JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The high, high security offered by butter soft aluminum, brought to you by Salem PD, who changed their minds

This is not my ad. I just happened across it while perusing CL. Looks like maybe they were for the Salem PD vehicles but didn't work? Thought it was a good deal and unfortunately I can't take advantage of it, but maybe some of you might. Once you read the ad, you'll know as much as I do, so I can't answer any questions you might have.

Lockable Gun Cabs

1597490796686.png

The high, high security offered by butter soft aluminum, brought to you by Salem PD, who changed their minds

It would not be any "softer" than the plastic or thin steel you see in most locking containers you buy for cars - some of which have some wood sides.

My only concern is how to close the one end - a person would need to find some sheet aluminum, then cut it to fit, then drill holes. Otherwise it meets the definition of the law for a locked container in a vehicle (for those of us with an SUV which does not have a separate cargo space from the passenger compartment).

In short, it is better than nothing, and the aluminum alone is worth what they are asking.

Last Edited:
If I were buying a soft aluminum security cabinet, I agree but to me the "value" of these is in scrap weight. I understand your point of view, though and you're not wrong

5 1/2" by 20" sheet of whatever is strong enough and pop rivets would seal the open end. Would fit nicely and work well under a bed.

Anyone that has worked with aluminum knows it is not butter. People that think it is are thinking beer and pop cans. Air planes, boats, Ford pick-ups and a lot of other things that last are made of it. With that said it looks like these are made to mount under the seat, I think it would be real hard to drill out the pop rivets or cut it with a cut off wheel. Even mounted out where you could get to it be noisy time consuming. I really think someone would notice.

This is not my ad. I just happened across it while perusing CL. Looks like maybe they were for the Salem PD vehicles but didn't work? Thought it was a good deal and unfortunately I can't take advantage of it, but maybe some of you might. Once you read the ad, you'll know as much as I do, so I can't answer any questions you might have.

Lockable Gun Cabs
Thanks Johnny! I have one exactly like these that I keep my donuts in.

Anyone that has worked with aluminum knows it is not butter. People that think it is are thinking beer and pop cans. Air planes, boats, Ford pick-ups and a lot of other things that last are made of it. With that said it looks like these are made to mount under the seat, I think it would be real hard to drill out the pop rivets or cut it with a cut off wheel. Even mounted out where you could get to it be noisy time consuming. I really think someone would notice.
Aluminum is not steel, it is very, very soft by comparison and quite weak. It's best where weight savings (airplanes, boats, pickup gvw) and heat transfer (cylinder heads, some guns parts) are paramount. Otherwise, it's inferior to steel in every way.

And with this and 4 cut off disks I can make a 2'x3' window in the side of a "quality" steel safe like a liberty in about 15 min. 1/8" steel is easy to cut, the "fire liner" drywall board is then cut with a utility knife.

Anything is breachable with a time and the right tools. :confused:

View attachment 736129

You're also not wrong. Aluminum takes less time with lesser tools to breach.

Aluminum is not steel, it is very, very soft by comparison and quite weak. It's best where weight savings (airplanes, boats, pickup gvw) and heat transfer (cylinder heads, some guns parts) are paramount. Otherwise, it's inferior to steel in every way.

You're also not wrong. Aluminum takes less time with lesser tools to breach.
I've been known to open a can of Spam with a toothbrush.

I guess when I first saw these, I was thinking that one of these, mounted in a trunk or truck bed would provide just another layer of protection. Certainly it can be breached easier than steel, but it would slow down the smash and grabs and is too big to carry off the whole thing. I don't think it's a good long term storage device, but if you need to run into the courthouse for something and have to leave your firearm in the car, it beats the center console or jockey box. :s0092:

I picked up two of these and glad that I did. Even if not used for gun purposes, they are extremely well made and literally require almost no effort to close up the back. There are threaded nuts formed in and ready to bolt whatever you want on it. The lock mechanism probably cost more than the $50 price. I've got one in my travel trailer and one out in my shop for certain things that like to walk off, lol.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top