JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So back on track. Yea, aluminum is quite light and problematic in many ways when it comes to crafting a slug. I don't even think about such things but I'll sure pop off some AL blazer.. especially if it's free (I reload).
Even with many popping out AL GC's out of pop cans, it still gives me the heebs as aluminum (well, everything) oxidizes and aluminum oxide is right around there in diamond hardness if I'm not mistaken.

Ok, so after going through this thread let me pile on with a few things:

1) Aluminum is a crap material for making bullets out of, it's too light, and too expensive. Steel would be a much better material and has plenty of history as a bullet material during and after WW2 Look up "Eisenkern"

2) Battery lead, may have plenty of "lead" in it, but it's in the form of sulfides, sulfates, and oxides, it's as close to metallic lead as an aluminum oxide grinding wheel is to a chunk of aluminum bar stock.

3) High temperature casting of any metal will result in greater amounts of shrinkage, lead, tin, antimony, bismuth and alloys of these materials generally all melt below 600F, the shrinkage is controlled by either having oversized mold cavities, or by using antimony's expansion as it solidifies.

4) Lead and all commodities are at a very low price. I'm pretty sure you can call seafab and order a few tons of antimonial lead (6%) or no.2 alloy for probably $1-2/lb as pigs

I have looked at swaging in the past and decided that the cost of equipment would be too great to recoup with my level of shooting. I have read all about using brass for jackets but while I can readily order and stockpile 55gr FMJ by the thousands it seems like 22LR brass is only slightly easier to locate than hen's teeth and costs just the same if I have to buy loaded 22LR.

Imagine you have no power, water, or gas and the sewer system is backing up into the street. You've got your hands full keeping warm and dry and maintaining a secure supply of food and fresh water. After a dinner of cat stew you're going to slip into the garage for a quiet evening of turning car batteries and 22LR brass into bullets that you could have purchased years ago for under $0.09 each? It never hurts to have the ability to swage bullets or reload in a SHTF situation, but what you really need is a good supply of ammo ready to go so that you can focus on staying alive.

If you make ammo out of car batteries you probably won't be able to remember you need to cut firewood. I can turn out 150 to 200 bullets an hour on my LCT at less cost than retail so why should I horde retail ammo? I like manufacturing my own ammo. If it's a chore and not a hobby you shouldn't be doing it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top