JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Wife gets to stay home and be an artist while I'm at work. I know how good she is with a 12g s/a.

If she wasn't our alarm system, or I couldn't be in the position for her to be home, we'd just move to Utah and be done with it.

I'm voating this best thread revival of the week:) BTW: we eventually wound up with a Canary inside, now have 2 rings outside, 2 dog(s), now only 1 dog, inside. Bars on the basement windows, shrubs trimmed up and motion lights.

I live in an old neighborhood inner city PDX with few garages. So street parking for most. My neighbor is a retired gang enforcement officer who had his catalytic converter stolen off of his truck one night, I think he's back on night patrol now:) We never did go with an alarm system as the 2 rescue dogs showed up.

I do security consulting for a living so alarm systems, mainly commercial, are my bread and butter.

Many of these cheap home security systems coming into existence like SimpliSafe*, Brinks Home, ADT Blue, Ring, etc. are useless. They work and can do their jobs but can easily be defeated by an experienced burglar. I would not suggest these for someone who is being targeted.

If you want something that actually works then I suggest getting a hardwired system w/ cellular communicator like a DMP XT50 or Honeywell Vista. If you want hardwired but something a bit more affordable the Qolsys Q4 (I believe that's the model) can be hardwired into the wall and has a built in cellular communicator.

Many of these cheap home systems I described above function off Wi-Fi only which means if your Wi-Fi is dead, your alarm is defeated. Now sometimes people having living situations where hardwiring isn't feasible (ie: living in an apartment) and they must run a Wi-Fi based solution, in that case SimpliSafe or the like is acceptable but it's vulnerabilities need to be noted. The only feasible way to take a hardwired system with cell backup offline is to locate the control panel and destroy it, which doing so requires breaching your area of defense and thus putting them in a position of compromise.

I do security consulting for a living so alarm systems, mainly commercial, are my bread and butter.

Many of these cheap home security systems coming into existence like SimpliSafe*, Brinks Home, ADT Blue, Ring, etc. are useless. They work and can do their jobs but can easily be defeated by an experienced burglar. I would not suggest these for someone who is being targeted.

If you want something that actually works then I suggest getting a hardwired system w/ cellular communicator like a DMP XT50 or Honeywell Vista. If you want hardwired but something a bit more affordable the Qolsys Q4 (I believe that's the model) can be hardwired into the wall and has a built in cellular communicator.

Many of these cheap home systems I described above function off Wi-Fi only which means if your Wi-Fi is dead, your alarm is defeated. Now sometimes people having living situations where hardwiring isn't feasible (ie: living in an apartment) and they must run a Wi-Fi based solution, in that case SimpliSafe or the like is acceptable but it's vulnerabilities need to be noted. The only feasible way to take a hardwired system with cell backup offline is to locate the control panel and destroy it, which doing so requires breaching your area of defense and thus putting them in a position of compromise.
Simplisafe runs off the cellular network. But I'm sure it can be sidestepped like anything else.

The only wireless security device I trust are my dogs.

I've been trying to decide whether or not to go with a hardwired security system since I'm getting ready to have PoE runs installed for my camera system, so it makes sense to have all the low voltage done at the same time.

I'll look into the systems you mentioned above, but I'm leaning towards alerts sent from the camera system. My NVR is Blue Iris with AI integration, facial recognition, etc.. It's running on a beefy server that's also going to be used for home automation via Home Assistant (which is how I can send alerts to my cell).

I'd lean towards a traditional security system if I can integrate it to work with that, as in a sensor goes off, sends me an alert, then signals Blue Iris to act as though the camera that covers that area to act as though it was triggered (if it hadn't already been) and save the clip.

The Woodurn PD didn't get that "low priority" memo... they were at my house in less than 5 minutes of an actual alarm event we had a couple years back. We have an excellent PD here, and we know a great many of the officers by their first names.
From EVERYTHING I see out there, this is the exception and not the rule. I am happy for those who receive this type of response.

I do have a cheap camera system. It works, but the picture quality is only average. However, between that, the motion-sensor lights at night, cars parked in the garage, retired folks in the neighborhood who are home during the day, reinforced doors, and a dog that barks when the wind blows, there's plenty of reasons for a thief to seek an easier target.

Last Edited:
I always steer anyone looking at camera systems to ipcamtalk.com. There is a TON of expertise on different systems. The FAQs and Wiki are a gold mine.

Simplisafe runs off the cellular network. But I'm sure it can be sidestepped like anything else.
Good to know. They must have updated it from when I researched it years ago. As I said in my original post my knowledge is predominantly from a commerical setting so my knowledge of residential stuff is limited.

It would be hard to beat a cellular connection but you can interfere with the bluetooth signals between wireless devices and their control panel. Many times you can find what frequency devices transmit on through pubically available FCC filings. For example, some quick Googling told me that SimpliSafe transmits on 433mhz (although that may be dated due to a compromise from a few years back) and DMP transmits on 900mhz. This is why I always recommend to clients that you don't put the exact brand of alarm you have in the window (ie: "This home protected by ADT!"). That's information an attacker can use to get the right equipment to bypass your systems. If you really want to dupe someone put a totally separate sign brand than what you actually have lol

We have ADT and it works well enough for what it is supposed to do. Hardly a silver bullet, but better to have than not. (Also, for whatever it is worth, a long time colleague of mine tells me they are used by quite a few financial institutions at locations were they keep stuff worth stealing.)

Good luck. :)

Loud sirens both inside and outside, ones the neighbors will hear. My neighbors will come check things out if my alarm goes off. I don't pay for monitoring services as the cops will not show up now days anyway for an residential alarm alert.

From EVERYTHING I see out there, this is the exception and not the rule. I am happy for those who receive this type of response.

