JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have one lonely jug of AA1680 laying around and have been looking at a way to use it, I got it in a trade with some other powders but figured i could come up with something i could use it in. I tried it in .223 with a 40gr vmax and it short cycled. I would try using it in 6.8spc, but i already have a really good load using h4198. I noticed that AA1680 is listed for 7.62x39mm so I figured it was worth investigating in the .30-30. Problem is, i can't find any listed load for the .30-30 using AA1680. I am using a plated 150gr flat point bullet that i pulled from some .308 "economy remanufactured" ammo I got at a gunshow a few years ago. I believe the bullets may be Berry's, but don't really know. Anyway, i started yesterday with a 21.3gr load (Accurate's load in 7.62 using 150gr pills is 20.3 to 22.5), and it seemed ok, primers were round, recoil was light. Today, I loaded up a handful with 23gr and tried them out. The primers appear a little rounder than the factory ammo i fired along side it. recoil was still lighter than factory 150gr so i feel i am in a good spot. I was wanting to bump up another .5-1gr but think i may just stay put. They seem like a fun load and i got to do a little experimentation. Anyone tried anything like this? I can't believe that there isn't any data out there for this combo, seems like a good place to head for cast bullet guys.

I haven't used AA1680.
The 2003 Accurate reloading manual describes it as:
"> 1680 An extremely fast burning, double base, ball-type rifle powder that is Accurate's fastest rifle powder. This powder suits some large capacity handgun cartridges like .50 Action Express, as well as low capacity rifle calibers such as the 7.62mmx39 and .22 Hornet. This powder is also well suited for light bullets in .222 Rem and .223 Rem and for intermediate type straight-walled calibers like the .449LW and .444 Marlin etc<".

Accurate (Western) Powder Reloading book can be downloaded here.
30-30 loads are listed on page 47. AA1680 is not listed for the 30-30.

Accurate (Western) Powder Reloading book can be downloaded here.
30-30 loads are listed on page 47. AA1680 is not listed for the 30-30.

That's where I got the data for 7.62x39 that I used as a starting point, since .30-30 is only about .5cc bigger, I figured it would be a safe bet to use the starting load using the same bullet weights. I couldn't find any mention of 1680 being problematic when loaded light like some powders (win748 comes to mind). Even so, I did gt one hangfire with my first load.

I read a couple comments saying 1680 needed high pressures to continue to burn.
My thinking on using it in a 30-30 is don't.
Try to find some WW748, IMR 4064.
You're missing the point, I have the powder and am using it up. If I wanted a good load I would just stuff them with H4895 and be done with it.

Roop
I understand you have the powder and want to use it up.
I think the 3030 case is too big for fast burining powder.
Watch for bullets not exiting the barrel.
The following shot could meet a barrel obstruction.
Copy that, since this is just a plinking load out of an old .30-30, there is little chance of barreling through a squib. Not like the stuff I load for 3gun. If I ever have a squib in a match, I'm probably going to be buying a new barrel.

Roop, great info! 1680 seems to work well in the 35 to 38K PSI levels (see .357 Maximum data for 1680), so should be fine with similar pressure levels in a .30-30. Think I'll try with the Lyman 165gr RN gas check bullet starting with around 21gr of 1680. BTW, the .357 Maximum data indicated the WSP primer; magnum primer not required.

I think the 3030 case is too big for fast burning powder.
Actually it's not.

I am currently loading 9 grains of Unique with 100 - 110 grain bullets with excellent results (and this is a published load).

There are also report of people using Bullseye for mouse fart loads with good results as well (mostly using .30 cal lead shot for bullets)

There are also report of people using Bullseye for mouse fart loads with good results as well (mostly using .30 cal lead shot for bullets)
2.7 go to heaven.

UOUNwl3.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews