Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Alan Gottlieb, supports new gun registration bill

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by deen_ad, Apr 14, 2013.

1. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Close vote seen on background checks on gun buyers

SOooooooo What are the anti-gun nuts going to give the pro gun owners in return?

2. Dave Workman

Dave Workman Western Washington Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

This may help answer:

Prison for gun registration part of CCRKBA-backed bill

A possible prison sentence of up to 15 years for using background check information to create any kind of gun registry is one of the keystone provisions of a substitute measure introduced as an option to Sen. Charles Schumer’s (D-NY) bill, and Bellevue’s Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms had a hand in its creation.

Prison for gun registration part of CCRKBA-backed bill - Seattle gun rights | Examiner.com

There's a link to Codrea's column, but here it is for your added pleasure:

Gun group ?had hand in writing? Manchin-Toomey background check amendment - National gun rights | Examiner.com

3. jb11

jb11 salem Active Member

They wont give us JACK S--T!

4. deen_ad

Dave:
    So, can Obummer bypass that provision using an Executive Order?
    Both he and Eric Witholder shoulc be in jail now over F&F and it looks like they're going to skate free.

5. timac

timac Loading Magazines! Well-Known Member

TRAITORS!

pokerace, RB87, Redcap and 5 others like this.
  6. One-Eyed Ross

One-Eyed Ross Winlock, WA Well-Known Member

I will support background checks for all gun purchases when you need a background check to get baptized, buy a computer, call an attorney, have a jury trial, etc., etc.

BDA.45, GOG, bill97024 and 3 others like this.
  7. Dave Workman

I don't think he has the constitutional authority for that. He cannot bypass Congress.

8. Dave Workman

We're not asking them to "give" anything. It appears we may just it.

9. deen_ad

Well, he's been doing it and getting away with it!

10. kumabear17

kumabear17 Issaquah Active Member

Gottlieb was able to pull a bait and switch with the WA State Legislature when the Police Admin refused a part of his bill. It sounds like he is trying the same now with the Senate. Who is kidding who? He makes it sound like it’s a sneak attack he formulated with Toomey and Manchin, but now proceeds to tell the world what he did. Maybe he has some other secrete strategy. Either that or he’s going to look like the biggest *** in the world (besides Obama) when this blows up.

It appears:
    (1) He really thinks people like Schumer are going to accept a process like the one below:
    DAYLIGHT DISINFECTANT | SHOCK VIDEO: GUN RIGHTS ADVOCATE?S STAFF HELPED WRITE BACKGROUND CHECK BILL
    Another important one, you cannot now legally buy a handgun in a state that you don’t live in. If you’re not a resident of the state you can’t buy a handgun. Under the so-call “Background CHeck Bill,” you’ll be able to buy a handgun in all 50 states, as long as you buy it from a licensed dealer you can buy it from anywhere you want.
    Who’s brave enough to visit New Jersey, NY or Connecticut to test this idea.

(2) He said internet sales would require a background check. Don’t they already, but like others have mentioned it’s not defined. Does that mean I e-mail a buddy or list it on the Forum and now a background check is required.

(3) What I understand is there’s some question regarding loaning a gun to a friend. If I’m at the range or hunting right next to someone, it’s okay. If my buddy borrows my hunting rifle for a two week elk hunt, I’m breaking the law. Guess I could sell it to him for $1 and then buy it back.

With want-to-be power brokers like McCain and Graham involved, how much can Gottlieb believe he can out maneuver these RINO’s. We allowed the NE states to violate the 2nd Amendment and, even after supposedly winning in the Supreme Court, I don’t think many people are legally buying guns in D.C.. Colorado fell and IL is getting worse. Let’s not talk about CA. We think we can negotiate? It would have been better to fight them head on with the filibuster by Paul, Lee and Cruz.

11. RB87

RB87 Oregon Active Member

Gottlieb is delusional. And to stand there in Portland and in his speech talk about people who can barely speak english walking into gun shows and buying any ol gun with no background check is assinine. Uh, Oregon closed the so called gun show loop hole 13 years ago in 2000. Of course, mall shootings still happen don't they?

