JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
And the bottom line is when you have a group now — Alan Gottlieb, the chairman of the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms, said, 'We read the bill, we like the bill' and it protects law-abiding gun owners like myself. And they are supporting it now. That is huge."

Close vote seen on background checks on gun buyers

SOooooooo What are the anti-gun nuts going to give the pro gun owners in return?

Close vote seen on background checks on gun buyers

SOooooooo What are the anti-gun nuts going to give the pro gun owners in return?

This may help answer:

Prison for gun registration part of CCRKBA-backed bill

A possible prison sentence of up to 15 years for using background check information to create any kind of gun registry is one of the keystone provisions of a substitute measure introduced as an option to Sen. Charles Schumer's (D-NY) bill, and Bellevue's Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms had a hand in its creation.

<broken link removed>

There's a link to Codrea's column, but here it is for your added pleasure:

<broken link removed>

Dave:
So, can Obummer bypass that provision using an Executive Order?
Both he and Eric Witholder shoulc be in jail now over F&F and it looks like they're going to skate free.

Gottlieb was able to pull a bait and switch with the WA State Legislature when the Police Admin refused a part of his bill. It sounds like he is trying the same now with the Senate. Who is kidding who? He makes it sound like it's a sneak attack he formulated with Toomey and Manchin, but now proceeds to tell the world what he did. Maybe he has some other secrete strategy. Either that or he's going to look like the biggest *** in the world (besides Obama) when this blows up.

It appears:
(1) He really thinks people like Schumer are going to accept a process like the one below:
DAYLIGHT DISINFECTANT | SHOCK VIDEO: GUN RIGHTS ADVOCATE?S STAFF HELPED WRITE BACKGROUND CHECK BILL
Another important one, you cannot now legally buy a handgun in a state that you don't live in. If you're not a resident of the state you can't buy a handgun. Under the so-call "Background CHeck Bill," you'll be able to buy a handgun in all 50 states, as long as you buy it from a licensed dealer you can buy it from anywhere you want.
Who's brave enough to visit New Jersey, NY or Connecticut to test this idea.

(2) He said internet sales would require a background check. Don't they already, but like others have mentioned it's not defined. Does that mean I e-mail a buddy or list it on the Forum and now a background check is required.

(3) What I understand is there's some question regarding loaning a gun to a friend. If I'm at the range or hunting right next to someone, it's okay. If my buddy borrows my hunting rifle for a two week elk hunt, I'm breaking the law. Guess I could sell it to him for $1 and then buy it back.

With want-to-be power brokers like McCain and Graham involved, how much can Gottlieb believe he can out maneuver these RINO's. We allowed the NE states to violate the 2nd Amendment and, even after supposedly winning in the Supreme Court, I don't think many people are legally buying guns in D.C.. Colorado fell and IL is getting worse. Let's not talk about CA. We think we can negotiate? It would have been better to fight them head on with the filibuster by Paul, Lee and Cruz.

Gottlieb is delusional. And to stand there in Portland and in his speech talk about people who can barely speak english walking into gun shows and buying any ol gun with no background check is assinine. Uh, Oregon closed the so called gun show loop hole 13 years ago in 2000. Of course, mall shootings still happen don't they?

Re Kumabear's point 1, I thought you could buy a handgun out of your state of residence but it had to be shipped to a state FFL for pickup? So all we're gaining is the ability to take it home that day (provided passing a check)? Whoop dee do? As Kumabear said, are you brave enough to try that in NJ or CT? Like those states won't come up with any laws/regs to make it hard or impossible to do anyway.

Whats a neighbor anyway? A family member? Will they charge you with a felony if you don't have paperwork on a private sale from before the law? Bye bye presumption of innocence (long gone on many issues already).

Interesting reading, "its a trap": http://www.volokh.com/2013/04/15/th...bonanza-of-gun-control/?ModPagespeed=noscript

Another important one, you cannot now legally buy a handgun in a state that you don’t live in. If you’re not a resident of the state you can’t buy a handgun. Under the so-call “Background CHeck Bill,” you’ll be able to buy a handgun in all 50 states, as long as you buy it from a licensed dealer you can buy it from anywhere you want.

Uh, what in the hell is he talking about? He's either full of BS and trying to sell us on this or he doesn't know the law. Maybe both. Nothing will change with this "new law". You already can buy a handgun in a state you don't live in.

My lovely wife and I are contracting in Alabama. Last week during a visit to a LGS she saw me slobbering all over an Ed Brown Kobra. She bought it for me as an anniversary gift. In return I bought her the Colt Defender she was eyeballing. They're patiently waiting for us at our FFL when we return home next week.

Uh, what in the hell is he talking about? ...You already can buy a handgun in a state you don't live in....

But you didn't, and can't, take delivery of handguns from that out-of-state FFL. You can purchase and take delivery of rifles and shotguns at a FFL, in a state that you aren't a resident of.

"...allowed nonlicensed purchasers to acquire long guns (from a FFL) ... if (1) the purchaser's State of residence permitted such sale and (2) the sale fully complied with the legal conditions of sale in both such contiguous states."

