JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Today I spent the morning looking over the outfit, familiarizing myself with individual parts and how they might fit together as a whole. This afternoon, I set the press up on one of my work benches. Not my usual reloading bench. I have it set up on a bench I formerly used for automotive work which I don't do much of anymore. These days, when I get additional reloading equipment, I attach it to a platform of some kind (wood) that I can clamp down and move around if necessary. That way I don't have benches cluttered up with stationary stuff. The bench I used is 40 inches tall for working while standing. The Dillon 550 wasn't comfortable at that height so I jacked it up about 3-1/2 inches with a couple of two by sixes. The first two pieces of lumber I used weren't long enough by the time I installed the finished cartridge bin because there wasn't room for the clamp on the right side. So I went out to my storage building and got two longer planks of two by six and mounted the Dillon on those.

Next I addressed the tool head for a .223 Rem. configuration. I decided I wanted to use the powder measure. There is only one position where the powder measure may go, #2. So I decided to omit the powder checker, and put the bullet seater in #3 and a taper crimp die in #4. I'm not priming or sizing on the #1 because I have so much sized brass ready to go.

Some of my ready brass is primed. But I'm thinking, I may not want to prime rifle brass on the Dillon. I may just keep using the Lee hand or bench priming tools, which are pretty fast. I don't think I want to spend the time loading those priming tubes on the Dillon. I saw in the user's manual how it's done; I may change my mind about that later after I try it loading pistol cartridges.

I determined that the bullet seating die that came with the outfit is a Hornady Product, what they call a Custom Grade New Dimension design. Which has a sliding sleeve inside that is supposed to give optimal alignment of the bullet with the case mouth at the time of seating. I thought I had this adjusted properly; when I went to do a final check on it, I telescoped a case a bit but that was the only one I ruined .

It took me a while to get the powder measure attached and adjusted but it won't take any time at all next time I have to do it. When being done for your first time, a lot of this set-up work takes a bit of fiddling.

I was ready to start loading, so I poured some CFE223 into the powder measure. I have a little tub on the left side for bullets, and a tub on the right side for primed brass. I'm not using #1 position/station, but the primed case goes in there anyway so it can advance to the powder drop. I think it will be important to use a powder that meters easily.

Being a beginner on a progressive press, I find that I have to concentrate closely on what I'm doing to get into the rhythm of it. In doing my first five rounds, I got discombobulated a bit; a couple got through with my wondering if they got charged with powder. I put those five off to the side to go back and check weigh them.

I completed forty rounds without further errors. Now here's a good one. I did a check weigh on all of the cartridges I loaded, not the just first five that I suspected. I found several that were about 40 grains light. My first thought was, "Something is going on with my powder drop." But then I figured that wasn't likely because I was only loading 25.5 grounds of powder. So next, I got out my Hornady collet bullet puller. I pulled the "light" rounds, they all had a proper powder charge. Then I weighed the bullets. They weighted 15 grains. You read that right, they were copper jackets with no lead cores in them.

This is the kind of aggravation you don't need when you're first setting up a press. The bullets in question are Sierra 55 gr. #1455, a polymer tip boat tail. Fancy bullet, yes. But factory seconds from Midway that were supposedly "cosmetic blems." However, there is nothing cosmetic about a missing lead core. Rate of defect: About 10%. Not sure why by chance I picked these particular bullets to start out on the progressive. I've bought many factory second/cosmetic blem bullets from Midway in the past; never had anything like this before.

Pictures. First, one of my test set-up. Little digital dope scale on the left, vernier caliper nearby. Plastic bullet tub on left side.
Plastic primed case tub on the right. I don't have any stability issues with using clamps to keep the press stationary. I'm not sizing cases; not much leverage is necessary to do the rest of the process.
nnaKUTI.jpg

I've got one of those little LED strip lights rigged on the inside of the front strut of the press, affixed in place with zip ties.
y9c2Wpn.jpg

This is the case I crushed while getting the fancy Hornady sizing die adjusted:
ejv5ruv.jpg

My first finished product on the Dillon 550:
s1ufrfT.jpg

Because of the case lube issue and the trimming sequence issue, I'll probably continue to do my sizing as a separate process. Whatever method I select to do the initial case cleaning, when I size, I use water based lube which I remove with a water rinse, then dry. Then I trim the cases, as necessary.

Last Edited:
long read , I skipped a lot but...there is no reason you can't run one piece ofbrass thru at at time to get the thing adjusted and get the feel for how everything happens. even one at a time you can produce a fully loaded round in about 30 seconds or so.

I've used both my 550 & 650 at times as a 'single stage' press to make various adjustments etc prior to firing up into production mode. And in my years of loading with the Holy Black I made the press-set up alteration using the Dillon accessory made just for that purpose.

I've also read of some who were doing only black powder loading, of adding a second drop measure, to add their version of inert case-fill material, to insure 'full case' as needed for black powder. Just reporting what I've read, not advocating anything.

In the limited rifle case loading in the last decade on my 650, I've been more operationally related to 'single stage' as I haven't bought the rifle-brass automatic dispensing plate for the case feeder, and have to load them single file. Given the very limited amount I take my center fire rifles to the range of late, I don't have need for 'a lot' of reloads for them.

:s0155: looks like you have that dillon under control. Those sierra bullets are not what I would consider blems either. My take on priming, pistol.. size and prime on press, rifle.. size, trim, and prime off press. Everybody finds their own system. Following this thread I'm sure good stuff to come.

If you'd rather use a different powder measure in position #1, you can get an adapter to mount a drop tube for one there. I used a RCBS Uniflow that way. But maybe the powder checker is not really needed since you have a good light source.

I determined that the sizing die that came with the outfit is a Hornady Product, what they call a Custom Grade New Dimension design. Which has a sliding sleeve inside that is supposed to give optimal alignment of the bullet with the case mouth at the time of seating. I thought I had this adjusted properly; when I went to do a final check on it, I telescoped a case a bit but that was the only one I ruined .

~~~~~

This is the case I crushed while getting the fancy Hornady sizing die adjusted:
View attachment 596012

Am I correct in my belief that that Hornady sizing die is a neck sizer only? Are you loading these for a bolt gun only? Of you full length resizing in your case prep stage?

My take on priming, pistol.. size and prime on press, rifle.. size, trim, and prime off press.

This I like. From my limited experience so far, this will work best for me.

If you'd rather use a different powder measure in position #1, you can get an adapter to mount a drop tube for one there.

I'll file this information away for future reference. I'll file it away under the category, "Stuff you won't find in the Dillon manual."

But maybe the powder checker is not really needed since you have a good light source.

I'm discovering this to be true.

Am I correct in my belief that that Hornady sizing die is a neck sizer only? Are you loading these for a bolt gun only? Of you full length resizing in your case prep stage?

I made an error in that sentence. That should read, "seating die" vice "sizing die." In loading .223, I'm not sizing on the press. As to your question, I've never used a Hornady Custom Grade New Dimension die set, so I don't know if it comes full length sizing die or just neck sizing. My apologies for the confusion.

I'll file this information away for future reference. I'll file it away under the category, "Stuff you won't find in the Dillon manual."

I'm fairly sure you'll run across it in the Dillon paper catalog mailer. It's been awhile so not totally sure.

Have fun with your Dillon!!!

Powder Measure Adapter: P43-20029, $24.95
requires the use of an RL450 powder die:

RL450 Powder Die: P43-20308, $23.95

Pg 43 of the latest Dillon Blue Press mailing (lots of good stuff besides reloading gear/parts). To order the Blue Press catalog: 800-762-3844 or the catalog request tab on the home page of dillonprecision.com

:)

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads