JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Unfortunately I work for a company that has a strict firearms policy in place that does not allow me to carry inside of our building. Consequently I am forced to leave my carry firearm in my vehicle during the day (in a securely bolted and locking cabinet mounted to my vehicles frame). With the weather producing 90+ degree heat am I potentially causing unfavorable conditions for my defense ammo? I know moisture and temperature fluctuation can cause some issues but does heat?

:huh::huh::s0155::s0155::huh::huh:

I wouldn't with lubricated lead bullets, but I haven't heard of any problems with the components.

My suggestion is to park in the shade. Last year through the heat of the day, I was parking in the sun. The temperature reached well over 150 degrees. Now I park on the other side of the lot in one of the spots that has consistent shade. Now if the temp outside is 90, the temp inside is about 80. (My car is black with dark grey interior.) The difference is amazing.

Also, if possible, put it in the trunk. No windows there to allow the heat in...

I wouldn't with lubricated lead bullets, but I haven't heard of any problems with the components.

My suggestion is to park in the shade. Last year through the heat of the day, I was parking in the sun. The temperature reached well over 150 degrees. Now I park on the other side of the lot in one of the spots that has consistent shade. Now if the temp outside is 90, the temp inside is about 80. (My car is black with dark grey interior.) The difference is amazing.

Also, if possible, put it in the trunk. No windows there to allow the heat in...

Unfortunately the asphalt jungle reigns supreme at my place of employment, No shade anywhere. I also don't have a trunk, SUV. I think I'll pile some blankets and clothes on top of the lock box just to insulate it a bit more from the heat. Thanks!

Sorry, but I don't think that blankets will help. Insulation only slows the energy transfer, but won't stop it.

You should keep a box of ammo in your SUV for the next few months. At the end of the summer, take them to the range. If they perform, you can conclude that there is no problem for next summer.

This summer, you may consider just changing out your carry rounds every 30 days or so.

Is your company's policy against firearms without mention of ammo? If there is no mention, you could consider bringing the ammo inside while leaving the firearm in the car. It is a thin line, but worth considering.

I checked some of the other forums and the opinion seems pretty consistent. Some degradation may occur, but unknown. Rotate ammo frequently. Low chance of cooking one off.

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-268996.html

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=4523636

<broken link removed>

This point was made:
Just think about all the ammo that rides around in police car trunks all over the US.
A police car trunk here in TX can get very hot. Ammo has to get several hundred degrees
from what I have heard to even get close. Also, it should not affect the performance of the
ammo either. I regularly fire ammo from the 1940s- long before air conditioning was common and I have not experienced problems.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/ammo/90975-firearms-ammo-hot-car.html

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3491612

I never thought about taking the ammo in with me. Great idea. The policy is only "NO FIREARMS". We bring ammo in all the time. I think I'll do that.

Also, FWIW (old thread, I know)...

In So. Cal it was REGULARLY 115 degrees during the summer. Our range quals would have us leaving cases of ammunition inside trunks, on top of hoods, in truck beds for three days at a time, and we never ever had any problem whatsoever.

****, our boys and girls in Afghanistan and Iraq are suffering through 130 degrees, and they haven't had any failures due to heat (that I'm aware of, and I read a lot of firearms forums )

Also, FWIW (old thread, I know)...

In So. Cal it was REGULARLY 115 degrees during the summer. Our range quals would have us leaving cases of ammunition inside trunks, on top of hoods, in truck beds for three days at a time, and we never ever had any problem whatsoever.

****, our boys and girls in Afghanistan and Iraq are suffering through 130 degrees, and they haven't had any failures due to heat (that I'm aware of, and I read a lot of firearms forums )

That's the first thing I thought of, as well - Afghanistan.

If the original poster is really concerned, he could put the mags in a thermos or something. But personally, I wouldn't worry about it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top