<broken link removed>

But you didn't, and can't, take delivery of handguns from that out-of-state FFL......

Ahhhh. Buying and taking delivery are two different things. And that was one of the points I was trying to make.

The other was he's trying to tell us what a favor he did for us when, in my opinion, he did nothing but cave.

first it was the NRA now you people are beaching about SAF you are doing a great service for blumberg. I guess OFF or GOA is next.
GET YOUR HEAD OUT and look at what you are doing for the anti's:s0054:

Before jumping to conclusions, read this:

The Common Sense Gun Lobby Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
The Citizens Committee is supporting the Manchin-Toomey substitute bill to knock out the very bad draconian Schumer Background Check bill. The Citizens Committee and our attorney lobbyist had a hand in influencing and drafting parts of this substitute amendment.

This proposed bill bans any federal gun registry and carries a 15 year prison term for anyone who violates it. It also protects and expands a number of pro-gun rights measures as well.

The Citizens Committee has an agreement that additional amendments supported by Manchin and Toomey will be offered to make it better, including making it possible to get federal firearms rights restored negating the current Schumer legislation that blocks it.

These advances for gun rights cannot be made unless we win the Senate vote to substitute the Manchin-Toomey language for Schumer's invasive, terrible and overreaching background check that is in the current version of the bill.

If you read the proposed substitute bill, you can see the numerous advances for our Constitutional right to keep and bear arms that it contains: interstate sales of handguns, veteran gun rights restoration, travel with firearms protection, civil and criminal immunity lawsuit protection if you sell a gun plus more. It also exempts the sale or transfer of firearms between family members and friends as well as sales outside a commercial venue from a background check. If you have any kind of current state permit to own, use or carry no additional background check is done.

The Citizens Committee defends the Second Amendment every day. We have been working for our right to keep and bear arms for over 40 years and will never give up the fight

We are supporting no change to the current laws other than adding key parts that help increase our rights such as restoration and reciprocity. Our support is conditional on these very critical and essential amendments.

IF any of these parts are taken out of the bill or if anything is added that conflicts with our beliefs in the Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms, The Citizens Committee WILL NOT support the bill.

Alan Gottlieb

first it was the NRA now you people are beaching about SAF you are doing a great service for blumberg. I guess OFF or GOA is next.
GET YOUR HEAD OUT and look at what you are doing for the anti's:s0054:

I don't think we are doing anything to support the anti's. I do believe many people read what they want to see in the Toomey/Manchin bill believeing it just "has to pass". To me that is being extremely naive. Let's see who do we think has power in the Senate? Would it be members like Schumer or McCain.... Republicans have no strength and no Leadership.

The Toomey bill has you believing that with a CPL you will be able to wander around the United States - in and out of IL, NJ and NY - carrying your own handgun and buying more along the way. With the laws in place, the jerk in the White House, the morons in Congress, none of that will fly.

Even the crap about if you have a CPL there will be no background check. You just have to fill out a 4473. Where do you think the 4473 goes when the FFL leaves business> The ATF picks it up and has been for years. They have also been known to - illegally - copy the books while the business is still open. They call it an audit. And the 15 year penalty for a registry. Who will prosecute it? Holder? The same guy who won't prosecute current NICS rejections let alone ATF supported murders due to "Fast and Furious".

Yes most of what is on Gottlieb's dream sheet sounds pretty good. I'll believe it happens when I see pigs fly.

kumabear17;862863[COLOR="#FF0000" said:
]I don't think we are doing anything to support the anti's.[/COLOR] I do believe many people read what they want to see in the Toomey/Manchin bill believeing it just "has to pass". To me that is being extremely naive. Let's see who do we think has power in the Senate? Would it be members like Schumer or McCain.... Republicans have no strength and no Leadership.

The Toomey bill has you believing that with a CPL you will be able to wander around the United States - in and out of IL, NJ and NY - carrying your own handgun and buying more along the way. With the laws in place, the jerk in the White House, the morons in Congress, none of that will fly.

Even the crap about if you have a CPL there will be no background check. You just have to fill out a 4473. Where do you think the 4473 goes when the FFL leaves business> The ATF picks it up and has been for years. They have also been known to - illegally - copy the books while the business is still open. They call it an audit. And the 15 year penalty for a registry. Who will prosecute it? Holder? The same guy who won't prosecute current NICS rejections let alone ATF supported murders due to "Fast and Furious".

Yes most of what is on Gottlieb's dream sheet sounds pretty good. I'll believe it happens when I see pigs fly.

pi$$ and moan about what NRA and SAF and what they are doing. because they don't go all out for one great move. well the anti's have been doing what Alan and others are doing right now one little step at a time and sometimes they know they will lose a lawsuit but go forwards with it any way so it can be appealed and get a better decision from a more friendly court, but go ahead an pi$$ and moan.

pi$$ and moan about what NRA and SAF and what they are doing.

And for all the complainers, What are YOU doing? Are you putting your money where your mouth is? What have YOU achieved? If you are not behind the NRA/SAF/GOA/JPFO who are you behind??

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top