JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Ideally one would have two dogs. One small "yappy" dog that sounds the alarm and one large quiet "meat eater" that takes care of those that think the house is only guarded by a Shih Tsu.

Had a dog when I was growing up that was the "meat eater". A Great Dane/Labrador cross. Didn't bark at all. Would sneak up behind anyone coming to the house and give a short WOOOOF when 2' behind them. A real "Pants filler". Dog was over 3' tall at the front shoulders.

Ideally one would have two dogs. One small "yappy" dog that sounds the alarm and one large quiet "meat eater" that takes care of those that think the house is only guarded by a Shih Tsu.

So true. Our big dog lays on the couch hour after hour until the small one yells "Battlestations!" (or whatever it is they say). Then the big one comes alive and sounds like a creature from he*l.

We have a nice alarm system with glass break, door entry, window and motion sensors throughout. We go through a locally owned outfit for monitoring and service and couldn't be happier with our system.

I don't know if most know this, but alarm calls are a low priority response for most LE agencies. Meaning if your alarm goes off, they will come check it out once they are done with all their other calls.

I don't know if most know this, but alarm calls are a low priority response for most LE agencies. Meaning if your alarm goes off, they will come check it out once they are done with all their other calls.

The Woodurn PD didn't get that "low priority" memo... they were at my house in less than 5 minutes of an actual alarm event we had a couple years back. We have an excellent PD here, and we know a great many of the officers by their first names.

We have a wireless system by Monitronics.. it has cellular dial out, 750VA UPS back up for everything... you could cut every wire and pipe leading into our house and the system will run/operate/function for HOURS AND HOURS on its own.

The Woodurn PD didn't get that "low priority" memo... they were at my house in less than 5 minutes of an actual alarm event we had a couple years back. We have an excellent PD here, and we know a great many of the officers by their first names.

We have a wireless system by Monitronics.. it has cellular dial out, 750VA UPS back up for everything... you could cut every wire and pipe leading into our house and the system will run/operate/function for HOURS AND HOURS on its own.

how much research did you do on it before going with them? what was some of the reasons for going with them? care to share costs, including monthly?

It all depends on what municipality you're in and their contract with local pd. When you applied for your permit it will explain the terms of response on it.

It all depends on what municipality you're in and their contract with local pd. When you applied for your permit it will explain the terms of response on it.

Contract? Aren't they just basically calling 911 on your behalf?

The only thing that came with my permit was a bill and a fee schedule for false alarms.

MrB+

Contract? Aren't they just basically calling 911 on your behalf?

The only thing that came with my permit was a bill and a fee schedule for false alarms.

MrB+

No! That is a major false security that most alarm owners think. It may be beneficial for you to call your municipality where your permit is from and ask them what the response policy is. Most (not all) have a policy of the pd will be called ONLY AFTER they are unable to get a hold of anyone that is on your to be contacted during alarm list and even then it's not a guaruntee'd rush call.

There is an alarm company in the PDX metro area, before we got a dog and firearms training, we thought about going down this route. The cost was like $2000 to install the alarm, but it covered ALL windows, ALL doors and had glass breakage and motion sensors. The big plus, these guys are LOCAL and the MONITORING(the key part) is LOCAL. They have real people and they will respond according to YOUR wishes. If you want them to call your cell phone first, they will. If you want them to call your cell, then your wife's cell, then 911, they will.....IF I ever get an alarm installed, this will be the way I go.

These are the folks Nighthawk Alarm Services, Inc.

It may be beneficial for you to call your municipality where your permit is from and ask them what the response policy is.
Wait, you're confusing me. I thought we were talking about the alarm company's policy. Yes, of course they call the list before sending in the alarm. Have to wait by the phone every time I burn a piece of toast. But you make it sound like the alarm company has some contract with the PD, too. They're not just 'calling 911' (essentially) when they can't reach me? And I think I'm pretty clear on the city's 'contract' with me. For the 'nuisance' of accepting alarm calls, there's an up-front fee and when/if those calls turn out to be in error, there is an additional fee associated, and that fee goes up pretty dramatically with the false-alarm count.

MrB+

Wait, you're confusing me. I thought we were talking about the alarm company's policy. Yes, of course they call the list before sending in the alarm. Have to wait by the phone every time I burn a piece of toast. But you make it sound like the alarm company has some contract with the PD, too. They're not just 'calling 911' (essentially) when they can't reach me? And I think I'm pretty clear on the city's 'contract' with me. For the 'nuisance' of accepting alarm calls, there's an up-front fee and when/if those calls turn out to be in error, there is an additional fee associated, and that fee goes up pretty dramatically with the false-alarm count.

MrB+

The permit you pay for is pretty much an "agreement" for lack of better words between the local LE and your alarm company. No, they don't just call 911 if they can't reach you. It's a very diluted process. Now, if you hit the panic button on your key pad or key fob then yes an immediate 911 emergency call goes out. Yes, you are correct about the false alarm fee. In your area you get 1 false alarm free, a 2nd free with warning and then the 3rd and 4th are a pretty good fine and the 5th is a removal of your permit.

two big dogs that sound like they will kill you if they hear a peep around the house, but will prob just lick your face off. one might kill you if im not here giving him body cues......

The permit you pay for is pretty much an "agreement" for lack of better words between the local LE and your alarm company. No, they don't just call 911 if they can't reach you. It's a very diluted process. Now, if you hit the panic button on your key pad or key fob then yes an immediate 911 emergency call goes out. Yes, you are correct about the false alarm fee. In your area you get 1 false alarm free, a 2nd free with warning and then the 3rd and 4th are a pretty good fine and the 5th is a removal of your permit.

I agree with what you are saying here, but here's where problems can arise....when the alarm system uses your home phone line to call out to the monitoring company, they imediately call your home, but the alarm will be on the phone so, it will go straight to voicemail........the alarm company uses their protocol and calls 911, it's a nasty circle, which is why I like local monitoring, where you can call the shots with respect to protocol.

Get Dogs....
When we leave the house they have free run of the house... BTW you can teach a dog food refusal from strangers and it works its more so they won't pick up food off the ground but also won't take from strangers. the blk/wht dog could care less about food if there is a stranger around especially if they are at front or back door the brn/wht dog does what ever she does.

I completely agree, I had a pup (no longer with me...) that would not take any treat or one piece of food from anyone but me or my immediate friends or family. I had to take the treat from coffee shop employees and give it to her for her to accept it!!!

Douglas, beautiful Great Dane! I rest easier at night knowing that my GF has a Great Dane in her house every day and night:s0155:.

All in all, I will say this:

My mom has an amazing dog! and an alarm system... I was in my home town one night, the alarm in my mom's house went off while we were out, we were called by the alarm company while at dinner (yes I payed). I was able to make it from our location to the house in less time than the police dept's response time... I arrived at the house and cleared it (yeah yeah, Ill take my chances) before the PD responded. I will attribute the lack off loss of any belongings to the wonderful dog that was at my moms house! I would start with a dog, upgrade to a alarm... and go from there.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top