JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The sky is falling, the sky is falling.
The sky will be falling for the companies who derive their main source of revenue from sales of stabilizing braces. There probably won't be much of a market for them if they can't legally be used on pistols.

Edit: For most of us it will be an inconvenience. For others it will mean a huge loss of business and it will cost others their jobs. It will trickle through to all companies involved in manufacturing/sales of AR pistol related components. And for what gain?

Last Edited:
So is this fear mongering, just one more way for gun groups to collect money or is this just exactly what Biden/Harris said they were going to do from day one.

What the ATF is doing is fallowing the process so when it goes to court, they can say we followed protocol, asked for input but felt the comments did not justify any change and they are now determined to be stocks and they have a president and vice president to back them up just as they said they would do.

Options given are to remove and destroy them, turn them in or register the gun as an SBR for "FREE".
Nothing is ever free and as we all know there is no such thing as a free lunch, its voluntary registration

I feel they actually want this to happen more than anything because you know how voluntary registration of guns will automatically make us safer until the next shooting happens down the road, then they can say, see they cannot be trusted so now we need to do what Canada/Australia/England did and ban all those registered guns, so now "turn them all in Mr. and Mrs. America."

Believe what you want, do what you want but this administration has said from day one that they are coming for your AR/AKs and mags and I believe them, but until that can happen, they will try to take everything else they can until you have nothing left.

So is this fear mongering, just one more way for gun groups to collect money or is this just exactly what Biden/Harris said they were going to do from day one.

What the ATF is doing is fallowing the process so when it goes to court, they can say we followed protocol, asked for input but felt the comments did not justify any change and they are now determined to be stocks and they have a president and vice president to back them up just as they said they would do.

Options given are to remove and destroy them, turn them in or register the gun as an SBR for "FREE".
Nothing is ever free and as we all know there is no such thing as a free lunch, its voluntary registration

I feel they actually want this to happen more than anything because you know how voluntary registration of guns will automatically make us safer until the next shooting happens down the road, then they can say, see they cannot be trusted so now we need to do what Canada/Australia/England did and ban all those registered guns, so now "turn them all in Mr. and Mrs. America."

Believe what you want, do what you want but this administration has said from day one that they are coming for your AR/AKs and mags and I believe them, but until that can happen, they will try to take everything else they can until you have nothing left.
It should be an option to remove brace from pistol, unless this rulemaking is about more than braces. Maybe they are going to redefine pistols to exclude AR/AK types as handguns?

It should be an option to remove brace from pistol, unless this rulemaking is about more than braces. Maybe they are going to redefine pistols to exclude AR/AK types as handguns?

There is an option to convert the gun into a "legal" non-NFA configuration. If that means just removing the "stock" then you're back to pisol territory, but you're probably safer going 16" and just putting a real stock on it. Lame, but that's the safest route.

Honestly its a little tempting to go for the "free" SBR route, but I may exercise one of the other options.

I only read were this makes legal guns illegal. Nothing said about removing current illegal guns. That would be like, you know, what the ATF is created for.

Yes, you can currently remove the brace and still keep it as a pistol but for how long.

A while back there was talk about redefining AR/AK pistols for import into this country as being no longer a sporting arm because of things like weight, caliber and other features yet to be determined.

Once this is in place and established how long do you think it will take before it will creep into domestic firearms, a week, month, year, 2 years. It's a death by 1000 paper cuts and they campaigned on it.

Do not be surprised once in office they use the ATF to start shutting down firearms dealers as Harris stated she wanted to for say just simple small paper work errors that would have gotten a warning before but now it is a pull the license event.

I am not fear mongering I just listen to their speeches and seen what they have done in the past. It will be a great 4 years for the antigun groups.

People will always say it will never happen, right up until it happens.

But I hope I am wrong and we win some kind of Supreme court case that once and for all establishes our gun rights as shell not be infringed. But then again I am also still waiting for flying monkeys to come ridding in on a pink unicorn.

Someone needs to write a letter to the ATF to see if their brace is "approved". Then everyone should start talking about it on forums with dozens of threads on the exact same topic. That'll show 'em. :rolleyes:

Yes, you can currently remove the brace and still keep it as a pistol but for how long.

A while back there was talk about redefining AR/AK pistols for import into this country as being no longer a sporting arm because of things like weight, caliber and other features yet to be determined.

Once this is in place and established how long do you think it will take before it will creep into domestic firearms, a week, month, year, 2 years. It's a death by 1000 paper cuts and they campaigned on it.

Do not be surprised once in office they use the ATF to start shutting down firearms dealers as Harris stated she wanted to for say just simple small paper work errors that would have gotten a warning before but now it is a pull the license event.

I am not fear mongering I just listen to their speeches and seen what they have done in the past. It will be a great 4 years for the antigun groups.

People will always say it will never happen, right up until it happens.

But I hope I am wrong and we win some kind of Supreme court case that once and for all establishes our gun rights as shell not be infringed. But then again I am also still waiting for flying monkeys to come ridding in on a pink unicorn.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...

Do NOT put your faith in men (or women) wearing black robes to save you from oblivion, you'll be disappointed EVERY time.

If you turn in your pistol, destroy your brace, register it as an SBR, turn it in to a rifle or any combination of these you are not part of the problem, you are the problem.

I do have one question about all this, what differentiates a "cheek brace" from an "arm brace"? The ATF has to prove intent, right? The "Thordsen Device" being one example. Theirs is quite short.. so for me, I cant shoulder it even if I wanted to, however I have it mounted on my M92 and use it when shooting from a bench doing a cheek weld.. which is 100% legal.. Id imagine it would be tough for the ATF to argue in court particular usage when it comes to cheek welds.. I think there is a huge window of opportunity there..

Cheek braces.. it sounds ridiculous.. but if they are: Fixed position and need a tool for adjustment (Like gen 1 shockwave), have an angled surface (cheek comfort) like the thordsen device and are within a certain LOP (shorter) then I think legally there is room for argument in court.. arm braces have been marketed as "stocks".. its gone fsr beyond original designs (Im not complaining) but from the AFTs perspective the marketing has become very brazen.. However, I do believe there is a loophole here and an opportunity for yet another workaround. Its not what you know but what you can prove in court.

I'll wait until, say January, once the Senate is decided, it will become very focused. Until then, the sky is falling, once it's black and white, each one of us gets to determine where that line in the sand is. The choice will be stand up like our forefathers or die by a thousand cuts. The choice is yours, and yours alone to make.

I'll wait until, say January, once the Senate is decided, it will become very focused. Until then, the sky is falling, once it's black and white, each one of us gets to determine where that line in the sand is. The choice will be stand up like our forefathers or die by a thousand cuts. The choice is yours, and yours alone to make.
I'm convinced that even a GOP controlled Senate won't save the braces. It's pretty much going to be a bumpstock 2.0 scenario where the DOJ/BATF does what they wish and congress will ignore it.

They come knocking in New Orleans...
-Not my problem. It doesn't affect me.

They come knocking in California...

They come knocking in New York...

They come knocking in Australia...

They come knocking for bump stocks...
-Not my problem. Bump stocks are just toys. It doesn't affect me...

They come knocking for pistol braces...
-Not my problem. You should have gotten an SBR. It doesn't affect me...

They come knocking for 80%...
-Not my problem. 80% receivers are niche toys for the paranoid. It doesn't affect me...

They come knocking for ARs and AKs...
-Not my problem. I'm a hunter, who needs a semi auto anyway? It doesn't affect me...

They come knocking for your neighbor's pistols down the street...
-Not my problem. My stuff is NFA registered. It doesn't affect me.

They come knocking at the church in town...
-Not my problem. I'm not religious. Doesn't affect me.

They come knocking at the local restaurant or hair salon...
-Not my problem. I'll order take out and grow out my tacti-beard. Doesn't affect me.

They come knocking for your next door neighbor because of his social media posts...
-Not my problem. He should have kept his mouth shut. Doesn't affect me.

They come knocking for you because of your online purchase history, your NFA registry items, or because of your associations, or because of your political affiliations, or the sign in your front yard, or the American Flag on your porch.
-Maybe I am the problem by not speaking up sooner. Maybe it does affect me after all.

Last Edited:
Can we declare ourselves a pistol brace sanctuary state, county, town, etc? What if my pistol brace still identifys as a pistol brace? The braces ARE being used by the handicap. You would think half the country can easily pass as handicapped after seeing the election results. Come on man!

I hear a lot of
"this is gonna be a bad 4 years"
"They are coming for our guns"
"I told ya so!"
In these threads, but not much action.

It seems like we as gun owners and responsible men are sitting back and hoping that big poppa ATF doesn't come and put a whooping on us. When we should be standing up and making a voice for our beliefs.
If this bugs you, go leave them a well written comment illustrating the points made in this thread. There is public push back, we don't want this, there is no reason for it.
Action over reaction.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads