JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The wife is Japanese so we have the standard rice cooker, water boiler, etc. Recently she asked me to pick up an Instant Pot. So I did. Best dang kitchen appliance ever. I got the 8 qt one. The thing is versatile. We wound up chucking the old Crock pot out. Tonight I tossed chicken breast and thighs in it, added some water and soup base and left it alone for 45 minutes. the chicken melts in your mouth. It will make rice, pressure cooked ribs (Amen...), soup, yogurt or even a cake. I like to use it to make soft boiled lava eggs. Toss in a whole chicken or pot roast, season accordingly and it's done in less than an hour. The thing is amazing, especially if you like to cook healthy.

There is a marinade they sell at the Paldo World food mart in Tacoma that is amazing on ribs in an instant pot.

So maybe it's just me, but when we have a shooting in this country the forums become a political and sometimes religious mess. Me being a mod and also an active and outspoken member I tend to sometimes get in the mix.

So this is about my lunch today. I was working at my office and got hungry. I didn't have any food, and I was feeling kinda lazy so I considered lunch options. I have quite a few fast food joints mere minutes away so I fired up their online menus. I ALMOST went with the McDonalds Big Mac meal as I've never had one (@etrain16) but after looking at the nutrition info I bailed. So I stopped at 7-11 to grab a vitamin water instead. Browsing the cases I see their sandwiches (7-11 branded no less) and spot a tuna sandwich. I thought, gee that has to be better than a Big Mac and I happen to like tuna. So I bought it and my vitamin water and went back to the office. It wasn't bad taste wise, and I thought again I made the right choice.

Fast forward a few hours. My belly is actually swollen and bloated. I'm 6'1" and 220. No big boiler, no roll over the belt, but I could lose a few pounds. BUT, I could actually see my belly sticking out and I felt awful.

No problem I thought, I'll go to Noble Woods park and walk it off.......yeah. Right.

I didn't make it more than maybe 100 steps past the restroom and I start to heave. And heave. And then yeah, a fountain of puke emerges from my face as an old man walking his dog approaches. I launch a stream well past the trail edge and I hear him talking but I'm violently expelling my "healthy" lunch and can't make out the words. After about five "fountains" I stop, because the pond is empty. And he's asking me if I'm ok or need a doctor. I instantly felt better and explained the situation. He asked again if I was ok, and we parted ways.

Anyway, just thought I'd share. I think the runs from the Big Mac would have been better. :D
I bet it was the vitamin water that did it HEHEE

I miss all the old food places in Portland. I worked at Yaws for 3 1\2 years and ate almost all meals there(unlimited employee meals at no cost)and never had a problem. Ate a lot at Boc's and Scotties Drive In's. Again no problems. Even pre mid 70's Taco Bell was 10 times better than today, it was made with real food. KFC can't hold a candle to what it was in the late 50's-to late 60's. Today fast food has gone so far downhill I no longer eat it.

487C77FB-42A2-470C-9F97-2A9E20B45FF9.jpeg Tuna from 7-11

So maybe it's just me, but when we have a shooting in this country the forums become a political and sometimes religious mess. Me being a mod and also an active and outspoken member I tend to sometimes get in the mix.

So this is about my lunch today. I was working at my office and got hungry. I didn't have any food, and I was feeling kinda lazy so I considered lunch options. I have quite a few fast food joints mere minutes away so I fired up their online menus. I ALMOST went with the McDonalds Big Mac meal as I've never had one (@etrain16) but after looking at the nutrition info I bailed. So I stopped at 7-11 to grab a vitamin water instead. Browsing the cases I see their sandwiches (7-11 branded no less) and spot a tuna sandwich. I thought, gee that has to be better than a Big Mac and I happen to like tuna. So I bought it and my vitamin water and went back to the office. It wasn't bad taste wise, and I thought again I made the right choice.

Fast forward a few hours. My belly is actually swollen and bloated. I'm 6'1" and 220. No big boiler, no roll over the belt, but I could lose a few pounds. BUT, I could actually see my belly sticking out and I felt awful.

No problem I thought, I'll go to Noble Woods park and walk it off.......yeah. Right.

