JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think that most of us already have lots of rounds for what we shoot, having bought them all along the way.

Those of us who will reload to one degree or another run into our version of "empty shelves". But I've found what I need to reload 308 and 6.5CM. Just have to search for it. I'll find 1#ers not 8#. Bullets I've hoarded and primers I'm on everyone's "Notify me lists"!

The people who are buying the limit of 2 boxes at a time can easily shoot those 100 in one range trip. Being short (on Ammo) causes more stress. Buying 2-500 can set you back but can restock your shelves too.

Ok.
Another question. Have you and or anyone else visually seen a brick of 22 on the shelf lately? I'd like to hear a yes or two. Love to get 10 of those soon

I have seen .22 in many smaller stores, but selling for high prices and probably with limits on the amount a single person can purchase (Puget Sound to Central Washington)... My observation is that those who are still getting ammo/ reloading supplies at reasonable prices are doing a lot of footwork and perhaps mixed with some luck. I frequently visit in person, stores nearby or when I travel that sell theses items. I also spend a lot time on websites like this checking the classifieds for recent listings. About two weeks ago the Cabelas near me, just happened to stock the shelves with buckets of .22LR when I got there. 825 rounds per bucket and I had them price match the lowest price I could find on the internet, about $40 per bucket (I bought multiple buckets)...
Most small pistol and rifle primers I have were purchased in the same manner (not at Cabelas). Multiple stops, on multiple days (or phone calls), usually for nothing in stock, but I now have plenty of both, purchased at pre-covid prices during the middle of the primer shortage... Reloading bullets I buy online from places that offer free shipping with a minimum order. If the item I want is not in stock, I request an email alert for when it is restocked and I act quickly when I get the alert.
Yes,,, this approach is a pain in the b___, wastes time and there is no guarantee of success... The alternative methods/choices are to do without or pay the going high rates on auction sites.
Obviously, the best approach was those who prepared ahead for situations like this.

Prices will drop as soon as the manufacturers decide to start putting it back in the market. Seems like they're all holding back to make a few extra dollars.

I think the shortage of primers available to the average reloader is due primarily to ammunition manufacturers using their leverage as huge bulk buyers of primers, pressuring primer manufacturers to sell almost all output to them..

Ammo manufacturers can sell their products as fast as they can create it, but they are also hindered by a lack of primers. I would imagine they use their buying power to their advantage.

I could be wrong but I think we are experiencing another round of opportunists buying up the ammo and now primers and scalping them. As soon as those paying the double or more prices get tired of it or believe they have enough they will stop buying, when the scalpers stocks start piling up they will lower prices to sell it off and stocks in stores will eventually start to return.

Anyone selling more than a few hundred most likely are just selling off from their stash. As if you find any available, most places will only allow a few hundred max bought. Saw a primer deal going down in Cabellas parking lot last Sat. w/ several 1k bricks handed off. Did not want to interrupt and ask what the selling price was.

I don't think anyone is buying primers and hording them to jack up the price. There just aren't any. I spent a good portion of this morning looking for wholesale primers and was told over and over, no primers at least until after the first of the year. The jacked up price primers are small time peoples closet stock. I think all the major ammo makes are gobbling all the primers to make their ammo and not leaveing any to trickle down to the rest of us.

THIS. ;)

The demand for loaded ammo is so high the guys that make the primers, are using everything they have. Vrs. selling their surplus production. Nothing new, just history repeating its self.

Personally, if I was a commercial reloader I would be going after the international ammunition manufacturers for primers. The US manufacturers are going to be busy for a while. Partner with some other US small independent commercial reloaders to increase your buying potential (cash available) to allow economy of scale for a larger purchase. This would open some doors. Inquiring about $1M purchase vrs. $1K purchase tends to get more of a reaction.

