Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

AK47 Barrel pin removal

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Gunsmithing' started by satinwood, May 31, 2010.

1. satinwood

satinwood Portland Member

i dont have a hydraulic press. Anyone have any good ideas on how to remove a barrel pin without the press?

2. candyman

candyman Scappoose, OR Active Member

u can use a large vise it works better then a press anyway

or u can drill it out and replace it as they are fairly cheap

3. wayoutwest

wayoutwest Polk County, Oregon Active Member

Big F'in Hammer

Or a vise with a several different length Grade 8 bolts and a nut(or deep well socket) on the back side for the pin to slide though.

4. satinwood

satinwood Portland Member

Thanks guys. That is what i thought. But my concern was how do i support it in the vice? Or if i use a hammer and a punch, how do i not damage the trunnion on the other side?

Thanks again.

5. fry

fry pacific north west Active Member

having a 1/2" plate steel table really helps. use some copper buss bar as a cushion.

6. rdb241

rdb241 Puyallup Washington Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

You will never get the pin out using a hammer and a punch. It takes a few ton of preasure to get the pin to have the first pop. Then you might be able to get it out with a hammer and punch. If you beat on it with a hammer and punch before you get that pop you will swell one end of the pin and you have to drill it out. I doubt very seriously that you can get a few ton of preasure with a bench vise.

7. fry

probably never get the barrel out of the trunion with a drift and a piece of copper in the chamber?

it helps to have a table that weighs four hundred pounds but isnt a deal breaker.

8. Ding

Ding Lighter Side of Oz Active Member

hammer and punch.drill a hole into a block of 2x4 for the pin to pass through and lay the barrel pin over the hole and whack the pin with the punch.use a short stubby punch that is slightly smaller than the pin.this keeps the punch from breaking.try taping the barrel/receiver stub to the wood to keep it in place,gives ya the extra hand.soak it with some break free etc a night or two before the BFH.

9. rdb241

A hammer does not have enough pounds of preasure to get the pin out. You will only ef up the pin if you start beating on it. I have tried what you are saying and just what I said happened. The pin swelled and it had to be drilled out. The best way is to use a press. If you don't have one, find somebody that will let you use one in there shop.....

10. fry

you dont need a press to get the trunion pin out. two by fours are not the answer and bounce back.

a bigass piece of RR Tie or Vice or plate steel table works well with a short handle two pounder.

11. Ding

Ah horse pucky,I used nothing but a BFH and 2x4's to take my barrel pins and all other pins I needed to pound out.I have built one or two in my time.Might not work for you guys but it did work for me.I have a 12 ton press and have only used it on the barrel,in and out.

12. rdb241

Yippie.......good for you.....:thumbup:

13. Ding

geez what a waste of time.:thumbup:

14. Confedpirate

Confedpirate Couve New Member

I've use a 2in thick square piece of Poly from Parkrose Hardware and drift pin that is slightly smaller then trunnion pin and 2 lbs single jack