not want troops being killed in case of a fire near an ammo dump. Ammo cans in a fire do not "blow up". The individual rounds will all cook off in turn and do not penetrate the can/it stays contained inside. My ammo cans went then into the cabinets. this was for storage, not for fire suppression, the ammo cans do that. However, although in an ammo can you won't be injured if it cooks off, be aware that a chambered round in a firearm can kill someone if it cooks off in a fire and the barrel is pointing the wrong way. Trigger lock will not assist at all.

In my view:

1st) Keep ammo in military ammo cans. ( ( carefully check the ammo can rubber seals AND also use a dehumidifier to keep moisture out of the air, but that's me)

2nd) Do not keep all of your guns loaded, only the few for self defense and think about muzzle control and direction of aim in the (unlikely) event of a fire and where the fire control personal will be- for their safety.

3) Recommended to not store loose ammo inside of your firearm safe with your weapons. A fire will cause the ammo to destroy your firearms. Look that up, but just don't do it (I have at times - even knowing the risks too).

Now, about storing 55 gallons of gasoline inside of a building you are living in....brrrrrrr............shivers................

Last Edited:
where would you have me store it?
In an outbuilding.

I built a cheapie simple shed specifically for storing gasoline & other volatiles. It's also big enough for most of our propane.

Mind, our stowage is likely much less than yours. Still wasn't having it in the garage, no way. At our other house stowed such in a trailer. Was a hassle when needed the trailer, so this house built the cheapie shed.

Just an extra pallet plywood shipping box with an angled hinged lid out of sheathing ply. Oversized and painted the sheathing to keep the weather off of the other ply.

Mentioning such only as an example of how simple. Wouldn't work for a drum(s). However other simple setups could...

Last Edited:
so you don't think the WOLF ammo on top is a tell for some thief that reads?
I'ma gonna score you 0 points for readin' comprehension, there, 41.
Go back and read my post again, payin' partic'lar attention to the second paragraph... ;)

Assumes that you have an opener.

But yes, with or without opener, a lot of rollup doors are vulnerable. But then so are houses - most have glass windows that can be armored (film) but are not.
Then there is the full on 'Legacy' option. In other words your kids or gkids will be using your property forever.

Screenshot_20210506-083229_DuckDuckGo.jpg

With a whole room for guns, ammo & valuables you can dispense with the rest.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top