JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I went with the Springfield xds 9 mm last fall when the deep sales were on. First time carried was last week and it was a feather. I went with the xds because of the sights and the 4 mags and holster which seemed like a better deal for me. I paid $420 for the stainless model package. Placed a 1.5" rubber bike tube over the grip for better control. Shields are great.

This agrees with what I think :

Size-It's a tie. They are almost Identical.
Aesthetics-I have to give this one to the M&P. The XDs looks like the chunky ugly friend.
Trigger-You can probably guess where the vote goes here. M&P.
Trigger Reset-Tie. Both are audible and tactile without being obnoxious.
Safeties-The XDs. Both have trigger safeties but I much prefer the XDs palm safety to the M&P manual safety if you opt for that version.
Sights-XDs. A front fiber optic sight standard? What? The sights on the M&P are standard three dot. Not bad just nothing to write home about for about $30.00 you get the same sight.

Caliber-XDs. A pocket .45 wins hands down. However, I don't feel underpowered with the 9mm. Don't get me started on the M&P in a 40. I've shot one and it was one of the worst shooting experiences of my life, the 45 is not much better. But the shield done 9mm and does it well.
Capacity-Technically a tie since the XDs is also offered in a 9mm and the standard magazines are both 7 rounds. The XDs does offer a 9 rounder but the M&P only offers an 8.
Ease of Takedown-Tie. They both takedown in exactly the same way.
Cost-M&P. Depending on options they are close in price and options.
Comfort-M&P. Holding it is just like it's big brother, which I feel is the most comfortable handgun ever. It has enough grip without being obtuse like the checkering on the XDs. The checkering on the XDs works well but feels a little to aggressive.

I didn't write the above but was a review I think fits my mind set, I did edit a couple areas.

As mentioned before this is my first 9mm. I'm finding bulk ammo to be about half the price of say .40. Do you guys even bother reloading? Also what is your preferred ammo to stockpile?

Man here's my carry history.
  • G26 (too bulky)
  • G43 (didn't like how snappy it was, how difficult it was to rack and the heavy trigger pull or that it had no manual safety beyond the trigger and this was when I first started carrying so just wasn't comfortable without a manual safety)
  • XDS (so heavy)
  • P938 (loved everything about it except for putting it back together, that guide rod/spring was a killer)
  • Shield (really wanted to not like it as much as I wanted to like the G43 but that's not the case, I like it a lot)
I ended up getting another G43 because I wanted to like it more than the shield, but like I said, I don't. Will get rid of it and get a Shield 2.0 so that I have a training/practice gun and a carry gun.

When the 45's at home, I'm carrying the 26 though never been a real fan. that said its a good fit in big hands and points and hits where I aim to my surprise. Other than size and the screwy trigger I'm hard put to complain.
Nonetheless, I just pre ordered the new Sig P365. I am very excited, I have had lots of hands on, though I have not shot it yet. I'm confident the little 9 will be my full time carry.
Standard night sights, two flush mags. smaller/ thinner than the 26 considerably, a seemingly fine trigger in keeping with other sigs I have shot plus, 10 + 1 rounds no less, and an optional extended 12 +1 round mag. Also, seems to be a higher purchase for a lower bore axis.
Hopefully I'll still be alive when they come in and or can still own a gun. Other hot off the press guns I've pre ordered took 9 months and another a year and a half.
Here is an overlay of other poplars on the P365
upload_2018-2-20_12-35-59.png

I appendix carry my Shield, but not really because I'm a lefty. Regardless I sometimes do a quick pat down because I forget it's there.

I've got a half dozen IWB holsters for my shield and none are comfortable. IWB carry positions all seemed like an instruments of the Devil. The appendix position seemed most comfortable, but still poked me in the groin when sitting or driving. So, I tried something a bit more novel. A "Clipdraw" which allows secure carry in the small of the back. The kit includes a different backplate for the shield which allows mounting the clip. I found this system to be completely comfortable in the small of the back position. Other positions are also possible. It's ambidextrous and $25.00 on eBay. BTW secure the allen screws with lots of Loctite else they loosens after an afternoon at the range.

DSC_0111.JPG DSC_0112.JPG

I've got a half dozen IWB holsters for my shield and none are comfortable. IWB carry positions all seemed like an instruments of the Devil. The appendix position seemed most comfortable, but still poked me in the groin when sitting or driving. So, I tried something a bit more novel. A "Clipdraw" which allows secure carry in the small of the back. The kit includes a different backplate for the shield which allows mounting the clip. I found this system to be completely comfortable in the small of the back position. Other positions are also possible. It's ambidextrous and $25.00 on eBay. BTW secure the allen screws with lots of Loctite else they loosens after an afternoon at the range.

View attachment 449400 View attachment 449401
Wouldn't want to fall on my back while carrying SOB, just sayin. That could get you lifetime admission to a wheelchair...

I think about these things...

Wouldn't want to fall on my back while carrying SOB, just sayin. That could get you lifetime admission to a wheelchair...
I think about these things...
that clip snags easilly put a rounD in chamber had it happen on fullsize whiledrive pushed as I sat hit the belt pulled and loaded a round had my witts but still nope not using any thing that attaches again

Just kidding in response to nammac's post. I doubt you could get a shield to fire in any holster if it got a serious hit or bump unless your finger was on the trigger.

In what ways did you feel the Glock was better than the Shield? I won't defend the Shield except it's a lot cheaper.

Norm

Capacity for starters. Also, the Shield's fit and finish were not great. One of the rear sight dots fell out for no particular reason. It shot just fine, but to be honest I shoot Glocks when ringing steel and it seemed strange to me to be a Glock shooter but carry a Shield.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top