JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
get yourself an rcbs .30 cal collet bullet puller.
This is what I use but some may recommend the 'hammer' style puller. Personally I have no experience with this style but it is less expensive than the collet style and I have heard they work ok. The collet style will require buying separate 'collets' for different calibers but is 'quiet' to use, allows you to use your press and is essentially a lifetime investment. The hammer style is plastic and will no doubt be prone to wear and breakage but It's not like it will be used everyday so choose wisely.

I have the hammer style, & it's OK for pistol rounds, or a few rifle cartridges to pull, but for a rifle round that is firmly seated, they're a pain in the butt. I share with my reloading buddies when I want to purchase a new collet, & we spread the cost.

I have used my RCBS hammer type puller now for 25+ years I haven't noticed any wear and its sure working like new. Granted I have never pulled 1000 sealed crimped .308 NATO bullets with it. But if you follow RVTECH's advise and push the bullet down a few mm before pulling you will have broken the seal and opened the crimp. In which case the bullet will pop out very easy.

And just to be clear I bang my RCBS Hammer puller down on a small steel anvil that does not give. And I have swung it very hard a LOT of times over the years with no damage to the hammer.

Thanks for the helpful info, I have a hammer type puller and an anvil, I will try one round as suggested to see if it works, but as a person that has swung that hammer many times to get one bullet out I'm opting for the collet style if the hammer fails!

'Poor Man's' bullet puller - unscrew any dies in your press. Find a pair of pliers that the jaws will enter into the die opening about half way. Place round in shell holder and raise until the bullet protrudes up through the die opening. Grasp the bullet with the pliers and hold the handles tightly. Slowly retract the round and if the pliers jaws have a good grip on the bullet it will pull free. With a little practice you can learn to negate the scratches on the bullet. For plinking The target will never notice and will not necessarily be inaccurate either.

I pulled the bullets and ran them through my case tumbler, As I feared the black stains on the bullets was iron oxide which had eaten through the copper plating on the bullets. About 30% of the bullets (1 pound) have oxide on the O-jive and I'm afraid it will become imbedded in the bore if I shoot them, I can clean them again, but is it worth the trouble?

If the oxide is on the narrower part of the ogive and will not make contact with the barrel I would shoot them. For an extra measure of security roll the bullets after loading in a wad of 4/0 steel wool to remove as much of the oxide as you can. I am currently burning through 1000's of NOS Speer 125 gr SP 9mm bullets which had lead oxide on the SP portion. Hours of tumbling got most of it off but some of them are still white with the oxide but the gun and targets are not complaining. Heck I have even loaded some of them in .38 Special for plinkers.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top