Safes and Cabinets - Where are the shallow/wide ones?

Reactions
I'm moving into my own place, and feel the need to go from trigger locks to a locking metal cabinet. I'm not really looking for quick access or extreme security, just want to make it harder for someone to walk off with my grand-dad's 1894 Winchester, etc.

In looking at them, I keep seeing these awkward cabinets that are square (seen from the top or bottom) that are "16" or "10 but actually hold 6-10 if you awkwardly interweave them. The best I've seen are rated 12-16 and can actually fit about 5-8 in a row, but any more than that end up on the sides blocking or bumping the others. The inside dimensions of this one *here* are pretty cool, but ... the whole thing still has a square footprint?

Why? Why not make them 10 inches deep and 2 feet wide like the wood/glass cabinets? Is it about people not tipping them over on themselves?

Reactions

Legs

Reactions
Homak makes a pretty decent and inexpensive gun cabinet that can be bolted to studs and floor. Probably have one in the dimensions you seek. I have two of the 8 gun cabinets. Not a safe, but heavy gauge sheet metal with dual keyed cylinder locks. What sold me on these was a news story from El Salvador during their attempted marxist revolution back in the eighties. A red cross aide station had one of the Homak cabinets installed to store meds and geurrillas raided the station and attempted to pry open the cabinet. When that failed they taped a grenade to it. Still couldn't get it open. I bought one the next day.
Any cabinet or safe can be defeated, but one must consider just what level of security one desires. For simply keeping the kids, and the smash and dash thieves out the Homak is a good candidate.

Dinglenutz

Reactions
I bought a couple standard welded steel office cabinets and one of them I'm planning to RivNut and 3D print some custom parts so I can hang a dozen or so AR pattern firearms by the mag wells inside. If it comes out I'll post pics. Other brackets are possible to print.

DLS

Reactions
Sentry, Stack-on and a number of others make what you are after. They also make pistol / ammo lockers that fit right on top.

Hit Amazon and search for "gun locker" a d you will see the many options.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Albany Rifle & Pistol Club (ARPC) Gun Show 2021 show is cancelled
Linn County Expo Center
3700 Knox Butte Rd E, Albany, OR 97322, USA
22 Rimfire Challenge
Redmond Rod and Gun Club
Redmond, OR 97756, USA
Rimfire Challenge May 8th @ DRRC
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• HighLine Firearms
    5.00 star(s)
    One of the best!
    I have bought from online and in person. Great store, he had things I did not know were needed. I try and recommend Highline Firearms to people I...
  • Copeland Custom Gunworks
    5.00 star(s)
    The only gunsmith I'll use
    Tim has done a few projects for me and the result is always the same. Amazing. End of story. From complete refinish to custom machining, Tim is...
    5.00 star(s)
    great work refinishing my 27 year old 1991 a1 compact colt .45
    Tim did a great job making my gun look brand new again and replacing the old parts inside. Super Happy!!
  • Lucky Sporting Goods
    5.00 star(s)
    Just a transfer but a great one. A+
    Came here today to meet another forum member to buy a Glock. Was the best transfer I've had the pleasure of doing. Even though I was just there...
    5.00 star(s)
    Great work threading Tikka barrel
    I dropped off my Tikka to have Tim thread the stainless barrel. GREAT work. Excellent communications. Highly recommend Tim. Very good value for...
Top Bottom