JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking for a fixed magnification, illuminated scope like the ACOG, but I don't want a Trijicon. I know of the Elcan Spectre and the Leupold HAMR, are there any other sights of this type I should know about? Price is not a factor for this discussion.

In optics you get what you pay for, sometimes you get less than what you paid for with the Chinese junk that's imported. Stay with an established brand in the upper price range and a lifetime guarentee

In optics you get what you pay for, sometimes you get less than what you paid for with the Chinese junk that's imported. Stay with an established brand in the upper price range and a lifetime guarentee

True up to a point about buy once cry once. For instance, I decided to try a 100 dollar scope for a cheapo plastic Stevens 223 I inherited and I put on a Mueller 4.5x14x40mm AO on it because of the raving reviews from rimfire central forums. I shot that rifle for probably close to 1000 rounds before I sold it (didn't like the way the stevens feeds) but I sure miss that scope. Since then I bought a Mueller multi shot for my sons Ruger 270 to replace an old failing Tasco he had used for years and he simply loves that scope. Muellers have amazing glass and holds up well to the elements as my son is none to gentle with his all weather 270 and the prices makes you think that maybe you are getting some cheap Tasco but believe me check out a Mueller before you make any plunges into optics. If there is anything wrong with them. send them in and they replace them no questions asked. Great CS. Check out their full lineup here:
http://muelleroptics.com/

Last Edited:
I spent 2 years searching for a tactical 50mm LR scope, I bought a known brand at a good price, it was Chinese made and I returned it when the plastic erector failed, I had to pay to ship it back but got a new one via UPS, it arrived w/ a broken erector, I paid to ship it back, the replacement arrived w/a broken erector. Of course I had to mount the scope and fire my ammo through it each time so this got expensive fast. I demanded a pre-paid mailing label and extra padding, got a scope that was undamaged. I sold it at a lose and bought a Leupold VX II CDS, I also have a Leupold Firefly VX II, both great scopes and no failures to date

I agree about the Chinese junk. My 223 just killed a Weaver k6.. I guess it didn't like full auto from my bumpfire stock? Wouldn't hold zero, I sent it back but they say nothing is wrong with it, got it back still wont hold zero.. 150 bucks later and there it sits on the shelf. Maybe put it on a 22 or something?

I agree about the Chinese junk. My 223 just killed a Weaver k6.. I guess it didn't like full auto from my bumpfire stock? Wouldn't hold zero, I sent it back but they say nothing is wrong with it, got it back still wont hold zero.. 150 bucks later and there it sits on the shelf. Maybe put it on a 22 or something?
at least w/a 22 the ammo cost will be less when you discover that it's still sh*t

at least w/a 22 the ammo cost will be less when you discover that it's still sh*t
glad I reload as I went through about 90 rounds before I finally decided it was undoubtedly the scope. Took it off, put in on tried other sights, etc. What is weird is it will shoot 2 rounds into damn near one hole and then it will start stringing them all over the target. I thought maybe my reloads were off, the necks too long. the charges off so i tried some factory rounds and same thing. Put on a cheap 8 point 3x9 and shot 5 into damn near the same hole at 50 yards.. Put the weaver back on and 2 goes straight and then it takes off for the barn.. Sent it in, got it back they said I had the rings too close to the bell and I am like "are you kidding me"? it is on a detachable one piece system. So I put it on some new rings, leveled it again, went back out again, and it shot like sh!t.. again.

I can shoot tighter groups with the factory open sights, which btw is all I am using with the bumpfire stock.. don't want to wreck anything else as it gets pretty wild. Took the wife out and showed it to her and dumped 30 rounds real quick and she was like.. "good GAWD! That is crazy". On a final note, atk acquired Savage rifles and Weaver optics and the noise across the net is the cs and quality and Q control has slipped on both.

Last Edited:
glad I reload as I went through about 90 rounds before I finally decided it was undoubtedly the scope. Took it off, put in on tried other sights, etc. What is weird is it will shoot 2 rounds into damn near one hole and then it will start stringing them all over the target. I thought maybe my reloads were off, the necks too long. the charges off so i tried some factory rounds and same thing. Put on a cheap 8 point 3x9 and shot 5 into damn near the same hole at 50 yards.. Put the weaver back on and 2 goes straight and then it takes off for the barn.. Sent it in, got it back they said I had the rings too close to the bell and I am like "are you kidding me"? it is on a detachable one piece system. So I put it on some new rings, leveled it again, went back out again, and it shot like sh!t.. again.

You described perfectly what happened to my cheap scopes.
The erector 'spring' is a flat piece of poly-wassit that is glued to the reticle. when the glue fails the reticle pops loose and wanders around the mechanism, sometimes it ends up back where it belongs for a few shots and then starts wandering again

I have a 4X ACOG, I had a borrowed ELCAN for a short while and I have a Leupold HAMR with a Deltapoint.

I really like the Leupold set up, If I was dumping $2K though I would spring for the Elcan DR. the 1 x 4 is really sweet and fast and you can just see everything through it, I do prefer the HAMR to the ACOG though but my ACOG is one of the fiber optic 4x32's Not a real spendy one.

Leupold D-EVO. goes with any Red dot.

It takes a little bit of getting use to from the low ready, but once you get that muscle memory down it's incredibly fast. You can actually see both your red dot and the 6x at the same time. It's a very quick and slick optic.

Leupold D-EVO. goes with any Red dot.

It takes a little bit of getting use to from the low ready, but once you get that muscle memory down it's incredibly fast. You can actually see both your red dot and the 6x at the same time. It's a very quick and slick optic.

That is pretty sweet... BUT! 2000 bux worth of sweet?
A R G H! Somehow I can blast coyotes with a bit less.. and that guy should have opened up on the critter when it was flopping around.. or used a 308 and then you only have to shoot them once. He hit it a bit far to the rear. After watching it again, it seems the dot on the lower portion is a bit too high in the glass causing the target to near be off the top of the picture. I would think they should have put the reticle lower..

Last Edited:
That is pretty sweet... BUT! 2000 bux worth of sweet?
A R G H! Somehow I can blast coyotes with a bit less.. and that guy should have opened up on the critter when it was flopping around.. or used a 308 and then you only have to shoot them once. He hit it a bit far to the rear. After watching it again, it seems the dot on the lower portion is a bit too high in the glass causing the target to near be off the top of the picture. I would think they should have put the reticle lower..

The OP did say Price is not a factor in this discussion! :)

And i believe the $2000 is for the D-EVO and LCO combo. You can purchase the D-EVO for $1500 and use it with any red dot optic. That is one of the great things about the D-EVO, its not red dot specific so you can use an Eo-TECH, delta-point, Aimpoint, LCO, C-more, etc.

The OP did say Price is not a factor in this discussion! :)

And i believe the $2000 is for the D-EVO and LCO combo. You can purchase the D-EVO for $1500 and use it with any red dot optic. That is one of the great things about the D-EVO, its not red dot specific so you can use an Eo-TECH, delta-point, Aimpoint, LCO, C-more, etc.

Truthfully I think the thing is ugly:

LEU_DEVO_Angle_front-530x320.png

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews