JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello from sunny Sequim.....I need some advice on getting a BP (percussion) rifle in .32 cal. Thin wallet, but could go for kit or completed gun. Good/bad brands? Any advice is most welcomed!

First a question. Why .32cal? what is your intended use?

Reason I ask is that .32cal is not legal for big game. And tends to be a very PITA caliber to shoot due to small bores fouling much quicker.

What ignition system are you thinking about? Flint, Precussion cap,or modern inline?

Do you have a rifle in mind? .32 cal would be a rare caliber to find.

First a question. Why .32cal? what is your intended use?

Reason I ask is that .32cal is not legal for big game. And tends to be a very PITA caliber to shoot due to small bores fouling much quicker.

What ignition system are you thinking about? Flint, Precussion cap,or modern inline?

Do you have a rifle in mind? .32 cal would be a rare caliber to find.

Was thinking along the line of a squirrel gun, .36 cal maybe? Would like to start percussion cap. Just paper punching, leading maybe to some accuracy shooting. I don't have any particular rifle in mind, other than a full stock, graceful and not too ornate. I'm ok with basic woodworking stuff. Kits sound attrctive, but maybe someone out there has one " in a closet". As you can tell, I have pretty wide parameters! I just joined a BP club, so they may have some suggestions as well.

As a first rifle I would suggest one of the older CVA, Traditions, or Thompson Center Hawkin rifles. Look for a .45 or 50cal. Learn the hobby go to Rendezvous And see whats available.

Very few factory or kit rifles were ever made in 36 cal. a few in 32 cal but since neither is legal for hunting the majority of the less expensive rifles are 45-54 cal.

It would require a custom build or buying one used but the best caliber in a round ball rifle for accuracy is a .40 and traditionally a good number of Ohio and other style Squirrel rifles were made in .40

Check out The Gun Works in Springfield - The Gun Works Muzzleloading Emporium - they have one of the most extensive inventory's of used guns.

Also Dixie Gun Works Dixie Gun Works muzzleloading, blackpowder and rare antique gun supplies. is a mega super store for Blackpowder stuff

Another place is Track of the Wolf Track of the Wolf - Muzzle Loading & Black Powder Guns Kits, Parts, Accoutrements, Rendezvous Gear & Primitive Americana

Thanks for the input....spent quite some time on those 3 sites and GB, etc. Looks like I have quite a bit of info to process before a decision.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top