JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
When cocking the barrel your pushing down a piston on a spring that locks on a trigger catch. When the piston is released it flies forward using the resistance of the pellet as a cushion. Never dry fire a springer ! Find the pellet weight it likes for the smoothest shot cycle and accuracy.

No. The scope needs to be airgun rated.

With gas piston airguns I thought there was no spring involved, just gas pressure in the piston?

Why does the scope need to be airgun related? I have an old scope from a hunting rifle, figure if the scope can handle the recoil of a deer round why not an airgun?

With gas piston airguns I thought there was no spring involved, just gas pressure in the piston?

Why does the scope need to be airgun related? I have an old scope from a hunting rifle, figure if the scope can handle the recoil of a deer round why not an airgun?

From the article. As difficult as it is to believe, one of the quickest ways to destroy your $800 riflescope, is to mount it on break barrel pellet gun and do some plinking in your backyard. That scope that you have been using on your .30/06 or AR platform will, likely, be in pieces before you can get even a couple hundred shots through it. While the shooter feels next to no recoil when shooting an airgun when compared to the rifles mentioned, the physics at work on the optic are completely different, with that of the airgun being far more devastating than that of traditional powder burning firearms.

Gas piston airguns are as hard on equipment as spring piston airguns. Sometimes worse.

In a gas piston break barrel , the gas, like nitrogen replaces the spring. So you compress gas vs a spring.

spring-piston-vs-gas-piston-air-rifle.jpg

From the article.

That is a very fascinating article, and makes sense. I find it interesting that a well made airgun scope is stronger than the best firearm scopes.

So I wont use my old spare scope lying around, and so begins my quest for a new proper airgun scope that will last.

Glad Ive got you guys to guide me here... fun stuff.

That is a very fascinating article, and makes sense. I find it interesting that a well made airgun scope is stronger than the best firearm scopes.

So I wont use my old spare scope lying around, and so begins my quest for a new proper airgun scope that will last.

Glad Ive got you guys to guide me here... fun stuff.

Surprising many UTG scopes are airgun rated. Not the best glass and heavy. I would look at Hawke.

I do have a UTG scope on PCP airgun. Its worked good enough and has a lit reticle. But the Hawke has better glass and finer crosshairs.

I think I've read that your typical rifle scope is designed to absorb the recoil that forces the rifle back toward your body. The problem with the spring or piston type airgun, is that the majority of the recoil is directed away from your body when the spring slams forward and it is putting stress on parts in a way they weren't designed to deal with.

The hard part is these scopes arent advertized as airgun rated, so how does one truly know what to buy with confidence?

I'd read the reviews on airgun sellers' sites (more so than amazon at least). Also, the airgun sites are in that business and are probably interested in having happy customers and part of that is selecting decent equipment.

You've already been to Airgun Depot, Pyramid Air is another place. They've listed their top sellers for 2019:

I'd read the reviews on airgun sellers' sites (more so than amazon at least). Also, the airgun sites are in that business and are probably interested in having happy customers and part of that is selecting decent equipment.

You've already been to Airgun Depot, Pyramid Air is another place. They've listed their top sellers for 2019:
Im new to airguns so those links are super helpful. Ive only been to pyramidair but will look for other dedicated airgun sites.

The top seller on the pyramid link is a Centerpoint scope, Same brand as what I have.... I have a low confidence I could trust that review.

The hard part is these scopes arent advertized as airgun rated, so how does one truly know what to buy with confidence?

That's true. But several airgun sights sell them and have user reviews. Hawke does sell the Airmax line as well that's rated for airguns. But enough people were using the Vantage line that I gave it a try. 1500 rounds or so later it's doing fine for me.

UTG also has many cheaper scopes rated for airgun use. Search UTG Airgun scope on Amazon. Many options.

That's true. But several airgun sights sell them and have user reviews. Hawke does sell the Airmax line as well that's rated for airguns. But enough people were using the Vantage line that I gave it a try. 1500 rounds or so later it's doing fine for me.

UTG also has many cheaper scopes rated for airgun use. Search UTG Airgun scope on Amazon. Many options.

Thanks for the tips. I'll have to do some looking... not excatly in a hurry but was having fun taking rats from across the yard and that will be on hold for a while now.

Im new to airguns so those links are super helpful. Ive only been to pyramidair but will look for other dedicated airgun sites.

The top seller on the pyramid link is a Centerpoint scope, Same brand as what I have.... I have a low confidence I could trust that review.

Top seller isn't exactly the same as top rated. I looked at the reviews on the #1 budget Centerpoint, and they would have steered me to something else right away. 18 people rated it 4 or 5 stars, 10 people rated it 3 or lower. When I look at reviews I presume most are posted before the user really has experience with the item, so if 5 out of 9 people -- close enough to 50% of users -- have bad experiences practically out of the box, I move on.

For the ones with good reviews, I try to see if that holds up across as many sites as possible.

So for example, #2 on the budget list: UTG Leapers UTG 3-9x40 AO True Hunter Rifle Scope, EZ-TAP, Illuminated Mil-Dot Reticle, 1/4 MOA, 1" Tube, See-Thru Weaver Rings. Variable magnification.

pyramid: 4-5 stars: 84 and 1-3 stars:4
airgunDepot: 4-5 stars:11 and 1-3 stars:0
amazon: 257 ratings, 80% 4-5 stars, 20% 3 or less stars (also $30 cheaper (*) )
optics planet: 4-5 stars:11 and 1-3 stars:2

The vast majority of people are having a good experience with this scope and so it is one I'd consider looking at more by watching youtube vids if available, and looking for reviews, forum posts whatever, always being mindful to try to separate honest info from shills. Now I don't personally own that scope so I'm not suggesting it, but if I was in your shoes, this is how I'd be looking at replacements.

(*) Amazon.com : UTG 3-9X40 1" Hunter Scope, AO, 36-color Mil-dot, w/ Rings : Rifle Scopes : Sports & Outdoors

Thanks for the tips. I'll have to do some looking... not excatly in a hurry but was having fun taking rats from across the yard and that will be on hold for a while now.

I took a tree rat yesterday with open sights at about 20 yards with the hw30. It has nice metal sights with front globe inserts, 6 different options. The rear sight has 4 different notch options. Just pull it back and rotate it. Why other firearms dont have these options is beyond me.

Open sights are fun for me if they are decent. Most all HWs use these sights.

weihrauch-hw30s-177-cal-39.jpg PY-A-3543_Weihrauch-Complete-Inserts_HW-9398_front-sight_lg.jpg

Open sights are fun for me if they are decent.

I played with the open sights when I first got it but mine are all plastic and terribly unstable. I held good tight groups though from prone as long as I didnt bump, touch or even breathe on the rear sight.

Id like to see if I could possibly upgrade them... though Id prefer to upgrade the trigger first and plan on using a scope, but yeah.. open sights are fun.

I use this mount on my springer with a scope. Recomend torque is 15 in/lbs for the top halfs and 30 in/lbs for the base screws. If my memory is working. And some Break barrels have blind holes in the reciever for the mount stop pin.

Second choice.

Edit to change ft/lbs to in/lbs so no one ruins their mount.

Last Edited:
breathing some life back into this thread, decided before buying to confirm the scope is toast and set up the range to see what group I could hold, within 2 shots something internal broke and obstructed the view, things rattle around inside now. The scope is dead.

so Im ready to buy, looking in the $100 range give or take. The main requirement is airrifle rated. Would prefer a variable power with an illuminated reticle, bonus points if it comes with picatinny rings.

Ive reviewed a few links in this thread and interested in the UTG 3-9X40 1" Hunter Scope but continuing to look around.

Feel free to link your recommendation.

I have the UTG 30mm, 3-12x Swat model that is TS rated. I dont think they are always listed as airgun scopes but are rated for airguns.

I have a good lightweight 4x scope on my hunting springer.

From Leapers website.

TRUE STRENGTH PLATFORM BEATS RECOIL.
The Leapers team is well aware of the need of airgunners and keeps them in mind when designing UTG scopes.

This means that all Leapers UTG scopes are able to withstand the punishing forward recoil generated by high power spring/piston and gas ram air rifles, as well as conventional rear recoil. This "True Strength" platform ensures that UTG scopes are able to give a long and successful life in use on air rifles of all types.

Leapers UTG scopes also combat recoil through advanced design of the elevation and windage turrets. The UTG leaf spring system uses a special Beryllium Bronze alloy with optimized heat treatment to maintain reliable and consistent tension for long term use. This gives accuracy benefits to the owner in long-term zero holding.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top