Aluminum Gun Cabinets

JohnnyMac

Reactions
This is not my ad. I just happened across it while perusing CL. Looks like maybe they were for the Salem PD vehicles but didn't work? Thought it was a good deal and unfortunately I can't take advantage of it, but maybe some of you might. Once you read the ad, you'll know as much as I do, so I can't answer any questions you might have.

Lockable Gun Cabs

Reactions
This is not my ad. I just happened across it while perusing CL. Looks like maybe they were for the Salem PD vehicles but didn't work? Thought it was a good deal and unfortunately I can't take advantage of it, but maybe some of you might. Once you read the ad, you'll know as much as I do, so I can't answer any questions you might have.

Lockable Gun Cabs
1597490796686.png

Reactions
The high, high security offered by butter soft aluminum, brought to you by Salem PD, who changed their minds
It would not be any "softer" than the plastic or thin steel you see in most locking containers you buy for cars - some of which have some wood sides.

My only concern is how to close the one end - a person would need to find some sheet aluminum, then cut it to fit, then drill holes. Otherwise it meets the definition of the law for a locked container in a vehicle (for those of us with an SUV which does not have a separate cargo space from the passenger compartment).

In short, it is better than nothing, and the aluminum alone is worth what they are asking.

Last edited:
Reactions
Anyone that has worked with aluminum knows it is not butter. People that think it is are thinking beer and pop cans. Air planes, boats, Ford pick-ups and a lot of other things that last are made of it. With that said it looks like these are made to mount under the seat, I think it would be real hard to drill out the pop rivets or cut it with a cut off wheel. Even mounted out where you could get to it be noisy time consuming. I really think someone would notice.

oldcorpgunny

Reactions

Lockable Gun Cabs
Thanks Johnny! I have one exactly like these that I keep my donuts in.

MechaNik

Reactions
Anyone that has worked with aluminum knows it is not butter. People that think it is are thinking beer and pop cans. Air planes, boats, Ford pick-ups and a lot of other things that last are made of it. With that said it looks like these are made to mount under the seat, I think it would be real hard to drill out the pop rivets or cut it with a cut off wheel. Even mounted out where you could get to it be noisy time consuming. I really think someone would notice.
Aluminum is not steel, it is very, very soft by comparison and quite weak. It's best where weight savings (airplanes, boats, pickup gvw) and heat transfer (cylinder heads, some guns parts) are paramount. Otherwise, it's inferior to steel in every way.

And with this and 4 cut off disks I can make a 2’x3’ window in the side of a “quality” steel safe like a liberty in about 15 min. 1/8” steel is easy to cut, the “fire liner” drywall board is then cut with a utility knife.

Anything is breachable with a time and the right tools. :confused:

View attachment 736129
You're also not wrong. Aluminum takes less time with lesser tools to breach.

oldcorpgunny

Reactions
Aluminum is not steel, it is very, very soft by comparison and quite weak. It's best where weight savings (airplanes, boats, pickup gvw) and heat transfer (cylinder heads, some guns parts) are paramount. Otherwise, it's inferior to steel in every way.

You're also not wrong. Aluminum takes less time with lesser tools to breach.
I've been known to open a can of Spam with a toothbrush.

OP
JohnnyMac

JohnnyMac

Reactions
I guess when I first saw these, I was thinking that one of these, mounted in a trunk or truck bed would provide just another layer of protection. Certainly it can be breached easier than steel, but it would slow down the smash and grabs and is too big to carry off the whole thing. I don't think it's a good long term storage device, but if you need to run into the courthouse for something and have to leave your firearm in the car, it beats the center console or jockey box. :s0092:

kmk1012

Reactions
I picked up two of these and glad that I did. Even if not used for gun purposes, they are extremely well made and literally require almost no effort to close up the back. There are threaded nuts formed in and ready to bolt whatever you want on it. The lock mechanism probably cost more than the $50 price. I’ve got one in my travel trailer and one out in my shop for certain things that like to walk off, lol.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Arms Collectors of SW Washington Gun Show
Battleground Community Center
912 E Main St, Battle Ground, WA 98604, USA
DRRC .22 Rimfire Challenge Oct 10
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA
Oregon State Steel Challenge Championship
Central Oregon Shooting Sports Association
Millican, OR 97701, USA
Miller's Quarry Clean-Up
Miller's Quarry
Miller Rd, Mt Hood Village, OR 97067, USA
Free Firearms Safety Course (I-1639 Compliant)
Virtual Webinar (Zoom)
Seattle, WA, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• Triple B Guns
    5.00 star(s)
    Triple B Guns
    This isn't really a review as we own the store but rather an invitation to come down and visit us. We specialize in hard to find unique guns but...
  • J&B Firearm Sales
    5.00 star(s)
    Good local shop
    Picked up a rifle yesterday from J&B. This was the second or third gun purchase over the last few years from them. I always enjoy stopping by...
  • H&K Gun Shop
    5.00 star(s)
    The only place I have found 9mm in stock
    I’ll admit I didn’t even know this place existed, as I don’t tend to go into Forest Grove often. But it’s a giant (looks bigger from the...
  • Revelation Arms
    4.00 star(s)
    Depends who answers the phone
    I was given the number to Roger Loock by Beaver Creek Armory, as I needed parts I had ordered from MCarbo installed on a Kel-Tec Sub2000. On my...
  • Coastal Farm & Ranch - Cornelius
    3.00 star(s)
    Lesson learned
    I’ll take some responsibility here, as I took the employee at their word instead of doing a thorough inspection. Short story is that I asked for a...
Top Bottom