Take a company like Cacak Srbija (Serbia) KOMPANIJA SLOBODA - SRBIJA Reach out to a Serbian broker to cut a deal for you to by 100million SPP for $1.5M USD (guessing here of course) As long as that broker has ties to an exporter to the US, they should be able to deal with the importation needs to pull this off. The hard US $$ talks overseas. If 4 independent reloading companies each came in with $375k they would have the $1.5M buying power.

I think with all of the political chaos being sown right now.... its not going to stop any time soon.

If Biden wins, it goes into overdrive for a while... if Dems win back Senate and keep the house.... this crap continues indefinitely until the bans happen.

If Trump wins, the amount of political violence and uncertainty will continue to make the shortages a reality for at least a year...

If the chaos intensifies over a disputed election and becomes routinely violent from both sides.... then I think you have what you have, prices go through the roof and availability drops dramatically... depending on the scale of violence, there may even be supply chain disruptions or manufacturing shut down...
You are spot on, these prices will be high for sometime.

I wonder how many people buy more ammo and components during fat times, versus lean times? I suspect that there's a sizable percentage among us who stock up during times like now when things are hard to get.

During fat times, the thought process is "The store shelves are full; I can always get what I want whenever I want it. I'll buy just what I need for today's trip to the range."

During lean times, its "OMG! The shelves are bare! I better grab what I can because it will never be available again! I better buy 20 years worth just in case!"

I also suspect, no, I know, that many among us actually enjoy the game. They enjoy the hunt, stopping in a Bimart daily to look for primers, .22lr, 5.56 or 9mm on the shelves, and the feeling of excitement and satisfaction when they score a box or two. They love to scour the internet, download apps, and wait at the sporting goods counter at 5am. A lot of these guys have huge quantities squirreled away, but are always on the hunt for more. I really rather wish they wouldn't do that, because that kind of thing may not necessarily be responsible for the shortages, but it sure makes them worse.

I wonder how many people buy more ammo and components during fat times, versus lean times? I suspect that there's a sizable percentage among us who stock up during times like now when things are hard to get.

During fat times, the thought process is "The store shelves are full; I can always get what I want whenever I want it. I'll buy just what I need for today's trip to the range."

During lean times, its "OMG! The shelves are bare! I better grab what I can because it will never be available again! I better buy 20 years worth just in case!"

I also suspect, no, I know, that many among us actually enjoy the game. They enjoy the hunt, stopping in a Bimart daily to look for primers, .22lr, 5.56 or 9mm on the shelves, and the feeling of excitement and satisfaction when they score a box or two. They love to scour the internet, download apps, and wait at the sporting goods counter at 5am. A lot of these guys have huge quantities squirreled away, but are always on the hunt for more. I really rather wish they wouldn't do that, because that kind of thing may not necessarily be responsible for the shortages, but it sure makes them worse.
I'm a little of both. I've paid too much for a gun a few times but I only buy ammo when it's cheap. Never regretted any bulk ammo purchase, but I can tell you about a $600 bath I took on a rifle I just had to have at the time. I've probably lost even more than that since a new model came out.

I'm a little of both. I've paid too much for a gun a few times but I only buy ammo when it's cheap. Never regretted any bulk ammo purchase, but I can tell you about a $600 bath I took on a rifle I just had to have at the time. I've probably lost even more than that since a new model came out.
Picked up a Henry Big Boy a few years back-- one of my "always wanted one of these" guns. Then they came out with the side gate. Luckily I wasn't ever planning on moving it on, but now it's a certainty...:rolleyes:

In agreement, never over pay for ammo, or components for that matter. Period.

Components are for lean times such as these, I'll roll my own rather than break into the factory stash. Factory rounds will be reserved for self defense, not target practice during lean times.

I'll fare this crunch just fine, having packed in primers and powder before they completely disappeared this time around. Having been through a few of these, it's a matter of steadily building your supplies, over time. A box of ammo here, a thousand primers there, a pound of powder over there...

Now having said that, if I run into primers at $25-$30/1k, I'm all over them. Same for powder or realistically priced factory ammo. Prices I paid in January and February are the prices I'm willing to pay today.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top