JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I didn't know where to stick this, doubt it needs its own thread tho.

A. Unintentional Discharge:
The definitions for an Unintentional Discharge, both Accidental and Negligent, are as follows:
Accidental Discharge: The unintentional discharge of a firearm as a result of an accident such as a firearm malfunction or other mechanical failure, not the result of operator error.

Negligent Discharge: Finding where it was determined that the unintentional discharge of a firearm resulted from operator error, such as the violation of firearm safety rules.

LAPD Board of Police Commissioners

Marty Hayes, President of the Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network. https://armedcitizensnetwork.org/
He commented that the circumstances of most Unintentional Discharges do not fit the legal definition of 'Negligent.'
The possibility exists that a 'Negligent' Discharge might have to be defined in the context of Intentional but Undesirable Discharges (resulting in a Negative Outcome) rather than Unintentional Discharges.

-- --

Unplanned - where you end up shooting the berm or deck rather than your target.
" Given the number of unplanned impacts at ranges alone, ... it's likely that Unplanned Discharges occur thousands of times daily throughout the US. However, almost all of those cause only property damage or no damage at all. So, while we can probably safely say that Unplanned Discharges are relatively common, Unplanned Shootings are relatively rare. "

Last Edited:
True "Accidental" discharge is VERY rare indeed. The term is used by people standing there with a red face and a just fired gun in hand. Almost every time what it really means is the person with the red face pulled the trigger on a loaded firearm. The firearm did what it was made to do, it fired.

If you want to get technical, from a grammatical perspective, a negligent discharge is a type of accidental discharge. Just because it was negligent doesn't mean it wasn't also accidental. Most traffic accidents are caused by negligence too. They're still accidents.

Conversely, just because something was an "accident" doesn't absolve one of the guilt of negligence.

The term is used by people standing there with a red face and a just fired gun in hand.
True, it reminds me of a kid who whopped his little brother with a toy and hurt him, because they got carried away with reckless horseplay. "But it was an accident! It was an accident!" :oops:

If the rules of gun safety are followed 100% of the time an AD could only occur when the muzzle is pointed at or near the target. It's really a perfect safety system that can only fail if the discipline of the human component does.
Or more directly, keep yer booger hooks out of the trigger guard, right?
I also would have to disagree with the LAPD definition of an AD. A perfectly functioning weapon can definitely be involved. My Dad has an affinity for tuning 1911 triggers to have almost zero take up and a barely 3 lb break. I, on the other hand, am happier with a slight pre-travel and a 4 lb pull. Totally used to that feel.
Before the boating accident, I used to love shooting an old Remington Rand Dad had tuned (actually Mom confiscated it from me quite a few years back when she took a liking to it, but that's another story). It was from 1943 ish, and I swear that pull was like 2 lb 12 oz after he slicked it up. Almost every time I would shoot that gun I would draw for the first string, get on target, prep the trigger and hear the plate ding before I even realized the slide was cycling! Definitely an AD, but not an unsafe ND IMO.
And no, I don't think a sub 3 lb trigger is unsafe. But I am sure breaking safety rules would be.

@AlecBaldwin

What? Too soon?

rEyDaIT.jpg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show