JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was thinking of getting a .22 caliber Benjamin Marauder but they don't seem to have iron sights. I googled around and it sounds like you might be able to clamp something on the back, but you'd have to make something for the front...I was surprised. Is there an option?

As I write this, I realize I could use some more generic advice. I'm not in love with the Benjamin Marauder -- I was mostly looking at it because it seems quiet. So, with that in mind, is there a better option for something that is PCP (because quiet), .22, has iron sights but the ability to mount a scope, and is good quality? I don't have a hard budget, so I'm open to suggestions, but there seems like a lot of options around $500 which I was looking at (also looking at the hand pumps and such).

I own other firearms but have never owned an air rifle so any advice you have is welcome. Thanks!

I have had a Benjamin Maurader for about 10 years now and love mine. I was like you, at first. Why put a scope on an air rifle? I did (cheap UTG) and it's my most consistent shooting lead launcher. I have several other lead launcher's, but this is my favorite and has certainly killed more animals. At 40 yards, I can stack pellets on anything I shoot. I consistently make head shots on birds and rodents. I loaned it to a friend who took out a bobcat. Another friend lives in a subdivision in Marin County and was so inspired that he got one. He shoots in his backyard without anyone knowing (the rapport of the round hitting your target is likely more noise than the shot itself). His only complaint is that at his 30 yard range, it's boring to hit primers from bullet casings.

I am wanting to play with some of the modifications I see other people doing to them (probably going to mess up a good thing). I've had my rifle taken apart for a few weeks now and will likely put it back together without finishing the job just so I can go shoot.

It bugs me that many airgun manufacturers don't include iron sights. Thankfully, some do. How about the Benjamin Discovery? It actually has iron sights (well, fiber optic) and can also accept a scope. .22 cal with a hand pump is $419.99 on Pyramydair:

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Benjamin_Discovery_Rifle_Pump/1534/2804

Discovery_1534_zm-1.jpg

I forgot about the Discovery. Another friend was inspired by my Maurader and ended up going with the Discovery because it weighed less. It was considerably louder but he made or bought a sound suppressor for it which has it at an approximately equal level. Trigger isn't nearly as good but maybe it could be tuned or replaced.

Thanks for the replies. I looked at the Discovery but shied away due to the increased noise (and I'm too nervous about the legal grey area to try to make a suppressor).

I'm still leaning towards the marauder with a scope, like you did rbrower, although I might play with a 3d printer to try to get some sights on it.

If iron sights aren't a deal breaker, check out the maurader pistol. Feather light! I've got one and love it! Has a built in shroud for a nice neighborhood friendly report, came with a carbine stock and a decent red dot. The 2-stage fully adjustable trigger is very nice! Keep an eye out for the realtree ones. I was lucky enough to get the woods walker edition at a great price too. Perfect for dispatching annoying squirrels while in a tree stand bow hunting. (Don't tell me I'm the only one to attempt to drop squirrels while bow hunting?)

image.jpeg [/QUOTE]
(Photo credit goes to crossman.com)

Last Edited:
If iron sights aren't a deal breaker, check out the maurader pistol. Feather light! I've got one and love it! Has a built in shroud for a nice neighborhood friendly report, came with a carbine stock and a decent red dot. The 2-stage fully adjustable trigger is very nice! Keep an eye out for the realtree ones. I was lucky enough to get the woods walker edition at a great price too. Perfect for dispatching annoying squirrels while in a tree stand bow hunting. (Don't tell me I'm the only one to attempt to drop squirrels while bow hunting?)

View attachment 283054
(Photo credit goes to crossman.com)[/QUOTE]
You're not.:s0007:

I was thinking of getting a .22 caliber Benjamin Marauder but they don't seem to have iron sights. I googled around and it sounds like you might be able to clamp something on the back, but you'd have to make something for the front...I was surprised. Is there an option?

As I write this, I realize I could use some more generic advice. I'm not in love with the Benjamin Marauder -- I was mostly looking at it because it seems quiet. So, with that in mind, is there a better option for something that is PCP (because quiet), .22, has iron sights but the ability to mount a scope, and is good quality? I don't have a hard budget, so I'm open to suggestions, but there seems like a lot of options around $500 which I was looking at (also looking at the hand pumps and such).

I own other firearms but have never owned an air rifle so any advice you have is welcome. Thanks!

If u want quiet just stick a tko lead dust collector onto a marauder pistol or marauder or onto any co2 gun. my Crosman custom shop .177 with tko can't be heard from about 10 feet away it's so quiet. My marauder pistol with tko can barely be heard from about 30' away. Very very quiet. Discovery is another common one u can get inexpensiveky and add a tko to make very quiet.

Also don't don't don't buy the Benjamin hand pump. Expensive and unreliable in my experience. The off brand one costs $67 at Walmart and is much better built imo and mine takes much fewer pumps to fill vs Benjamin pump.

Nice thing about the air guns, is that the air is always free! Pellets are relatively cheap and easy to stock up on. Plus, lots of cool options of pellets these days. Like muzzle loaders, air guns often are under appreciated. I like the Benjamin line. My brother is into Gamo. It's amazing that you can even find .45 cal air guns. No limits with them anymore. Keep the good posts up!

Airforce makes fiber optic open sights for their rifles. They are lightweight and work very well! The Airforce line isn't the quietest PCP option out of the box, but with some shroud work, they can be very quiet.

Shameless plug, I have a .25 Talon SS with the iron sights and a ton of upgrades for sale still. It's every bit as quiet as the .22 Marauder I'm also selling!

Bring this up top.
The reviews on the Umarex gauntlet are pretty impressive (lots of them)
Article on the .25 cal. In some online air gun nation OR? Dispatches small game with authority.
Edit: It was in Hard Air Magazine online. Search Umarex Gauntlet .25

I have had a Benjamin Maurader for about 10 years now and love mine. I was like you, at first. Why put a scope on an air rifle? I did (cheap UTG) and it's my most consistent shooting lead launcher. I have several other lead launcher's, but this is my favorite and has certainly killed more animals. At 40 yards, I can stack pellets on anything I shoot. I consistently make head shots on birds and rodents. I loaned it to a friend who took out a bobcat. Another friend lives in a subdivision in Marin County and was so inspired that he got one. He shoots in his backyard without anyone knowing (the rapport of the round hitting your target is likely more noise than the shot itself). His only complaint is that at his 30 yard range, it's boring to hit primers from bullet casings.

I am wanting to play with some of the modifications I see other people doing to them (probably going to mess up a good thing). I've had my rifle taken apart for a few weeks now and will likely put it back together without finishing the job just so I can go shoot.
How about a reflex red or green dot sight. Many are quite inexpensive now. A dot will get you on target instantly and be visible in low light.
I shoot rats with a scoped accurized FWB 127. The rats are mostly around at night. I thought about getting an night vision scope, but really, I can make headshots easily up to 50 yards. No need for expensive gear. Your prowess with iron sights is quite impressive (no kidding!).

Norm

I've been eyeing the beeman qb chief. Retails for $200. Haven't got a chance to handle it yet but I've got a modded qb78 I like alot. I run it on co2 or hpa either on a remote line or bulk fill. On bulk fill Co2 I get about 20 shots, and with the stock tube I get 5 decent shots on hpa.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top