1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $1,000 in prizes this month in the Northwest Firearms Winter Giveaway!
    Dismiss Notice


Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by biggie24420, Dec 27, 2010.

  1. biggie24420

    biggie24420 Beaverton Oregon Well-Known Member

    Likes Received:
    So you just used deadly force (legitimately) to save your life or the life of a friend or loved one. What do you do next? I was thought that I need to get to my phone as fast as I can and call 9-1-1. I was never clear on what to say to the 9-1-1 dispatcher..... what do you say when your scared, confused, and are on an adrenaline rush? Everything you say is being recorded and can be used against you when you go to court.

    Here is a website and a YouTube link.
    Limited Immunity for Calling 911
    YouTube - Alan Korwin "After you Shoot"
  2. Trlsmn

    Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

    Likes Received:
  3. wolfwistle

    wolfwistle lebanon Member

    Likes Received:
    Reload .
  4. sigman

    sigman Olympia, Wa Member

    Likes Received:
    I have been told to contact my lawyer first and let him let the police know.

    I have also been told to dial 911 and let the tape record my actions for possible litagation purposes.
  5. novamind

    novamind Hillsboro Active Member

    Likes Received:
    I say call a good friend and tell him the situation have him come over and go from there as this situation wears hard on the average man.
  6. Buddhalux

    Buddhalux Hillsboro, Oregon Active Member

    Likes Received:
    Call 911 and let them know that you have an intruder in your house that was a threat that you stopped and to send the police and EMS (if that's the situation). Tell them nothing else, of course name and location are fine. Once the police show up tell them the basics of what happened and that you'd like to speak to a lawer then plead the 5th so that you don't incriminate yourself.
  7. Redcap

    Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

    Likes Received:

  8. spengo

    spengo GLORIOUS CASCADIA Active Member

    Likes Received:
    That's what I have heard too. Give a very basic description of what happened like "this armed guy broke into my house and I defended myself with this firearm" and no details then call your lawyer.
  9. Nwcid

    Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

    Likes Received:
    How about,

    Call 911.

    "There has been a shooting. Please send help to (address)". Stay on the line with 911 and say nothing other then easily obtainable facts and as few of those as you can.

    Get you lawyer on another line and tell them what is going on.

    I would not even admit to or allude to the fact that you shot/defended/killed someone until you have your lawyer. You do HAVE the RIGHT to remain silent. This does not make you a bad guy, you can be very polite about it.

    I have never been in this situation though so who knows how it would really go. It would be best to hear from people that have been in situations like that. Problem is most of them really cant talk about it.
  10. MarkAd

    MarkAd Port Orchard Well-Known Member

    Likes Received:
    Also be sure to give a description of yourself so when the cops roll up the will know you are the homeowner and not the BG.
    But then shut up until you have a lawyer there.
  11. MA Duce

    MA Duce Central Oregon Well-Known Member

    Likes Received:
  12. iusmc2002

    iusmc2002 Colville, WA Active Member

    Likes Received:
    What's that saying? A good friend will be there when you need him, a best friend will be there to help you hide a body. :laugh: Something along those lines. Its really sad that the world has come to this point, where the average citizen is really guilty until proven innocent. Makes me hurt for my country
  13. Stumps

    Stumps Ashford, WA Member

    Likes Received:
    Call 911, advise them shots have been fired. Tell them you need police and medical aid (asking for medical aid shows a lack of malice on your part). Give a detailed description of what you are wearing. When the police arrive make sure you have put your weapon down and keep your hands away from your body. Expect to be handcuffed, don't resist the police, they got there after the fact and need to sort through what has happened. Do not be offended that they are not taking you at your word that you are the good guy. The more cooperative you are the easier the process will be. If you did nothing wrong you will be fine. Keep your answers short. Give a very basic run down of the events, do not go into fine detail without consulting an attorney.
  14. ejmpnu92

    ejmpnu92 Hillsboro, Or Active Member

    Likes Received:
    In some places, if the intruder has been rendered a non-threat but still dies some time later (before emergency services could arrive) and it can be proven that an attempt to save the persons life would have prolonged or saved them, the people in the immediate area can be considered liable for the intruders death. Once the intruder becomes a non threat, the right to defend against them goes away and anything done against them at that point forward can be held against the once defener turned aggressor.
    Don't get me wrong, don't really like this, but it all depends upon how the DA feels at the time.
    I agree, keep your mouth shut after a situation happens. The police are not there to help you, no matter what they say.
  15. James1300

    James1300 S.E. WA. Member

    Likes Received:
    How about, ask a Attorney? That way you will have a relationship with an Attorney prior to such an event.
    That way you get the streight legal information in advance.
  16. Swedish K

    Swedish K SW Washington Moderator Staff Member

    Likes Received:
    This brings up a good point - How do you go about finding the cream of the crop attorney in your area for this type of situation? I don't think I would want to roll the dice on a public defender in this situation.

    I wonder if the WA and OR BAR association has a listing of this type of thing.

    I know that CA BAR has a book of attorneys by area of specialty and they also send people to sit in and rate them on courtroom performance. I found out when a guy that ran a light and hit me tried to sue me for his actions and only found out because one of our in house investigators had a copy of the book.
  17. mjbskwim

    mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

    Likes Received:
    Yes on NOT TALKING
    I read somewhere to just tell them you will talk to a lawyer and be willing to help them in a few days.

    You just killed someone and unless this is a daily thing for you,you will say something you shouldn't.

    There is a link on here some place,from Nov of a lawyer and a cop talking about how we all want to tell our story
    And how this buries us if we don't have counsel with us

    Otherwise,see below:cool:

  18. desmocorse996

    desmocorse996 Vancouver, WA Member

    Likes Received:
    Armed Citizen's Legal Defense Network, LLC

    1.) I would recommend reading the articles on the website I listed above. Most internet forum advice is bad advice, especially if you live in an anti-gun metro area like Portland/Vancouver. The DA is most likely going to go for a prosecution for political reasons irregardless of evidence. Maybe not, but are you willing to risk bankruptcy - financial ruin or rotting in prison for defending yourself and family? What about a civil suit after the shooting?

    2.) Find a lawyer experienced in dealing with self-defense shooting cases and keep him on retainer. Make sure your wife or someone in your family has the lawyers number.

    3.) Know the laws in your state.

    4.) Clearly understand use of force, how to deal with threats, gun and ammo selection vs what a jury could be "led" to think by a highly aggressive prosecuting attorney and activist anti-second amendment judge who limits evidence, etc.

    Just read the website and then go from there - it is a real eye opener. Otherwise my best advice is to move out of Multinomah, Washington or Clark Country and into a rural area with a sheriff who does not have a political agenda.
  19. Izzy

    Izzy Oakridge Active Member

    Likes Received:
  20. Redcap

    Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

    Likes Received:
    That isn't a word.
    glock.40 and (deleted member) like this.