JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
After you run out try H110.:oops: It burns a lot cleaner and slightly tighter groups. Several hundred fps faster than 2400 for the same pressure.:rolleyes: The 357 magnum
was the first cartridge I started reloading in 1979. In the early 80's I got
into 44 mag shooting and reloading.:D
Another option would be Accurate No. 9. I found it be more flexible than H-110/W-296. With Accurate No. 9, you can back it off a bit and still have decent accuracy. W-296 and H-110 seem to be best at near or maximum loadings. I don't shoot .44 Magnums anymore, but still load for .357 Magnum, and have started using Power Pistol. It provides velocity within 100 fps of W-296 with about half the charge weight. Accuracy seems good to go as well.

Another option would be Accurate No. 9. I found it be more flexible than H-110/W-296. With Accurate No. 9, you can back it off a bit and still have decent accuracy. W-296 and H-110 seem to be best at near or maximum loadings. I don't shoot .44 Magnums anymore, but still load for .357 Magnum, and have started using Power Pistol. It provides velocity within 100 fps of W-296 with about half the charge weight. Accuracy seems good to go as well.
I'm running AA9 currently and I like it. It has a pretty open range of loadings which is one thing I'm interested in with the 2400. After all my research into loads, pressures and velocities 2400 seems to have what I'm looking for. 296/110 just doesn't like downloads and I want velocity with lower pressure, particularly as I have lots of barrel to get the lead up to speed. That said, #9 is a lot easier to find around here than 2400...

I gave up 2400 years ago and use UNIQUE for my 44 mag. Burns good out of a 7 inch barrel /is accurate and pressure is not too high. 40 plus years of reloading. Only takes around 12 grains to get a good load.:):)

I gave up 2400 years ago and use UNIQUE for my 44 mag. Burns good out of a 7 inch barrel /is accurate and pressure is not too high. 40 plus years of reloading. Only takes around 12 grains to get a good load.:):)
That's a common thread, but I have 20" of barrel and I'm looking for a slower peak than unique gives. How is it for load range (i.e. min-max load)?

So the 2400 was a bit of a disappointment in the 45LC. 250gn LRNFP over 15-20gn in 0.5gn increments. All sooted pretty badly around the case mouth and even at the top of what I was comfortable with at 20gn still seemed like it was having trouble sealing the breech with the brass. Back to the AA#9! Thank you all for your insights and wisdom!!!

Data from a friend with a copy of quickLOAD showed dangerous pressures at the higher loadings of the ladder (16gn+) with the 2400. Suggested HS-6 as an alternate. Made me concerned with my loads of AA#9 at 17.5 gn as well. Might be time to pick up a copy myself for safer tinkering.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top