Re Kumabear's point 1, I thought you could buy a handgun out of your state of residence but it had to be shipped to a state FFL for pickup? So all we're gaining is the ability to take it home that day (provided passing a check)? Whoop dee do? As Kumabear said, are you brave enough to try that in NJ or CT? Like those states won't come up with any laws/regs to make it hard or impossible to do anyway.

Whats a neighbor anyway? A family member? Will they charge you with a felony if you don't have paperwork on a private sale from before the law? Bye bye presumption of innocence (long gone on many issues already).

Interesting reading, "its a trap": http://www.volokh.com/2013/04/15/th...bonanza-of-gun-control/?ModPagespeed=noscript

meener777 and (deleted member) like this.
  12. BAMCIS

BAMCIS Eugene Well-Known Member

Uh, what in the hell is he talking about? He's either full of BS and trying to sell us on this or he doesn't know the law. Maybe both. Nothing will change with this "new law". You already can buy a handgun in a state you don't live in.

My lovely wife and I are contracting in Alabama. Last week during a visit to a LGS she saw me slobbering all over an Ed Brown Kobra. She bought it for me as an anniversary gift. In return I bought her the Colt Defender she was eyeballing. They're patiently waiting for us at our FFL when we return home next week.

13. GunnyG

GunnyG The Highlands Active Member

But you didn't, and can't, take delivery of handguns from that out-of-state FFL. You can purchase and take delivery of rifles and shotguns at a FFL, in a state that you aren't a resident of.

"...allowed nonlicensed purchasers to acquire long guns (from a FFL) ... if (1) the purchaser’s State of residence permitted such sale and (2) the sale fully complied with the legal conditions of sale in both such contiguous states."

Firearms - Industry - FFL Tip of the Month | ATF

14. BAMCIS

BAMCIS Eugene Well-Known Member

Ahhhh. Buying and taking delivery are two different things. And that was one of the points I was trying to make.

The other was he's trying to tell us what a favor he did for us when, in my opinion, he did nothing but cave.

15. oknow

oknow amboy wa. Well-Known Member

first it was the NRA now you people are beaching about SAF you are doing a great service for blumberg. I guess OFF or GOA is next.
    GET YOUR HEAD OUT and look at what you are doing for the anti's:banghead:

16. Don H

Don H Oregon Well-Known Member

Before jumping to conclusions, read this:

The Common Sense Gun Lobby Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms

17. Don H

Listen to Alan explain his tactics:

[video=youtube;VKHnkZSHWN4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKHnkZSHWN4[/video]

18. kumabear17

kumabear17 Issaquah Active Member

I don't think we are doing anything to support the anti's. I do believe many people read what they want to see in the Toomey/Manchin bill believeing it just "has to pass". To me that is being extremely naive. Let's see who do we think has power in the Senate? Would it be members like Schumer or McCain.... Republicans have no strength and no Leadership.

The Toomey bill has you believing that with a CPL you will be able to wander around the United States - in and out of IL, NJ and NY - carrying your own handgun and buying more along the way. With the laws in place, the jerk in the White House, the morons in Congress, none of that will fly.

Even the crap about if you have a CPL there will be no background check. You just have to fill out a 4473. Where do you think the 4473 goes when the FFL leaves business> The ATF picks it up and has been for years. They have also been known to - illegally - copy the books while the business is still open. They call it an audit. And the 15 year penalty for a registry. Who will prosecute it? Holder? The same guy who won't prosecute current NICS rejections let alone ATF supported murders due to "Fast and Furious".

Yes most of what is on Gottlieb's dream sheet sounds pretty good. I'll believe it happens when I see pigs fly.

19. oknow

oknow amboy wa. Well-Known Member

pi$$ and moan about what NRA and SAF and what they are doing. because they don't go all out for one great move. well the anti's have been doing what Alan and others are doing right now one little step at a time and sometimes they know they will lose a lawsuit but go forwards with it any way so it can be appealed and get a better decision from a more friendly court, but go ahead an pi$$ and moan.

Netspirit, bcdon, Botte Hork and 3 others like this.
  20. Don H

And for all the complainers, What are YOU doing? Are you putting your money where your mouth is? What have YOU achieved? If you are not behind the NRA/SAF/GOA/JPFO who are you behind??