JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Y'all know that if this were to be a period correct movie Baldwin should have been lynched already.

Shoot a fair haired lass on MY set will ya... We'll see about that.
Boys, get the rope.

When you take possession of a firearm it is your responsibility to ensure the safety of those around you anything less is negligent. If you honestly don't believe that you shouldn't own a firearm

This is the simple truth. He didn't check the gun. I don't buy the excuse that it was "protocol" to trust someone else that the gun wasn't loaded. Because you could kill someone.
As far as I know none of us are experts on the procedures of gun handling on movie sets. Our opinions are worthless. If Baldwin was told the gun was cold by a professional in the field then he may not be personally responsible. Baldwin may not know the difference between dummy rounds, blanks or live ammo which is one of the reasons professional are hired and safety procedures are adopted. All the details will come out in the investigation. BTW I'm not currently following this investigation or case.

Last Edited:
As far as I know none of us are experts on the procedures of gun handling on movie sets. Our opinions are worthless. If Baldwin was told the gun was cold by a professional in the field then he may not be personally responsible. Baldwin may not know the difference between dummy rounds, blanks or live ammo which is one of the reasons professional are hired and safety procedures are adopted. All the details will come out in the investigation. BTW I'm not currently following this investigation or case.
"Somebody brought that live ammunition on set, and that's a problem. … Anybody who's experienced, even as Alec Baldwin is, should have opened and checked the cylinder. There should have been a safety meeting beforehand. It's standard protocol, and it wasn't followed. So there is negligence, without a doubt. The fact that he doesn't feel guilt? That's a tough one for me because if I had been in the same position, and I'd done that myself – even though it was a complete accident, and I believe it was an accident – I don't know how you don't feel some semblance of guilt. I don't understand that" Dean Cain

"Somebody brought that live ammunition on set, and that's a problem. … Anybody who's experienced, even as Alec Baldwin is, should have opened and checked the cylinder. There should have been a safety meeting beforehand. It's standard protocol, and it wasn't followed. So there is negligence, without a doubt. The fact that he doesn't feel guilt? That's a tough one for me because if I had been in the same position, and I'd done that myself – even though it was a complete accident, and I believe it was an accident – I don't know how you don't feel some semblance of guilt. I don't understand that" Dean Cain
That's because he's a narcissistic sociopath in my uneducated opinion.

A better question:
How much trust does it take to allow someone to direct you to run through a fire, jump off a building or let other people point guns even within 90 degrees of you?

The actor claims the gun fired when he pulled back the hammer and the half cock didn't catch, not that he pulled the trigger. Local law enforcement agreed that this was possible with this gun.

The actor received the gun from the AD that received it from the Amorer. Those two experts certified that the gun was cold, which is the essential final check that actors expect to make ("Is this gun cold?" Yes or no.)

The actor was directed by the AD and the DP to point the gun in their direction. Both of these people were hit when the gun fired in the direction they directed the actor to point it - at or near them. For the actor to "shoot them", multiple other people had to go out of their way to violate the very precise rules of their jobs. The actor did not break any rule of his job as a prop gun manipulator, but did exactly as he was told to do by those other experts.

Virtually all parts of modern life involve trust. You don't expect to run a listeria test on the produce you buy because you assume that the grocer and farmer did their jobs. You don't inspect the bridges you drive over because your taxes pay experts to do that. Pilots don't do aircraft repairs. And film producers expect that set builders don't make unsafe structures, special effects people don't immolate the actors and electricians don't electrocute the camera operators. Prop people and directors don't want actors slowing things down and potentially screwing up a scene because they have to play amateur armorers. So they pay other people to be in charge of making sure that a cold gun is a cold gun, and that if you want to point a gun at a person that you have every reason to believe it is safe to do so.

It would be one thing if all guns operated basically the same, or if the 180 rule applied to filmmaking, but prop guns and prop ammunition are not utilized like at a shooting range. Which is ironic, because I've never been offered the ability to examine the backstop of my local shooting range to make sure it was constructed correctly before I shoot at it.
I typically don't align with your thinking but do actually agree here. Just because we, as gun enthusiasts, all agree that not matter what we would always check the status of a firearm when handed one. The actor here understands that the weapon has gone through several checks prior to being handed it, has possibly become complacent from having zero issues in the prior decades of acting, and just was lazy. Your point of, how many check the bridge safety before driving over it really stands out. We all know the risk and just accept it as it'll never happen to me society. There definitely was some wrong doing here but I'm not 100% convinced it was intentional, just stupidity. We all know that certain leaning peoples like to have immediate blame but, it really could just be that it was just as simple as stupid people thinking they weren't stupid. I don't believe criminal charges would/should be filed but wholeheartedly believe that a civil suit should be paid to the victim's families.

I don't know why you keep making excuses for him. He did something inherently unsafe. The fact that he was on a movie set doesn't change things. He killed a person. It doesn't matter who else screwed up.

I typically don't align with your thinking but do actually agree here. Just because we, as gun enthusiasts, all agree that not matter what we would always check the status of a firearm when handed one. The actor here understands that the weapon has gone through several checks prior to being handed it, has possibly become complacent from having zero issues in the prior decades of acting, and just was lazy. Your point of, how many check the bridge safety before driving over it really stands out. We all know the risk and just accept it as it'll never happen to me society. There definitely was some wrong doing here but I'm not 100% convinced it was intentional, just stupidity. We all know that certain leaning peoples like to have immediate blame but, it really could just be that it was just as simple as stupid people thinking they weren't stupid. I don't believe criminal charges would/should be filed but wholeheartedly believe that a civil suit should be paid to the victim's families.
I know a lot of dumb gun enthusiast so im not sure why the term keeps getting thrown around. Being a gun enthusiast don't make you safer than the next guy. Your comment not intentional or just stupidity would still justify negligence. EVERYBODY knows if you point a firearm at a person their is potential for tragedy and if its in your hand you share fault. His behavior (stupid and unintentional ) was negligent and a person died because of it. Its your job to become knowledgeable if you chose to own or work with firearms.

I know a lot of dumb gun enthusiast so im not sure why the term keeps getting thrown around. Being a gun enthusiast don't make you safer than the next guy. Your comment not intentional or just stupidity would still justify negligence. EVERYBODY knows if you point a firearm at a person their is potential for tragedy and if its in your hand you share fault. His behavior (stupid and unintentional ) was negligent and a person died because of it. Its your job to become knowledgeable if you chose to own or work with firearms.
I guess my point was complacency is rampant and getting worse. There was several layers of this in this very event. I'm just not sure it was criminal, just ignorance. Like I stated though, I'm sure there is something at a civil level here, just not criminal. If there was criminal intent then something would have happened already. I may be wrong here but I doubt it.

I don't know why you keep making excuses for him. He did something inherently unsafe. The fact that he was on a movie set doesn't change things. He killed a person. It doesn't matter who else screwed up.
It must be nice to have a black and white simplistic view on things but the world usually doesn't work that way.

Status

Upcoming Events

Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top