JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I got a Benjamin 392 a couple months back, which has been super fun to shoot (targets only so far).

One modification I've been thinking about is adding a little more padding between the pump arm and the air reservoir. When I'm pumping it up, it makes a loud *clack* each the wooden pump arm slams to rest against the metal reservoir. The gun comes with a small rubber bumper in that spot, but the padding could possibly be improved, without interfering with the pumping action.

The noise isn't so bad in a target shooting environment, but for small game hunting it would seem to really screw up your chances of ever getting a second shot in (rare as that might be, anyways).

So... anybody done a mod like that to their multi-pump air rifle?

Cut a piece of bicycle inner tube and slide over the barrel. A 10-speed tube will likely work best, or a wide rubber band like what's used on vegetables?

I've taken very thin neoprene (wetsuit type material) and cut it in a long thin strip. Applied contact cement and let dry.
No more clack clack clack sound !

Ah, that might work even better!

Today I tried some adding some inner tube/ranger bands around the pump arm, and while that dulled the tone of the *clack* a bit, it still made a pretty loud *thunk*.

Now I'm wondering what I have that's close to neoprene that I could try. Maybe an old mouse pad or something...

Question: Did you cement the neoprene to the pump arm, or to the barrel/air reservoir? Given that there's an open metal track cut into the arm, I'm guessing the barrel would provide a more even surface for the cement?

I put it in thin strips on the barrel itself. But not to far forward as if it's to close to the hinge the pump arm wouldn't close all the way. I had looked around at goodwill for old wetsuits..... Never dawned on me to use one of the 15 old mouse pads I have in the computer junk drawer lol :eek: I see I have several that are really thin that will work great! :)

Well, it turns out I didn't have any mouse pads left around! But a trip to Goodwill turned up a neoprene tablet/Kindle case.

I cut a strip about 1/4" x 5 1/2" long, and glued it to the barrel with Duco cement. Here's a photo for demonstration purposes (the red side of the neoprene is showing only to make it easier to see – when I glued it, I put the black side facing out):

Photo Aug 15, 4 03 01 PM.jpg

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top