JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm fairly new to the forum, so I never realized there was so much hate for the "do you ever get to the _____________ area?" replies to ads. Fortunately I've never thrown one of those out to a seller here, but confess that I have thought about it. In the past, I've done a couple of deals on Craigslist or Armslist like that. In one case, the seller and I were both going to the same local archery 3D shoot. In the other case the response was "yeah, my mom lives there". Based on this thread, I will refrain from posing that question on this forum.

Personally it doesn't really bother me. There's usually no way to know what the attitude behind it is, whether it's "Bring it to me and I might buy it", or "It's hard for me to travel, any chance you're coming this way anyhow?"

There is a difference, and I really don't see the harm in asking. No, it's definitely not worth my time to drive an hour each way to sell $100 worth of surplus ammo, but if I end up going that way anyhow, I'm glad to do it. This exact thing happened last week. The buyer asked if I could meet partway, and when I said I couldn't, he was fine to come to me but it would take a few days. No problem, I'm rarely in a hurry. Then the next day I ended up needing to make a trip in his direction, and it worked well to drop it off and save him a trip.

Never hurts to ask, in the right way. People travel all over, all the time, and some people just like to take a drive. Some people have a hard time traveling at all. You never know.

I dunno. I live in Bend and it always seems that everything I want is in Portland or WA. Due to work or the weather, it isn't always easy to drive up. Some people don't like to ship either, which I understand. That said, I've had really good luck working out ways to meet up with members here and am not afraid to ask for someone split the drive with me. However... I don't haggle price, offer to pay my transfer, and never flake. From my experience, most of the guys that have been here for a while and have some positive feedback are really easy to work with and I appreciate that!

If the time comes that someone refuses to travel at all, that's fine too. There may be circumstances in their life that prevent a day trip. It's certainly not the end of the world. Give em a quick, "Thanks for your time. GLWS!" and move on.

I'm fairly new to the forum, so I never realized there was so much hate for the "do you ever get to the _____________ area?" replies to ads. Fortunately I've never thrown one of those out to a seller here, but confess that I have thought about it. In the past, I've done a couple of deals on Craigslist or Armslist like that. In one case, the seller and I were both going to the same local archery 3D shoot. In the other case the response was "yeah, my mom lives there". Based on this thread, I will refrain from posing that question on this forum.

Don't worry about asking that question. If a seller takes offence to just the question he's the one with the problem.

As a seller I am very hesitant to drive too far out of the way, especially if I don't have a very positive feeling the deal will go through.
It's easy enough for someone to back out and driving all of that way, being out the time and gas money, isn't a risk I'm willing to take. I've made a few trips across the border to sell a handgun and a few longer trips where we split the difference, but I'm less likely to do that anymore.

I guess it all boils down to "how bad do you want to sell"?

Living as I do "A bridge too far"...as in way north of most forum members , makes for a difficult time to meet up , either with a classified deal or meet and greet.

For me , meeting up to make a deal , is a serious matter in time , money and gas , I will do so if I feel that the other party is committed to making a deal.
And if I can't come through on my end...I will let the other party know ASAP...as their time , money and gas is worth a lot to them.

As far as the OP being outta line...
Well..
Its his sale ad , and should be done at his terms and conditions.
With that said...some flexibility with terms and conditions will make for a easier transaction,
Andy

I can tell we are all bored and looking for something to chat about. That's good, if this Pandemic Crap ever gets over with we can start our response to adds with............ 'HAVE CASH WILL TRAVEL'

Stay Safe Gents

I really didn't think my little vent would stir up so much. Enlightening. Easier to see both sides of things. But I wasn't looking to cause trouble.

I mostly buy. I always meet the seller at the place of his choosing. I just assumed that is the way things are done. I haven't sold much, but it aleays went well, met some good people too..

Some eye opening posts.

I really didn't think my little vent would stir up so much. Enlightening. Easier to see both sides of things. But I wasn't looking to cause trouble.

I mostly buy. I always meet the seller at the place of his choosing. I just assumed that is the way things are done. I haven't sold much, but it aleays went well, met some good people too..

Some eye opening posts.

Vent all you want! It's not a problem for me. Not my circus, not my monkeys. I certainly hope my sharing of my take on buying and selling wasn't too troubling for you.

Last call: I had a biz that involved a lot of marketing. In marketing my biz, I couldn't afford to "assume" everybody was just like me. I had to learn not to look at things from my own point of view, but from the other guys point of view. This works well for many things in life.

