JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Today I picked up an AK, it came with the disclaimer that it was used only once and had a failure to feed that then detonated causing damage to the shooter but not the rifle.

I'm not familiar with AKs, never took one apart before today, I could see no damage.

What would cause this?
ammo was steel cased wolf or another brand I dont have atm (ammo is still in trunk of car)
What should I look for?
I'm ordering go no go gage and some dummies tomorrow, also some new mags.... what mags feed best?

Thank y'all in advance.

Not an AK expert, but the first thing I would check is that the firing pin moves freely in the bolt. If it protrudes when feeding, it could fire before locking, much like an open bolt weapon.

What would cause this?

The cause: Century built it. :rolleyes:

Seriously, I wouldn't pay much (i.e. less than $200 and that's only IF it passes other inspection) for a Century built AK, and I will actively avoid Century as a brand. They just make junk and poorly assembled junk. I got fleeced on their tRASh47. I paid premium retail for the lastest-greatest American made AK. Lots of online testing show they failed heat treating and long term tests show the gun to be tRASh. The bolt, trunion, stock, sights are all poorly made and fragile and fail after low round counts. An AK should last 50,000 rounds and these tRASh Aks were failing at 1/10th that.

Unless it both passes inspection, and it's really really cheap, skip it. You will lose money otherwise, and probably be disappointed in the longevity.

Not an AK expert, but the first thing I would check is that the firing pin moves freely in the bolt. If it protrudes when feeding, it could fire before locking, much like an open bolt weapon.

Do this, take the bolt out of the BCG and wiggle it around by itself. If the pin is stuck out and won't freely move in and out, then you risk slamfires or firing whenever you charge or chamber.

It might be a slam fire but only if the description is wrong.

The weapon failed to feed. That means there was no round in the chamber. So it's hard to guess what caused it.
We do know the rifle failed to feed. So that's a problem. I've never seen a bad AK magazine, so I'd probably rule that out.

Hard to speculate what the cause was without having more specific information. For me, hard pass unless dirt cheap.

One thing to keep in mind, due to lack of safety sear the only thing that prevents OOB in AKs that have a FTF is the carrier tail. Given that CAI uses cast bolt carriers I wouldn't be surprised if the tail was worn out too much.

And instead of manually pushing back the hammer before pulling the handle, previous owner probably tried to pull back the charging handle and kaboom.

Or it didn't have a FTE and only had a kaboom due to headspace and you were bamboozled.

One thing to keep in mind, due to lack of safety sear the only thing that prevents OOB in AKs that have a FTF is the carrier tail. Given that CAI uses cast bolt carriers I wouldn't be surprised if the tail was worn out too much...

Possible, however after supposed minimal rounds, less likely. IMO.

Unless manufactured/installed tail defective. More likely, IMO. If it is the tail.

Other possibilities? Maybe a bad rivet? Eg bolt carrier rail rivet (if it has one) causing drag/slight oob. AFAIK, not all AK variants have a bolt carrier rail rivet which could cause this type of problem tho.

Possible, however after supposed minimal rounds, less likely. IMO.

Unless manufactured/installed tail defective. More likely, IMO. If it is the tail.

Other possibilities? Maybe a bad rivet? Eg bolt carrier rail rivet (if it has one) causing drag/slight oob. AFAIK, not all AK variants have a bolt carrier rail rivet which could cause this type of problem tho.
Its CAI. It can be anything. It can even last a few hundred, or last two rounds.

Century Arms?

giphy.gif

I'm now thinking this is some build on a centry reciver?
The reciver is stamped GP-1975 sporter
The barrel lug? Is stamped 1990-AEK
The bolt AER28XX
And carrier AEL 07XX

Some Franken gun?

GP75s were essentially Century "kit builds" using Romy parts....they were sold by them for a few years. Mostly romanian parts with a US receiver and compliance parts. Kinda "meh", but I don't remember hearing bad things about them.
An out of battery detonation isnt impossible with an AK, but it would leave some tell tale signs....you able to post pics?

I'm no AK expert and maybe it's unrelated but what jumps out at me looking at those pics is that there looks to be a pretty extreme amount of wear on that receiver pin in front of the hammer. This isn't a wear part and I don't think anything should be coming in contact with it in such a manner. Has it been dry-fired a lot with the bolt carrier removed? It doesn't appear there's corresponding wear on the hammer. Is the bolt sliding on it? If so something might be badly out of spec. For comparison I took apart one of mine. This one I've had for years and years and it has had thousands of rounds through it, and there's no such wear.

7522A0BC-0A62-4DD9-BA77-F0CEA2CDBD3B.jpeg

Put a round in the chamber with the bolt and carrier removed see if it chambers if not look for part of a broke shell in the chamber . If that's all good try a different mag and cycle it manually ,it might have double fed and the 2nd round hit the primer .

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top