JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I had a potential buyer ask me if I ever got to XYZ Town. I said it was 2 hours out of my territory. I offered to deliver it to him for an extra $100 and he declined.

No muss, no fuss. I wasn't insulted and I don't think the buyer was, either.

Negotiation. It ain't personal.

Am I out of line expecting middle ground here?
I would say:
1) You are not out of line
2) I would NOT have someone come to MY house to buy a firearm unless it is someone I already know.
3) Put in you add that you will meet the buyer at a public place, like a shooting range if one is accessable, or mwwt them half way between where you both live, IN A PUBLIC setting.

I would say:
1) You are not out of line
2) I would NOT have someone come to MY house to buy a firearm unless it is someone I already know.
3) Put in you add that you will meet the buyer at a public place, like a shooting range if one is accessable, or mwwt them half way between where you both live, IN A PUBLIC setting.

Ahhhhh. Virginia, where face to face gun sales/buys are still allowed! ? I remember it fondly!

Since this horse isn't dead yet I'll just leave this here.
Place a add on Gunbroker, it will be sold, you will get your funds, send it through shipmygun.com (fast-legal), you won't have to drive anywhere, done.....;)

I have a pistol for sale. Had a few pm's on it. Seems like even though I'm at pre-covid prices, and a darn hard to find, not easy to get pistol, I'm expected to drive almost to their front door.

Damn, is it to much to expect middle ground here? Ya know, fair? One heck of a deal and they want a 10 minute drive but want me to do a 4 hour, round trip drive, plus a two way ferry toll?

When I bought the thing I drive 3 hours to pick it up. TWICE.

I don't think you are, but don't expect to sell the gun anytime soon, either.

Just had a deal go down in the PMs. A forum member from around Vancouver, WA. asked me if I'd be up his way anytime soon so he could meet me at an FFL near Vancouver and in his words "inspect the gun before he makes up his mind". I advised him that I would most likely never be up that way. I let him know it would be a 195 mile round trip and for $40 I would make it happen. Of course his message came in the day after I dropped the price of my gun from $920 obo to $850 I advised him of the discount even though I knew he'd been eagle eyeing my thread previously. I mentioned to him that $40 wasn't going to put him out if he was truly interested. Long story short he ended up pulling the cheap skate card along with the tire kicker badge. I don't care to deal with folks like that so I blocked him. Sorry but I'm not your free gun Uber.

I have a pistol for sale. Had a few pm's on it. Seems like even though I'm at pre-covid prices, and a darn hard to find, not easy to get pistol, I'm expected to drive almost to their front door.

Damn, is it to much to expect middle ground here? Ya know, fair? One heck of a deal and they want a 10 minute drive but want me to do a 4 hour, round trip drive, plus a two way ferry toll?

Not out of line at all, set your terms, and price a little higher on the original post and just be patient. I do my best never to lose money on a firearm. ESPECIALLY in this wild Wild West of a market. Just raise your price and state your terms. You'll find a buyer ;):s0005:

just out of curiosity what are ya selling?

Big difference between being accommodating and being used, only you can decide just how accommodating you want to be. Peoples idea of "fair" is relative, I've driven great distances to the seller for guns that I really wanted and as a seller I won't drive more than 20 miles to meet, my choice.

Lipsey's exclusuve Sig P220 elite 10mm SAO. And other stuff to go with it. It will sell. Just irritated by the tire kickers that want me to drive 4-6 hours round trip just so they can look at it. I try to just ignore them.

The original post was to vent about the sense of entitlement some people have. Not about the lowballers or not selling fast. I'm in no hurry.:D:D

The very unusual rifle sold fast, despite being priced a little high. The S&W 65 sold fast, it was priced good for the times, maybe a bit low, but the buyer seems like someone I'd like to meet. And he's willing to meet halfway.:cool:

Im in no hurry. Since my daughter died I have no heir. The debt piled up a bit but it's manageable. I just want to download and become a little more mobile. Nothing to hold me here anymore. Time to streamline and trim dead weight. Many guns and other things to sell. Harley, 52' yacht, a couple houses. It's all going to sell. I just need to not let little things bother me.

It's only been 7 months, guess I'm still a little raw.:(

Last Edited:
Lipsey's exclusuve Sig P220 elite 10mm SAO. And other stuff to go with it. It will sell. Just irritated by the tire kickers that want me to drive 4-6 hours round trip just so they can look at it. I try to just ignore them.

The original post was to vent about the sense of entitlement some people have. Not about the lowballers or not selling fast. I'm in no hurry.:D:D

The very unusual rifle sold fast, despite being priced a little high. The S&W 65 sold fast, it was priced good for the times, maybe a bit low, but the buyer seems like someone I'd like to meet. And he's willing to meet halfway.:cool:

Im in no hurry. Since my daughter died I have no heir. The debt piled up a bit but it's manageable. I just want to download and become a little more mobile. Nothing to hold me here anymore. Time to streamline and trim dead weight. Many guns and other things to sell. Harley, 52' yacht, a couple houses. It's all going to sell. I just need to not let little things bother me.

It's only been 7 months, guess I'm still a little raw.:(
I'm sorry that your daughter was taken from you early. I can completely understand the downsize to be mobile, but I can't imagine having that choice sorta forced sooner with the loss of family.

Don't sell your HD unless you are literally about to join the homeless. You may find it a blessing in your new life. Riding a Harley can be a balm for the soul.
My wife and I are going through the same procedure of getting shet of a lifetime's accumulation of things we don't use.

With the influx of newer members here we certainly have gained a fair amount flakes. I got stood up on an agreed meet up on a rifle recently and now have another guy who seems legit and we have an agreed meet up at my ffl this week so we shall see. Guy who flaked off with no communication actually just asked if it was still available. I will ignore him and not respond as anything I have to say to him would likely be less than excellent. I have to say the majority of my dealings here have been positive.

Layout your specific sale requirements (meet-up parameters) in your ad.
That should cut down on the nonsense responses.

I never expected my little rant to generate so many responses. Thank you all for the support, advice, and even the criticism. All of it was educational.

On that note, let's turn this dead horse into something educational for me and others that want to sell but have concerns. This will also help new buyers to know what to expect. Kind of a how to sell/buy with a minimum of risk to both.

How about it? I know they're are many good sellers here. :cool:

How do you get paid?
Preferred payment method?
How do you get the gun to the buyer if it's not a FTF?
What do you do if the buyer fails the backgroung check in a state that has one? Will the recieving FFL ship it back to your FFL?
What if the buyer isn't happy with what he gets? I would think that if he leaves his FFL with it, it's a completed sale. Opinion?

Share your knowledge. :) Give us a step by step "How to safely and legally sell your gun" And a "How to safely/legally buy a gun from forum classifieds"

Maybe we can get Joe Link to make a sticky somewhere. I looked and didn't find anything.

Thank you.

Last Edited:
Layout your specific sale requirements (meet-up parameters) in your ad.
That should cut down on the nonsense responses.
One would think, hope and pray for.

How do you get paid? (Cash is king, USPS MO prior to shipping, cashed out at Post Office to weed out fraud)
Preferred payment method? (see above)
How do you get the gun to the buyer if it's not a FTF? (Used shipmygun.com, absolutely painless, tracking and insurance)
What do you do if the buyer fails the backgroung check in a state that has one? Will the recieving FFL ship it back to your FFL? (No, not my deal, the burden is on them to find somebody who can own it. My transaction is done. Only in the instance the firearm has been deemed unsafe will I recover it)

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top