JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
And for all the complainers, What are YOU doing? Are you putting your money where your mouth is? What have YOU achieved? If you are not behind the NRA/SAF/GOA/JPFO who are you behind??

me=life member of both most complainers don't like the mail and are to lazy to call to stop the mail, guess they would rather pi$$ and moan.

The Toomey bill has you believing that with a CPL you will be able to wander around the United States - in and out of IL, NJ and NY - carrying your own handgun and buying more along the way. With the laws in place, the jerk in the White House, the morons in Congress, none of that will fly.
Which is exactly the point.

Which is exactly the point.

The point is it never is going to happen with the make-up of Congress, the lack of coordinated effort by the Republicans at this time, the guy in the White House. Is that enogh reasons or do still believe we will move back to pre-1968 gun laws with a magical turn of this proposal. The best change will be if the whole mess falls flat, but somehow I don't think there is an absolute chance of that happening. Like Obamacare, that guy has his reputation tied into this now and he won't back off unless a bigger distraction comes up he can steer public outrage toward - maybe the bombing if he can tie it to a group.

Do you seriously believe Toomey's bill will somehow struggle through as Gottlieb "designed"it with no resistence from the Schumer/Obama hard Left?

Butch

And just so there is a misunderstand on my loyalties, I would love to see something like this pass. I'm old enough, as I said on another entry, to remember buying guns where ever I was and through the mail.

I'm an endowment NRA member, dues paying to Gottliebs groups and GOA. I have been sending the open distribution letters from Ruger, NRA/ILA and Hornady daily and two three times a week I write to a politician either complaining or thanking them. I phone and attend Town Meetings. Laterly I started to tweet (really stupid to me) but it's a way to reach a lot of people quick. But while I don't believe in quitting, I also don't believe in the Tooth Fairy. You all will have to surprise me. :)

Butch

Here read this. It states a lot of the concerns much better then I have been able too.
<broken link removed>

I have a bad feeling about this. I didn't realize Mr. Gottlieb had appointed himself Negotiator In Chief for the rights of gunowners and grandstanding that he has somehow 'trapped' or suckered the other side seems very unwise. I've read the text of the proposed SB and will read it again. I realize there are hoped-for future changes but I see many ways this game can backfire on gun owners in a big way.

Here's another article that just came out a few minutes ago that puts the whole Toomey/Manchin in the same light using a cynical old joke to make it's point at the end.

<broken link removed>

Written by Kurt Hofmann ,St. Louis Gun Rights ExaminerApril 15, 2013

Butch

me=life member of both most complainers don't like the mail and are to lazy to call to stop the mail, guess they would rather pi$$ and moan.

Do SAF stop the snail mail? I kind of like it, but I don't on the other hand. I will happily send them an extra check each year if that stops the flood on my mailbox. :)

pi$$ and moan about what NRA and SAF and what they are doing. because they don't go all out for one great move. well the anti's have been doing what Alan and others are doing right now one little step at a time and sometimes they know they will lose a lawsuit but go forwards with it any way so it can be appealed and get a better decision from a more friendly court, but go ahead an pi$$ and moan.

Your faith is yours. Twenty or so years of slow reversion isn't much compared to 80 years of a slow but steady loss of rights. Heller doesn't mean much as it still gives the state too much power to define what is legal or not. The supreme court is no guarantee given how close the votes are. See the FDR era for confirmation of how bad it can get. The main win has been the 20 year progression of promoting gun culture, liberty. The best thing has been turning may issue into shall issue. Yet, given the current political mentality of many in this country, the state is supreme and safety at the cost of liberty is the name of the game.

My money is with the OFF and GOA if you must know. I sure as hell don't trust Gotlieb now. You don't play games with these people. Not with what has been going on in the last 15-20 years. You can be so pragmatic, that in the end you compromise your beliefs away.

I have a bad feeling about this. I didn't realize Mr. Gottlieb had appointed himself Negotiator In Chief for the rights of gunowners and grandstanding that he has somehow 'trapped' or suckered the other side seems very unwise. I've read the text of the proposed SB and will read it again. I realize there are hoped-for future changes but I see many ways this game can backfire on gun owners in a big way.

He didn't appoint himself anything.
But he can pick up a phone and talk to people. Can you?

If somebody asks his thoughts on offering a palatable bill that is better than anything Chuckie Schumer might offer, he's going to respond. If a couple of US Senators want to talk with him &#8212; instead of the NRA, perhaps &#8212; he's going to talk.

You can be part of a process and help guide things or you can stand back, be obstinate and wonder who was driving the truck that hit you.

I see a lot of this stuff about "no compromise" and "Screw 'em I'm not going to agree to anything" rhetoric here and elsewhere, but at the end of the day, all these people have is something and someone else to complain about.

Now, it's nice to be able to blame everyone else for your troubles. And none of us know of anyone who has done that constantly for the past four years, but at the end of the day, your troubles are yours, and if you want to be part of your own future, instead of someone else deciding it for you, get into the game.

So the problem with this good intention, is the 'gut-n-stuff' issues with a bill like this. All of the changes and amendments will alter this bill so much that by the time it gets to the end of the road it could say anything.

Now, on the good side this may actually poison pill the bill thus kill the whole thing. Which could be very interesting.

He didn't appoint himself anything.
But he can pick up a phone and talk to people. Can you?.

Dave, please don't take this wrong. You and I had an exchange here and via a PM that has bothered me since then - you are probably thicker skinned then I. I respect what you do and the news you share. Here is my "but" comment. That is you appear to be defending Gottlieb intentions which is fine. Heck I really have no idea of his intentions and we all know what opinions are like. My frustration is I, and several people here as well as nationally, have asked for details to explain what is meant by some of the proposals. An example is "internet sales". Instead of a clear explanation by Toomey, Manchin or Gottlieb we have tons of people - including me - saying this and that contradicting each other.

Gottlieb declared he was going to author an editorial to clear the whole thing up. We're waiting, but I still am at a loss he didn't have a breakdown of the positions to start with. While all this may kill S.649 if the Toomey/Manchin proposal had merit it is sad to loose what supposed benefits it claimed to offer.

My other complaint I stated before - but like to repeat myself (more like Gottlieb then I want to admit) - did no one think Schumer would reject the Toomey/Manchin amendments? Did they really believe they had set up the media roadmap strongly enough to counter Obama's clamp down on honest debate. Seems kind of naive to me.

Lastly, you are correct. Many, if not most, seem to use this forum to vent our frustration. That doesn't mean we aren't trying to learn how to be grassroots supportive activist. We just don't know how. Members have made successful advances with demonstrations etc.. We are trying as are you and even Gottlieb. We all just don't seem to communicate that well yet.
Butch

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads