JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I'm kinda thinking about picking up another AK (I sold my mak90 some years ago) and I'm kinda not totally sure which way to go, it looks like the 5.45x39 edges out the 7.62x39 on price, by a lot (Wideners has 7.62 for $275/K, and 5.45 for $175/1080). However what are the better brands out there? Arsenal seems pretty common and seems to have a good rep, I've worked on some of the IOI's and yea they're utter crap.

It seems the big difference between the two is AK47 mags are cheap, like <$15 cheap, but most places that have AK74 mags seem to want some coin for them. The tapco mags are pretty cheap, but are they any good? I've seen the promags go for cheap, but I've been burned by them often enough that I won't even touch a takedown wrench from them.

At the moment I'm really leaning towards the AK74, and ordering a few dozen spam cans of that russian ammo. I think century arms is the primary importer from izmash, is this correct? Tapco has a long history of selling US made compliance parts, I'm guessing for a standard config (w/pistol grip) it's going to be this style?

Also, are drums made for the AK74?

The Yugo OPAPs are probably the best deal on the retail market today. WASRs are generally good too but as they are in the same price range as the Yugo's, the latter would be my choice as the fit and finish is above that of the Romanian rifle. Both are Century imports, and both are foreign built with Century just adding 922r parts i.e. they are not kit guns and the receivers, barrels, etc are foreign. If you can find a used AK from the SAR series they would also be a good choice. (As you can see, I'm not a big fan of kit rifles.)

FIME group imports the Arsenals. IMO the Izmash rifles are fine rifles, but their prices are getting to the point where even I wouldn't consider another one again.

5.45x39 is a great round but for the most part only Russia uses it. The rest of the world still uses 7.62x39. The surplus is cheap now, but it will eventually dry up and the remaining commercial will most likely be comparable in price to the latter. The advantages of the former are of course less weight, greater long distance accuracy and lower recoil.

I've never had a problem with TAPCO mags, but the surplus offerings are back down to comparable prices so that is the way I would go.

I don't believe an RPK74 drum was ever issued for actual field use and I've never seen a US offering either.

Keith

I like my Arsenal in 7.62x39. The quality is the best I have seen since the preban Norincos. They are spendy though. I prefer steel mags myself and may even switch out the plastic stocks for wood (US made) cause it looks better... :)
I am more of a collector so I wanted a Russian made rifle just for giggles but the other AK's mentioned are fine guns. I kind of wanted an AMD-65 model since The Afghan National Police and/or Taliban used them and it would be a good counterpart to my M4 in my collection.

I have a converted Saiga. Some Arsenal's are made from Saiga's
I like the idea of it being made in Russia.
I really like the idea it being made by Izhmash which makes it a true Kalashnikov.
Mikhail Kalashnikov's office is in the same manufacturing plant.

Mine is in 5.56/.223 yeah dawg, fffnA
One of my best buddies has a AR in 7.62x39,,,, go figure. :huh:
We rag each other about our choices..... :s0112:
Saiga1223.jpg
Yep, that's an Aimpoint Comp M2... same as a lot of AR's in Iraq and Afghanistan.

for me, AK is 7.62x39. recoil is very mild and fun to shoot.

I personally would not bother using off brand magazines, however tapco G2 trigger is good.

I've had an AK74 and now I own the AK47, so I would choose the 47 personally. As long as the AK is made from new parts and has a chrome lined barrel I'm good with it for the most part. Some also prefer the mag dimples on the receiver, my M10 doesn't have mag dimples, it's like the WASR receiver, but there is almost no mag wobble with most of my 20+ AK mags. From what I understand, the dimples are there in the receiver to stiffen the receiver. I used to think they were there to reduce mag wobble.

Good thing is also that Magpul is suppose to be putting the AK mags out there for sale.... soon I hope (they had said late summer 2013). Tapco mags are nice, specially the new smooth sided one, and I would use them for range use. For SHTF I would use the factory steel, Bulgarian waffle, bakelite etc.

2013-06-12205625_zpsa9653b4f.jpg

The dimples strengthen the receiver and prevent oil canning in the area of the mag cutout, but they also reduce mag wobble. Whether the latter was also a consideration during design is still of debate. There are actual military issue AKs like the RPK74 that do not have dimples, having the welded plates like the WASRs' instead. IMO functionally either is just as good, although aesthetically I prefer the dimples.

When I bought my Arsenal I sold my ban-era WASR with beautiful factory blonde furniture and I've been regretting it ever since. The person I sold it to also likes it so much that he won't sell it back... :( :s0114:

Keith

I chose 7.62x39 because I like the cartridge, it feels like I'm firing something a little more substantial. It's also available at the big box stores and local gun shops which is a big plus. Considering how AK prices have risen lately consider a Mak 90, M&M 10, SAR 1, Waffen Works or as mentioned above a Yugo OPAP or M70. If you know what to look for a newer WASR 10/63 is decent. Arsenal's are great, they are quality but you will pay a premium.

Ak's can be had at good prices, that said the Wasr is not a bad gun you get the sight rail on the side which is nice but it wont be as refined as say an arsenal. Vepr is another great one to look at. Im changing the furniture on my 7.62x54r right now because the ammo is still a decent price. I.O. inc has some but your mileage may vary on those and the same goes for Interarms ak's. Custom builds can be amazing if you got the right builder. you can always check out youtube for reviews and different AK sights. If you want to check them out in person just to see what you like I have some in stock your always more than welcome to.

Well...get one of each!

I've got a few AK74's and a few AK47's...like 'em both.

Stay with chrome lined barrels and for the most part, away from CAI imports.

Lately, the price of 7.62 x 39 have come down to about the same as 5.45 x 39. Go figure?!

As already said, Tapco makes a good G2 trigger, but the mags, not as good.

Be well,
Will

I just bought a Waffen Werks AK74 from Classic Arms.. love it. Copes Dist has used steel 30 rders for 15 bucks

If it matters to you, Yugos are not standard AK design and will not accept a slidefire stock

30652177d27ce596bfdf_1.jpg

I just bought the Hungarian SA85M in nearly unfired condition. My first AKM rifle and am excited to get to fire soon. I'm already mulling over stock and grip options. Thinking of going Hogue for the grip.

Here's the '74 Waffen Werks (has the suggested chrome lined barrel) set up to party with the slidefire stock and a Bushnell red dot, etc.. will likely install the gen 1+ Russian NV (with side mount) scopes that are being sold right now. (EDIT.. found out they are HUGE so that's off the table) If it matters the '74 ammo is 2/3rds the cost of 7.62 and the mil surp Russian ammo is a decent manstopper. Last I looked copes distributing still had decent used steel Russian mags for 15 bucks and J & G has Bulgarian "circle" poly mags for 20 bucks

2013_11_18_254_7b313d5d66fc08c96a2d.jpg

I'm on the lookout for a SIG556R. Built by SIG in 7.62X39.

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
Defender of Freedom Award
NRA Recruiter
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

I'm on the lookout for a SIG556R. Built by SIG in 7.62X39.

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
Defender of Freedom Award
NRA Recruiter
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

Here's mine, has been 100% so far. If you buy an earlier one without the SIG upgrades they will do it for free. They do not take drums

2013_11_24_349_6b560f8570f2e27c5e78.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads