JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello from sunny Sequim.....I need some advice on getting a BP (percussion) rifle in .32 cal. Thin wallet, but could go for kit or completed gun. Good/bad brands? Any advice is most welcomed!

First a question. Why .32cal? what is your intended use?

Reason I ask is that .32cal is not legal for big game. And tends to be a very PITA caliber to shoot due to small bores fouling much quicker.

What ignition system are you thinking about? Flint, Precussion cap,or modern inline?

Do you have a rifle in mind? .32 cal would be a rare caliber to find.

First a question. Why .32cal? what is your intended use?

Reason I ask is that .32cal is not legal for big game. And tends to be a very PITA caliber to shoot due to small bores fouling much quicker.

What ignition system are you thinking about? Flint, Precussion cap,or modern inline?

Do you have a rifle in mind? .32 cal would be a rare caliber to find.

Was thinking along the line of a squirrel gun, .36 cal maybe? Would like to start percussion cap. Just paper punching, leading maybe to some accuracy shooting. I don't have any particular rifle in mind, other than a full stock, graceful and not too ornate. I'm ok with basic woodworking stuff. Kits sound attrctive, but maybe someone out there has one " in a closet". As you can tell, I have pretty wide parameters! I just joined a BP club, so they may have some suggestions as well.

As a first rifle I would suggest one of the older CVA, Traditions, or Thompson Center Hawkin rifles. Look for a .45 or 50cal. Learn the hobby go to Rendezvous And see whats available.

Very few factory or kit rifles were ever made in 36 cal. a few in 32 cal but since neither is legal for hunting the majority of the less expensive rifles are 45-54 cal.

It would require a custom build or buying one used but the best caliber in a round ball rifle for accuracy is a .40 and traditionally a good number of Ohio and other style Squirrel rifles were made in .40

Check out The Gun Works in Springfield - The Gun Works Muzzleloading Emporium - they have one of the most extensive inventory's of used guns.

Also Dixie Gun Works Dixie Gun Works muzzleloading, blackpowder and rare antique gun supplies. is a mega super store for Blackpowder stuff

Another place is Track of the Wolf Track of the Wolf - Muzzle Loading & Black Powder Guns Kits, Parts, Accoutrements, Rendezvous Gear & Primitive Americana

Thanks for the input....spent quite some time on those 3 sites and GB, etc. Looks like I have quite a bit of info to process before a decision.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top