I didn't make it more than maybe 100 steps past the restroom and I start to heave. And heave. And then yeah, a fountain of puke emerges from my face as an old man walking his dog approaches. I launch a stream well past the trail edge and I hear him talking but I'm violently expelling my "healthy" lunch and can't make out the words. After about five "fountains" I stop, because the pond is empty. And he's asking me if I'm ok or need a doctor. I instantly felt better and explained the situation. He asked again if I was ok, and we parted ways.

Anyway, just thought I'd share. I think the runs from the Big Mac would have been better. :D

I have a general rule against tuna, chicken salad or egg salad from gas stations, convenience stores or vending machines - for the reason you just mentioned.

So sorry you had to go through that, I know your pain. I got serious food poisoning years ago after eating at a Chili's and simply can never go back again for that reason. That one came out both ends, at the same time. It was not a good day :(

I can't remember if you have one over in your neck of the woods, but if you ever hanker for a fast food burger, Carl's Jr does a much better job than McD's.

Thanks for the heads up.
I like a couple of MacD's double cheeseburgers and fries about once a year or so and I eat those dang things for two days. That's why so rarely, but they taste sooo good and the fries are still pretty much the best. :cool:

Speaking of McD's fries. When I worked there, way back in the mid-80's, I was there when McD's caved to pressure to make their fries "healthier" :s0140: by switching from cooking them in beef fat (yes, that's why they tasted SOOOO good back then) to vegetable oil. Now, I usually worked at the grill, cooking, but occasionally worked the front counter and drive thru. Let me tell you, people lost their sh!t when McD's changed the oil. And who did they take it out on? Not McD's corporate, but people like me, making under $4 an hour to listen to them complain about something I had no control over. Taught me a good lesson about patience and how not to punch people in the face that really deserve it ;)

suggestions when it comes to food I don't expel later.

my single most horrid episode of food poisoning involved a tuna sanny bought from a roadside/gas station 'convenience' store; I recognize your symptoms and have managed to avoid such occurrence from repeating by strict avoidance of any temptation regardless. Recovery cost me an extra day in the palatial confines of a ratty motel on the outskirts of Stateline, Nevada. You don't need the details, other than amplify on the discomfort and runny liquid explosive episodes spaced nearly 12 seconds apart, very similar to what OP indicated.

as for McD version of food, I had not eaten anything from there in nearly 15 years, when circumstance just a few years ago gave literally no other choice. Once again a 'voyage of discovery' found me late at night in a remote locale with no food dispensaries available.

Having flourished (more or less depending on the definition of the word) on McD over several key decades in my personal history, I recalled their fish sandwich and fries with a naive fondness born of illusion and brain dead familiarity.

As a diabetic I've had to learn better ways to take care of my health, so old favorites have been long reassigned. In any case, I was unable to eat whatever the fish-replacement gelatinous mass substance may have been. The semi-melted orange color plastic sheet welded the bun-substitute to the crusty fish-patty appearing space occupying lesion. The bun was inedible. Literally. The fries, once my favorite, were beneath contempt. So rather than going to bed hungry, which always has an eventual down side for blood glucose management, had to rely on my little 'emergency survival pack' intended for just such circumstance.

OP story brings up (;)) an important point though, of should such events occur, in a SHTF situation, of 'just what IS the best remedy', etc.

Last Edited:
In a trip across the country a few years ago, we were putting in for the evening near Albuquerque NM.

Cutting thru the drama & extended story line, let me issue a bit of advice in your travels:

Should you encounter a truck stop with a 'econo Chinese Buffet' attached, flee while you are able.

About the only real fried food in the fast food places are the French fries. Everything else is full of wood pulp and flavor enhancers. They don't even use real sugar, corn syrup is the sweetener and if you think that's a real milkshake you are sadly mistaken. You are not buying food at those places, you are buying flavors.

In a trip across the country a few years ago, we were putting in for the evening near Albuquerque NM.

Cutting thru the drama & extended story line, let me issue a bit of advice in your travels:

Should you encounter a truck stop with a 'econo Chinese Buffet' attached, flee while you are able.

I used to travel all the time and had a way to check food places. For breakfast never eat in a chain restaurant, find a good local place with lots of cars at it. Normally it's a family operation that cares about good food. For lunch and dinner stay out of the chain food joints and ask the locals who makes the best food you want to eat.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top