JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What a wonderful place. I spent last week in and around the Chicago metro area for a training class for work. It's nice knowing you are heading to one of the most dangerous cities in the country, and can't carry your concealed weapon for protection. What a wonderful place.

Since Illinois won't recognize any other state's CHL (Oregon must have taken that idea from their playbook) and won't issue a carry permit to non-residents, you're just completely hosed if you travel there. To top it off, I was travelling light, not checking my bag, which meant no knives or anything else for defense on my person.

So, I did the best I could do, I ordered some cheap blades on Amazon and had them shipped to my hotel - they were waiting for me when I got there. I brought a pocket sharpener and they quickly sharpened up - really sharp, I cut my finger :(. Also got a decent, yet inexpensive Stanley pocket tool - all of this shipped, for less than the cost of a checked bag. And, at the end of the trip, I just grabbed a small box and shipped them back to myself. The whole deal was less than the cost of one checked bag. Not a bad alternative, and at least I got to have something on me during my time there.

2 Pack Knives - $4.50 shipped (free on Prime) - really decent quality for the price, better than I expected, and great for the short use I needed them for:

612i64VOpAL._SL1000_.jpg

Stanley Multi-Tool - $12.10 shipped (free with Prime) - also pretty darn decent quality and came with a belt pouch:

51xQK4zZ8KL._SL1000_.jpg

I was originally just planning to toss them out, but it only cost me $6 to ship them back home. So, there you have it, under $25 to have a usable multi-tool and 2 half-decent knives as some kind of defense when in the Chicago area. And since I wasn't in the physical city of Chicago most of the time, I didn't have to worry about the blade length on the larger knife.

Oh, and it would appear they really only ban one kind of gun in the area - I saw these signs everywhere - they don't say all guns/firearms are prohibited :rolleyes: Maybe I would have been okay carrying my M&P - feel free to correct me if I'm wrong (I may be), but isn't that a silhouette of a Beretta 92? The forward curved grip is throwing me a bit:

IMG_5433a.JPG

What a wonderful place. I spent last week in and around the Chicago metro area for a training class for work. It's nice knowing you are heading to one of the most dangerous cities in the country, and can't carry your concealed weapon for protection. What a wonderful place.

Since Illinois won't recognize any other state's CHL (Oregon must have taken that idea from their playbook) and won't issue a carry permit to non-residents, you're just completely hosed if you travel there. To top it off, I was travelling light, not checking my bag, which meant no knives or anything else for defense on my person.

So, I did the best I could do, I ordered some cheap blades on Amazon and had them shipped to my hotel - they were waiting for me when I got there. I brought a pocket sharpener and they quickly sharpened up - really sharp, I cut my finger :(. Also got a decent, yet inexpensive Stanley pocket tool - all of this shipped, for less than the cost of a checked bag. And, at the end of the trip, I just grabbed a small box and shipped them back to myself. The whole deal was less than the cost of one checked bag. Not a bad alternative, and at least I got to have something on me during my time there.

2 Pack Knives - $4.50 shipped (free on Prime) - really decent quality for the price, better than I expected, and great for the short use I needed them for:

View attachment 251746

Stanley Multi-Tool - $12.10 shipped (free with Prime) - also pretty darn decent quality and came with a belt pouch:

View attachment 251747

I was originally just planning to toss them out, but it only cost me $6 to ship them back home. So, there you have it, under $25 to have a usable multi-tool and 2 half-decent knives as some kind of defense when in the Chicago area. And since I wasn't in the physical city of Chicago most of the time, I didn't have to worry about the blade length on the larger knife.

Oh, and it would appear they really only ban one kind of gun in the area - I saw these signs everywhere - they don't say all guns/firearms are prohibited :rolleyes: Maybe I would have been okay carrying my M&P - feel free to correct me if I'm wrong (I may be), but isn't that a silhouette of a Beretta 92? The forward curved grip is throwing me a bit:

View attachment 251745

Yep, could be. That or a Taurus 92:rolleyes:

Yep, could be. That or a Taurus 92:rolleyes:

I've looked at both - I'm not seeing the type of forward curvature in the design of either. Maybe it's meant to be more generic? Either way, I read that as no full sized semi-autos allowed ;) All others, have at it!!!

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top