I do have a cheap camera system. It works, but the picture quality is only average. However, between that, the motion-sensor lights at night, cars parked in the garage, retired folks in the neighborhood who are home during the day, and a dog that barks when the wind blows, there's plenty of reasons for a thief to seek an easier target.
THIS 👆 👆👆
Alarm systems are like gun safes. EVERY time it is brought up there will be some telling anyone who will listen that unless you pay for a safe like small banks use its worthless. Sounds good but its just not reality. Few will who can will pay for that kind of protection. Many just can not. So you pay for what you are comfortable with and the nice part is your place is a little harder to get than the place next door with nothing. ANY safe beats hell out of no safe.
When it comes to alarms? Its the same. Any system beats having nothing. At the place we live now we have ADT for the office and SimpliSafe for the home. Both run off WiFi for us to monitor but both have a cell connection if the WiFi dies. Both also notify me the second they lose the WiFi for any reason. Have come home when power is out and the alarm is telling me to disarm it. Now someone could come in, find the "brain" and destroy it. By then it will have sent an alarm in and they would be calling me. Now is this as good as the bank across the street has? I seriously doubt, or at least I would hope not. I am not willing to pay for the kind of system the bank has though.
So bottom line. Want some comfort and piece of mind? Get even a cheap system like Simplisafe . Your place will be a little more difficult than the place around you with nothing.

The Woodurn PD didn't get that "low priority" memo... they were at my house in less than 5 minutes of an actual alarm event we had a couple years back. We have an excellent PD here, and we know a great many of the officers by their first names.

We have a wireless system by Monitronics.. it has cellular dial out, 750VA UPS back up for everything... you could cut every wire and pipe leading into our house and the system will run/operate/function for HOURS AND HOURS on its own.

We have the same alarm company. Two weiner dogs. The female will go nuts if you so much as cut a loud fart, but I know ever time if someone is even walking by on the sidewalk. The male would help a thief cart off the big screen for a treat.
We have an American bull terrier. A leaf blows past the house and she's all deep BARKBARKBARK... throws herself at the door if someone is out there... she is however friendlier with strangers than I like... I think that if she ever actually broke thru the door she'd have a quizzical look on her face wondering what to do next. Thankfully she's not a fence-jumper like my beloved Samoyeds were..

Last Edited:
We have an American bull terrier. A leaf blows past the house and she's all deep BARKBARKBARK... throws herself at the door if someone is out there... she is however friendlier with strangers than I like... I think that if she ever actually broke thru the door she'd have a quizzical look on her face wondering what to do next. Thankfully she's not a fence-jumper like my beloved Samoyeds were..
All it takes to disarm every dog in the neighborhood is to develop a habitual "exercise walk" at a regular time every day. Simply bring a bag of treats with you and make sure you discretely give a little love as you walk by. Since you are seen by homemakers, retirees, and any else who is typically home at that time you become a frequent hence trusted sight in the neighborhood as you case it out.

Truthfully, though, I think that porch piracy is preventing breakins since it's quicker, less risky, and what they steal is new in box. If you "get caught" odds are that simply diving into your car for a quick "exit stage left" will be enough. The "night shift" pretty much specializes in cats, since it's a quick "in and out" as well.

Some time ago I switched from Monitronics (who was bought out by Brinks and then they jacked my monthly monitoring service to $60 a month) to SimpliSafe….

By FAR the best system for me! I have additional cameras that I can access and control from anywhere in the world from my iPhone (with cellular or wi-fi) internet service. Overhead street view out front, side yard views, doorbell/front porch, laundry room where we keep the dogs at night, etc.

You own the system, you can completely tailor what components you want, SUPER easy to install, quality components, completely portable if you move, home wi-fi internet (and back-up cellular) communication… it doesn't get much better than this.

$24/mo for enhanced monitoring.

Some time ago I switched from Monitronics (who was bought out by Brinks and then they jacked my monthly monitoring service to $60 a month) to SimpliSafe….

By FAR the best system for me! I have additional cameras that I can access and control from anywhere in the world from my iPhone (with cellular or wi-fi) internet service. Overhead street view out front, side yard views, doorbell/front porch, laundry room where we keep the dogs at night, etc.

You own the system, you can completely tailor what components you want, SUPER easy to install, quality components, completely portable if you move, home wi-fi internet (and back-up cellular) communication… it doesn't get much better than this.

$24/mo for enhanced monitoring.
Ditto for me, been super happy with it. We had it a couple years and moved. The Co housing here had ADT in it that was twice the price for monitoring. I put the Siplisafe stuff in here, called them to tell them to drop monitoring for now because we had ADT here. Told the lady I was going to try to get them to drop the ADT on the house since the Simpliesafe was just as good at much less. She said she would keep the monitoring and not charge me for 5 months :cool:
The one night while I was at work Wife forgot it was on and opened the door to where one safe is and set it off. She was so flustered she got it disarmed but when they called to check she "sounded" scared. So they called me to ask if she was OK, then called her again to make sure she was OK. Color me impressed.

As a followup to anyone who has SimpliSafe. I just got an E-mail from them telling me the Cellular connection in my older unit was going to be out of date soon and would need to be replaced if I wanted the system to keep working when WiFi was down. I clicked yes on the order a new one, expecting to have to pay. Was pleasantly surprised to find it was being sent free of charge to me. So if you have a system from them that is a little older make sure you check and see if it too needs and upgrade.:)

We lost our Wi-Fi connection for our SimpiSafe alarm but because the base station was still connected we were still able to disarm the alarm via our cellphone. Not sure why we lost Wi-Fi either. The cable modem looked fine but I restarted our router and the Wi-Fi came up and all devices reconnected.

I did see that PSE put two red flags on our front lawn and the are building a new home a few doors down from our home. An underground power line is running below our front lawn or something.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top