JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
AA12-Shotgun.jpg
ammoland

When they announced the run of semi-auto ones, I was tempted to buy. IIRC, they were pricey and I lost interest. Good thing I didn't invest in one, because it looks like they are getting melted down by ATF. :eek:

Proof that the 4473 you fill out is in fact a registration.

How else would they know who to send these letters to?

The dealer is required to maintain the paperwork for a period of no less than 20 years. They run the trace this way. If the gun traded hands via private party in a state prior to needing a dealer to do the transfer then the trail stops there.

The dealer is required to maintain the paperwork for a period of no less than 20 years. They run the trace this way. If the gun traded hands via private party in a state prior to needing a dealer to do the transfer then the trail stops there.

Bingo. ATF follows the transfer trail to the final owner, if they can. Been that way for 50+ years.

Bingo. ATF follows the transfer trail to the final owner, if they can. Been that way for 50+ years.
Effectively the ATF does have a registry in a State like ours.

Edit: transfers between legal relatives can end this tracking process. Especially if a few families are involved in a transfer of a firearm. This could make for some fun family reunions.

Last Edited:
From this, it looks like the manufacturer/importer screwed their customers by being sloppy about the law, in particular the "readily restored" language :

UPDATED ******* ATF updated me today again just after publishing. They stated that their lawyers looked at the receiver and it was identical to the automatic in semi-automatic version, but the decision did not come from the tech branch.

If the receiver was identical to the auto, not in mere markings, but in machining -- that would be a big issue because the conversion to full auto would simply require swapping out the guts.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top