JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hope he sues them and makes a pretty penny for violating his rights.

Id emplore him to use the right of self expression excuse. No weapon was on him, just something that could hold it, heck it could hold many things aside from a firearm. I would have played dumb and messed with those idiots.

That'll shut these idiot bigot anti gun Rtards up. :D

Good thing he wasn't using a old military ruck as book bag , might have been charged with terrorism.
A empty holster? Good Grief!!!!!
If someone on campus was worried , why couldn't they just ask the student and then suggest that in today's world wearing a empty holster out and about , might not be the best idea...?
No need for law enforcement to be involved or for anyone to cited.
Andy

Dbag campus mall cops with meaningless lives need to find some small way to add value to their pathetic existence. People like this need to go on the list for when it all falls apart.

It's because he was white, male and probably a heterosexual.

Had he been anything else it would have been accepted as a protest. Actually he could have burned down a town in protest and escaped with no punishment.

If it were me I would have chosen the politically correct method. I would have informed the campus police that I was trans-gendered and that the holster was my tampon case, been polite and smiled then asked where the women's restroom was as I needed to use the bathroom!

The cite was recinded. No story here.
Sort of, but when a knee jerk reaction to a non issue happens.... We must be alert and knowing the tactics of those out to turn a right into a privilege.

It's because he was white, male and probably a heterosexual.

Yup, had he been a tri-sexual double-transgender blind dwarf ethnic minority amputee with Tourette's he may well have gotten clean away with it.

Me, I'd like to try it with a Smith & Wesson revolver box, and see what happens next.

Every day of my life I carry around with me the most dangerous weapon known to man, safely located between my ears. It is called my reasoning brain, and no other weapon on earth can match it for deviousness and Machiavellian machinations.

Just think - the campus cops, devoid of any reasoning in their actions, actually carry lethal firearms...who would YOU trust?

tac

Expect more harassment of this type as "Students for Concealed Carry" are going to keep doing this. A similar situation happened at the University of Wyoming http://www.laramieboomerang.com/news/article_904ec5ff-49d8-5e87-8e8d-5f141b5997db.html

In the comments section, a guy claiming to be the person who was arrested states he will keep wearing his holster as a form of protest.

First, I was not attempting to intimidate anyone. The wearing of an empty holster was my form of symbolic speech protected under the 1st Amendment and the specific wearing of a holster for symbolic speech has already been protected by federal courts. Sorry AJ but I am not a rightwing radical. Sorry you feel that way about a person who want the rights stated in the Bill of Rights and that an empty holster is dangerous. You seem to be the ignorant one here. I never found out about any threats until after my arrest.

The search was not random and the uw police know my affiliation with Student for Concealed Carry on Campus advocating LEGAL carry on campus which to them must mean I am breaking school policy by bringing a concealed firearm on campus and have been targeting with special treatment because of it. I'm not intimidated and will continue to wear my holster during Empty Holster Protest 2011 despite their threats.P.S. Meg Lanker is part of the group and supports the cause for people who have concealed firearms permit.

I support these people and applaud their conviction.

Ray

The cite was recinded. No story here.

I'm sorry but this is wrong. How many times have cops arrested people to force compliance with ... with ... what ever the cop wants at that time? Knowing no prosecutor would ever sign on. Many times leading to the innocent person loosing a job, or missing an important event.

There is a story. And a fight.

" SOMEONE SHOULD BE FIRED OVER THIS. OR AT LEAST DEMOTED:

University of South Alabama admits citing student for empty holster was a mistake. But this isn't bad, really: "DJ Parten, the student who received the citation, was also contacted [by] the chief of campus police, who invited him to come to the station for a personal apology from the officers involved in the incident."

-- Glenn Reynolds http://pjmedia.com/instapundit/231675/

I'm sorry but this is wrong. How many times have cops arrested people to force compliance with ... with ... what ever the cop wants at that time? Knowing no prosecutor would ever sign on. Many times leading to the innocent person loosing a job, or missing an important event.

There is a story. And a fight.

" SOMEONE SHOULD BE FIRED OVER THIS. OR AT LEAST DEMOTED:

University of South Alabama admits citing student for empty holster was a mistake. But this isn't bad, really: "DJ Parten, the student who received the citation, was also contacted [by] the chief of campus police, who invited him to come to the station for a personal apology from the officers involved in the incident."

-- Glenn Reynolds http://pjmedia.com/instapundit/231675/

The campus cops didn't get fired or demoted, but at least one of them got an unpaid vacation for his actions.
http://wkrg.com/2016/04/16/usa-officer-suspended-for-ticketing-student-with-empty-holster/
Officer Steve Turppa was subsequently suspended for five days without pay and the police department apologized to Parten, a gesture he said was adequate resolution.

It's a start.

Ray

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews