JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Long story short….Scumbag tenant at friends's condo in Portland wasn't paying rent thru COVID up till now. Finally the owners were able to legally evict him. He was given one week after eviction to retrieve his belongings. It's been a few weeks and still no word from said deadbeat. Legally, he has forfeited his belongings, however there are a few old hunting rifles we found while cleaning out the place. What are the legal mechanisms for the owners to sell them? This guy basically trashed the place and owners need to recoup some of the costs. Thanks for any help.

Have to send a letter to the last known address and wait 14 days
to dispose of someone's belongings, make copy's and send certified mail so you have proof if they file in small claims court, otherwise you have to store them, unless the eviction order from a judge says something different.
Another thing to check is if they are stolen.

Last Edited:
Bueller

I'm just wondering. These ppl are ttl dems and don't want to be adrift of the laws. I told them about 114 and the ongoing litigation. No idea. I think they're contacting a lawyer

Last Edited:
Contact a lawyer who specializes in firearms law.

Edit. The issue is that even if deadbeat legally forfeited his belongings, he is still owner to the firearms, unless the local police/sheriff confiscated them. Because no "transfer of ownership" has taken place with the required SB941 transfers/background check bs, i don't think legally your friend can take official possession of these firearms unless the owner of them is able to transfer them. This would also set up the deadbeat to take advantage and sue your friend to retrieve belongings especially firearms if he did not "legally transfer" them to your friend. Again, this is why the advice is to contact a lawyer knowledgeable on Oregon firearms laws and such.

Edit 2. If the LEOs can take possession of the firearms, then your friend can file claim to them after whatever period is needed? I don't know really how it works, but if it's in Portland.. those firearms may as well as be destroyed because.. Portland police :rolleyes:

Last Edited:
Screenshot_20230404-011020_Firefox.jpg

Second guessing giving them to the cops, eh? You gotta wait longer than three minutes to claim them. :D

What are ttl dems?

How did they like that taste of tyranny when the government told them they had to personally incur the costs of the government mandate to not evict non-paying tenants?

Regarding the firearms. If that guy was the deadbeat that he proved to be, contacting a lawyer about the situation will cost more than they are likely even worth.

Drop them off at the police station and call it a day.

Thank you to all that have replied. I have forwarded this info to the condo owners. They reached out to an attorney but haven't gotten any decisive legal info yet. They may just forfeit them to the police. I became involved because I have a pickup truck and can lift heavy things, lol. I told them that I'd reach out to you guys and gals. Unfortunately, due to murky legal waters, they may just surrender them to the police. They don't want any headaches more than they've already had.

@American123 -ttl dems means total Democrats. The world is turning to such crap that even Statist bootlickers are starting to wake up a bit. When Americans are forced to surrender such wealth with nothing in return, they get mad.Correlations start being made when the bread and circuses don't cut it anymore.
@skywag - they are a couple beat up but still serviceable bolt guns, one 25-06 and the other 308 and one 12 gauge bird gun

"What hunting rifles? We didn't see any rifles."

Chances are deadbeat tenants like this have no record of make, caliber or serial number anyway.

Actually, the fate and value of the rifles is way less important that getting their income-generating property back. Which it sounds like they appreciate.

Likely that the time and legal expenses to legally sell these firearms would exceed their market value. I hate to say I'm in the have police take possession of them (oh right Portland "They"? not sure of proper pronoun).
The other risk would be the evicted tenant reporting them lost / stolen and causing problems for the future possessors.

Paying for legal advice for some low dollar guns that you'd then have the hassle of trying to sell sounds like a losing situation. They are legally your property. Guns, cat, brown stained underwear and whatever else the low life left behind; it's all yours, and I'd treat it as such. Sell if you want, though I'd probably keep them as beaters/loaners if it was me.

Paying for legal advice for some low dollar guns that you'd then have the hassle of trying to sell sounds like a losing situation. They are legally your property. Guns, cat, brown stained underwear and whatever else the low life left behind; it's all yours, and I'd treat it as such. Sell if you want, though I'd probably keep them as beaters/loaners if it was me.
This seems to be the consensus. Not worth it. Again, these are not mine. I was just helping a family friend move junk yesterday and mentioned that the more erudite members here may have a solution. Thanks for the reply!

Thank you to all that have replied. I have forwarded this info to the condo owners. They reached out to an attorney but haven't gotten any decisive legal info yet. They may just forfeit them to the police. I became involved because I have a pickup truck and can lift heavy things, lol. I told them that I'd reach out to you guys and gals. Unfortunately, due to murky legal waters, they may just surrender them to the police. They don't want any headaches more than they've already had.

@American123 -ttl dems means total Democrats. The world is turning to such crap that even Statist bootlickers are starting to wake up a bit. When Americans are forced to surrender such wealth with nothing in return, they get mad.Correlations start being made when the bread and circuses don't cut it anymore.
@skywag - they are a couple beat up but still serviceable bolt guns, one 25-06 and the other 308 and one 12 gauge bird gun
Funny, I'd point out which political group and ideology forced that on them.

No sympathy from me.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads