JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
After using my infrared scope a couple nights, I'm convinced that the cheaper dealie that attaches to a scope and displays on a screen linked up thread would be better. My scope comes with an app that will let you see what the scope sees on a phone and I think I'm going to design and print a mount for that.
Would love to see the setup you come up with. Not certain I want to invest anymore than I have but sometimes the temptation overcomes me for the fun of it.

@MrMillspecer I actually hadnt thought of that, I see there a some cheap options for that on Amazon. But I just checked and dont have enough room on my scope body to clamp one. Would have made a much cleaner looking mount that what I came up with.

They make scope mounts with a picatinny rail on them. That might free up some room.

barska-firearm-components-maintenance-ai11484-64_1000.jpg

Was just looking at that one on Amazon, the part that attaches to the scope would have to be no more than .500" wide max... the only space left to use.

The ones above would just replace your 3/8" mounts. And give you a place for a light with a rail attachment. They make risers also if you need more height.

The ones above would just replace your 3/8" mounts. And give you a place for a light with a rail attachment. They make risers also if you need more height.

Im not certain if you edited your post, those are different than the one I looked up on Amazon. Those would work better true, Id have to put it in front of the top turret cap though which is pretty tall for an airgun scope but it would work. The main thing Ive discovered though is if I want to use a light Id have to buy a dedicated one with a remote switch that I could put on the forearm. Otherwise you have to leave on the light the whole time wasting batteries and lighting up the yard constantly.

Im not certain if you edited your post, those are different than the one I looked up on Amazon. Those would work better true, Id have to put it in front of the top turret cap though which is pretty tall for an airgun scope but it would work. The main thing Ive discovered though is if I want to use a light Id have to buy a dedicated one with a remote switch that I could put on the forearm. Otherwise you have to leave on the light the whole time wasting batteries and lighting up the yard constantly.

Yes I did edit my post when I realized I attached the wrong picture. Sorry about that. The UTG light did come with a pressure switch and is rail ready. Nothing of great quality and heavy but it works.

Try these guys. Hawke | Mounts they sell mounts and top halfs with rails.

So I have some bad news. I think the Centerpoint brand scope that came with the rifle is gone bad. Ive been holding "tight" groups for the year Ive owned this rifle but the last week Ive seen the group open way up. I just spent an hour shooting prone and got mixed results with a tight group and then a larger spread out group and some fliers. Ive also noticed that the image is often blurry even when I set the parallax exactly to the distance I'm shooting. I will adjust it to be clear and I know for a fact its not the right setting, take a shot and instantly the image is blurry again.... so I will set it back to what it was and the image is fine. Then go for another shot and the image is blurry, tapped the scope and the image is fine again. Mounts are solid and tight.
Any advice here is welcome?

My shots have opened up much larger than the 1" group Ive been holding for a year now, much larger than the size of a rat. The iron sights are crap I don't trust them... so it looks like I'm on hold until I find an air rifle scope. The issue is... its an air rifle, how much am I supposed to spend on a scope that will last?
Recommendations?

So I have some bad news. I think the Centerpoint brand scope that came with the rifle is gone bad. Ive been holding "tight" groups for the year Ive owned this rifle but the last week Ive seen the group open way up. I just spent an hour shooting prone and got mixed results with a tight group and then a larger spread out group and some fliers. Ive also noticed that the image is often blurry even when I set the parallax exactly to the distance I'm shooting. I will adjust it to be clear and I know for a fact its not the right setting, take a shot and instantly the image is blurry again.... so I will set it back to what it was and the image is fine. Then go for another shot and the image is blurry, tapped the scope and the image is fine again. Mounts are solid and tight.
Any advice here is welcome?

My shots have opened up much larger than the 1" group Ive been holding for a year now, much larger than the size of a rat. The iron sights are crap I don't trust them... so it looks like I'm on hold until I find an air rifle scope. The issue is... its an air rifle, how much am I supposed to spend on a scope that will last?
Recommendations?

Man that sucks. Any chance it's still under warranty? Probably just 90 days or something. I looked at the scopes rated for spring type airguns (*) on airgun depot -- they have a CenterPoint with an illuminated reticle, 3-9x for $60, though after having one go bad, you might not want to try again. To get something with 2x in its range, it's $110 minimum, though it does get good reviews with one person saying it can focus down to 4.5 ft. I haven't used any of these so I can't say they're good or bad.

(*) You probably already know and I don't want to sound condescending, but my understanding is that the spring type airguns will destroy regular rifle scopes fast, so just in case I'm mentioning it.

Man that sucks. Any chance it's still under warranty?
It has a 1 year warranty but I bought this package 1 year and 1 month ago...
Honestly I'm not surprised. Its a $200 package including a 3x9 scope with AO parallax.... huge scope for an airgun. Im guessing the scope isnt the highest quality. Considering all that a variable objective scope does, for the money Im not surprised I'm having issues. Also, Im reading now on pyramid air that airguns are really hard on scopes... not certain why. My rifles a piston driven design as well.

Bookmarking the links here but might try an old spare (real) 3x9 hunting scope I have lying around.

Honestly I'm not surprised. Its a $200 package including a 3x9 scope with AO parallax.... huge scope for an airgun. Im guessing the scope isnt the highest quality. Considering all that a variable objective scope does, for the money Im not surprised I'm having issues. Also, Im reading now on pyramid air that airguns are really hard on scopes... not certain why. My rifles a piston driven design as well.

Bookmarking the links here but might try an old spare (real) 3x9 hunting scope I have lying around.

Spring piston air rifles have recoil in both directions as the piston goes through its cycle. Most rifle scopes are not built to handle the opposite recoil. They also shake loose scope mounts and loosten stock bolts. A Wheeler torque wrench has been my new best friend for scope mounts and stock screws.

The spring/piston type apparently have a double recoil, backwards and forwards. One reason I got a PCP airgun is because -- at least according to forums on the internet for what that's worth -- they don't have that type of recoil and you can use any sort of scope.

Im not certain how piston driven airguns work so its hard to visualize. My guess is there is a big spring pushing the air piston forward driving the pellet, which in turn resists and produces recoil pushing the rifle backwards. However it works, its hard for me to imagine an air rifle having enough recoil to be hard on scopes, even cheap scopes.

Makes me wonder if a 22cal scope would be ideal for air rifles....

Im not certain how piston driven airguns work so its hard to visualize. My guess is there is a big spring pushing the air piston forward driving the pellet, which in turn resists and produces recoil pushing the rifle backwards. However it works, its hard for me to imagine an air rifle having enough recoil to be hard on scopes, even cheap scopes.

I think I'd stick to scopes suggested by places like airgun depot or optics planet for spring piston air rifles.

There's an animation of the "nitro piston" your rifle has - it does look like there is quite a bit of mass moving forward before the shot:

When cocking the barrel your pushing down a piston on a spring that locks on a trigger catch. When the piston is released it flies forward using the resistance of the pellet as a cushion. Never dry fire a springer ! Find the pellet weight it likes for the smoothest shot cycle and accuracy.

No. The scope needs to be airgun rated.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top