Last Edited:
There is nothing wrong with asking that question... I live not far from downtown Seattle and if I see an ad for something I would be interested in buying or trading for from a member on the other side of Puget Sound, I ask the question if they have any plans to visit Seattle in the near future. It is a lot more likely they are planning a trip here, then that I happen to be planning on visiting Bremerton and it costs a lot to put a vehicle on a ferry... I have no problem asking the same question to someone from Ellensburg or Aberdeen. If they say no, I understand and have no problem with that. If I really want the item and I like the deal, I will travel the distance and buy it.

Me taking the time to ask the question regarding if they are traveling this direction, gives them the opportunity to to make the sell... It doesn't take much time or effort on their part to say "no".

I feel your getting too emotional over it. If they dont want to meet on your terms then they don't really want it. I know it can suck getting flakes or someone who doesn't want to meet half way or more. But it's how these days are.

I couldn't afford to "assume" everybody was just like me. I had to learn not to look at things from my own point of view, but from the other guys point of view. This works well for many things in life.

I wish this could be up voted, emphasized, shouted, once more for those in the back, and whatever else the kids are doing these days. I don't think this concept can be stressed enough, and I believe it would have a huge impact on the world around you. Get outside your reality!!!

Everything else I think has already been stated here many times

I have bought guns from members before. One was in Albany and I in Roseburg, I paid full price and we met on an I-5 exit half way between each other. That's how it works.

I have bought guns from members before. One was in Albany and I in Roseburg, I paid full price and we met on an I-5 exit half way between each other. That's how it works.
In some scenarios that's how it may work out or be negotiated into the deal. However the half way plan is quite common for trades. But not always the case for the majority of entitled folks here who expect delivery by seller. ;)

For a ten dollar item, it makes little sense to travel and use 3-gallons worth of gas, unless you're doing the whole thing for entertainment value. And I'm guilty of that. There are folks on this forum and elsewhere that I enjoy visiting with, so a drive is not out of the question. I take drives for absolutely no reason, so why not take another drive and deliver an item as an excuse to go for a drive?

For a high dollar item, an extended drive makes more sense. It may be a scarce item I'm buying, so I'm glad to drive just to get my hands on the otherwise scarce item, and/or, if I'm selling a high dollar item, a drive may be worth the bird in the hand. Other times, when I'm asked to deliver an item, I might answer yes, but I must raise the price $20 -or whatever, for gas. I love my hobby, and I don't necessarily do it just to make money. If that was the case, I would have been out of business decades ago.

Occasionally I drive to The Dalles, just to visit a gun store that I like. When I buy something there, if I was to include fuel and other travel costs, as well as my time, it may not be a bargain at all. I could cry that the trip added to the cost of the item, or I could rejoice, as I do, that I was able to meet with friends.

OP...First, I see your price as middle of the road. I don't see folks standing in line. The right person will likely come along and it will sell.

And I must ask, are you looking for encouragement to go for a drive, or are you looking for justification of why you should not?

What works for me may not work for you.

It's your item. Whatever conditions of sale are important to you, stick to your guns. Pun intended.:s0155:

WAYNO.

Last Edited:
@Tinman357 a suggestion. Ensure there is relevant information in the ad. For example, you are only willing to travel X miles from ABC city. Or, the transfer must be done in-person using one of the following stores or FFL's (include a list).

I don't reply if they cannot read...

In some scenarios that's how it may work out or be negotiated into the deal. However the half way plan is quite common for trades. But not always the case for the majority of entitled folks here who expect delivery by seller. ;)

Wow, really??? I had no idea!!!

I've only bought two guns from members here, and sold none. In both cases, the seller OFFERED to drive across the state from West to East. I did not ask for that at all.

I have asked if seller was willing to ship, but only when it wasn't stated in the ad that the seller wouldn't ship.

Will have to remember in the future that I should EXPECT to have seller deliver. Wouldn't want to buck the trend.

Wow, really??? I had no idea!!!

I've only bought two guns from members here, and sold none. In both cases, the seller OFFERED to drive across the state from West to East. I did not ask for that at all.

I have asked if seller was willing to ship, but only when it wasn't stated in the ad that the seller wouldn't ship.

Will have to remember in the future that I should EXPECT to have seller deliver. Wouldn't want to buck the trend.
Agree. No way would I expect seller to deliver. Usually meet at transfer place that is agreed upon by both for firearm or ship if that's what is agreed. But everybody is different I guess. I like to work with honest people who will work with you for a win-win transaction. Never had any problem this way. I guess the entitled folks weed themselves out and that why I don't sell to them. Or maybe I just haven't run into them yet, I dunno. For me I don't sell stuff, I just make friends. ; )

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top