JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What a wonderful place. I spent last week in and around the Chicago metro area for a training class for work. It's nice knowing you are heading to one of the most dangerous cities in the country, and can't carry your concealed weapon for protection. What a wonderful place.

Since Illinois won't recognize any other state's CHL (Oregon must have taken that idea from their playbook) and won't issue a carry permit to non-residents, you're just completely hosed if you travel there. To top it off, I was travelling light, not checking my bag, which meant no knives or anything else for defense on my person.

So, I did the best I could do, I ordered some cheap blades on Amazon and had them shipped to my hotel - they were waiting for me when I got there. I brought a pocket sharpener and they quickly sharpened up - really sharp, I cut my finger :(. Also got a decent, yet inexpensive Stanley pocket tool - all of this shipped, for less than the cost of a checked bag. And, at the end of the trip, I just grabbed a small box and shipped them back to myself. The whole deal was less than the cost of one checked bag. Not a bad alternative, and at least I got to have something on me during my time there.

2 Pack Knives - $4.50 shipped (free on Prime) - really decent quality for the price, better than I expected, and great for the short use I needed them for:

612i64VOpAL._SL1000_.jpg

Stanley Multi-Tool - $12.10 shipped (free with Prime) - also pretty darn decent quality and came with a belt pouch:

51xQK4zZ8KL._SL1000_.jpg

I was originally just planning to toss them out, but it only cost me $6 to ship them back home. So, there you have it, under $25 to have a usable multi-tool and 2 half-decent knives as some kind of defense when in the Chicago area. And since I wasn't in the physical city of Chicago most of the time, I didn't have to worry about the blade length on the larger knife.

Oh, and it would appear they really only ban one kind of gun in the area - I saw these signs everywhere - they don't say all guns/firearms are prohibited :rolleyes: Maybe I would have been okay carrying my M&P - feel free to correct me if I'm wrong (I may be), but isn't that a silhouette of a Beretta 92? The forward curved grip is throwing me a bit:

IMG_5433a.JPG

What a wonderful place. I spent last week in and around the Chicago metro area for a training class for work. It's nice knowing you are heading to one of the most dangerous cities in the country, and can't carry your concealed weapon for protection. What a wonderful place.

Since Illinois won't recognize any other state's CHL (Oregon must have taken that idea from their playbook) and won't issue a carry permit to non-residents, you're just completely hosed if you travel there. To top it off, I was travelling light, not checking my bag, which meant no knives or anything else for defense on my person.

So, I did the best I could do, I ordered some cheap blades on Amazon and had them shipped to my hotel - they were waiting for me when I got there. I brought a pocket sharpener and they quickly sharpened up - really sharp, I cut my finger :(. Also got a decent, yet inexpensive Stanley pocket tool - all of this shipped, for less than the cost of a checked bag. And, at the end of the trip, I just grabbed a small box and shipped them back to myself. The whole deal was less than the cost of one checked bag. Not a bad alternative, and at least I got to have something on me during my time there.

2 Pack Knives - $4.50 shipped (free on Prime) - really decent quality for the price, better than I expected, and great for the short use I needed them for:

View attachment 251746

Stanley Multi-Tool - $12.10 shipped (free with Prime) - also pretty darn decent quality and came with a belt pouch:

View attachment 251747

I was originally just planning to toss them out, but it only cost me $6 to ship them back home. So, there you have it, under $25 to have a usable multi-tool and 2 half-decent knives as some kind of defense when in the Chicago area. And since I wasn't in the physical city of Chicago most of the time, I didn't have to worry about the blade length on the larger knife.

Oh, and it would appear they really only ban one kind of gun in the area - I saw these signs everywhere - they don't say all guns/firearms are prohibited :rolleyes: Maybe I would have been okay carrying my M&P - feel free to correct me if I'm wrong (I may be), but isn't that a silhouette of a Beretta 92? The forward curved grip is throwing me a bit:

View attachment 251745

Yep, could be. That or a Taurus 92:rolleyes:

Yep, could be. That or a Taurus 92:rolleyes:

I've looked at both - I'm not seeing the type of forward curvature in the design of either. Maybe it's meant to be more generic? Either way, I read that as no full sized semi-autos allowed ;) All others, have at it!!!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top