JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've gotten along ok for the most part following these rules:

Don't try to educate an anti gunner.
Don't tell people how to run their marriage.
Don't tell people how to raise their kids.
Don't tell people how to train their dogs.
Don't try to change someone's politics.
Don't try to change someone's religion.

99.9% of the time you will get nowhere with unsolicited information. 90% of the time you won't get anywhere if asked your opinion and 10% of the time you may find someone with an open mind and the intelligence to think for themselves.

I've changed a few minds in my time and taken to many people out for their first shooting trip to count but a lot of those I'm sad to say (while they always have fun) still adhered to the no one needs guns mentality.

I personally believe it's getting harder with so much misinformation so readily available on the internet and so few ways to verify what is truth and what is an agenda or just plain ignorance.

Over half of the people believe what the anti-gun "news" and entertainment industry tell them.

I personally believe it's getting harder with so much misinformation so readily available on the internet and so few ways to verify what is truth and what is an agenda or just plain ignorance.
Like 114 was closing a loophole.
People dont want to take the time to verify what the truth is. They just want to read something that confirms their bias and have never challenged their bias.

I worked for a Dr. that was super anti gun and every Christmas he would give us a check for a gift . I would use that money every year to buy ammo I still laugh about it ! I thought it interesting that he hated guns but would eat elk I brought in maybe he thought it died from natural causes lol.
a. Yep, a well-placed 150gr Core-Lok .308 bullet will naturally cause death.

b. I really don't get the substantial and genuine HATE that some of your fellow citizens have about guns and shooting and those who take part.

Here in UK, if anybody asked what sports interest me, and I reply 'shooting', they usually whittle on about game shooting - grouse, pheasant, that sort of thing, as we live out of town in a small village community.

When I mention target shooting, which is all I actually do, I get a glazed look, and a 'oh, that's nice/different/unusual' - if, indeed, it registers at all. Very few people follow up, but those that do usually say, 'I did a bit of that in the cadets' or 'I was in the Army/Navy/RAF and did a bit/lot of shooting but never thought about it after I left - might be interesting to have another go, eh?' Hereabouts, we have a LOT of ex-Armed Forces personnel, with five large bases within twenty miles or so.

They can SEE that I'm a decent person, or else I wouldn't BE a parent school governor or member of the local council, so the instant hate that colours so much of your responses just doesn't happen here.

A general lack of interest.familiarity seems to prevail.

Last Edited:
a. Yep, a well-placed 150gr Core-Lok .308 bullet will naturally cause death.

b. I really don't get the substantial and genuine HATE that some of your fellow citizens have about guns and shooting and those who take part.

Here in UK, if anybody asked what sports interest me, and I reply 'shooting', they usually whittle on about game shooting - grouse, pheasant, that sort of thing, as we live out of town in a small village community. When I mention target shooting, which is all I actually do, I get a glazed look, and a 'oh, that's nice/different/unusual' - if, indeed, it registers at all. Very few people follow up, but those that do usually say, 'I did a bit of that in the cadets' or 'I was in the Army/Navy/RAF and did a bit/lot
of shooting but never thought about it after I left - might be interesting to have another go, eh?' Hereabouts, we have a LOT of ex-Armed Forces personnel, with five large bases within twenty miles or so.

They can SEE that I'm a decent person, or else I wouldn't BE a parent school governor or member of the local council, so the instant hate that colours so much of your responses just doesn't happen here.

A general lack of interest.familiarity seems to prevail.
But, in the UK, the guns are already gone. I would fully expect lack of interest and unfamiliarity to prevail for guns.

Ownership is an active political issue at this time and people tend to get very emotionally involved in their politics.

Not stupid, ignorant. Talk to them as if you were trying to explain it to a child.
But without disdain or judgment. What some people really don't get is unlike driving, which IS a privilege, there is a constitutional provision about bearing arms. They might argue that the Supremes got it wrong in Heller, and quote some former justice's thoughts about it, but that's not the law. We might not like what the Supreme's have said about the right but they have the final say (frankly, I think the doctrine of originalism is bunk and ignorant of 200 years of jurisprudence before that theory came into vogue, but I'm not a Supreme Court justice).

If they say the founders meant muskets, you can also point out that at the time they were referring to the most advanced personal arms that existed.

Dear Mr Hueco - According to the most recent statistics, there were 1,438,399 shotguns licensed in England and Wales last year, and more than 550,000 firearms of other types also licensed.

Scotland - 'The information below reflects the number of certificates which were on issue in Scotland on 31 March 2021. There were 25646 firearm certificates on issue as at 31 March 2021. There were 45420 shotgun certificates on issue as at 31 March 2021.'

Northern Ireland - 'Detailed data provided by the PSNI includes the following key findings: In total, there are 153,459 legally held weapons owned by people living in Northern Ireland.

Hardly 'gone' as you suggest. Difficult, sure, impossible, nope.

Around 2,000,000 guns suggest that your assertion may well be erring on the side of, uh, error.

Last Edited:
According to the most recent statistics, there were 1,438,399 shotguns licensed in England and Wales last year, and more than 550,000 firearms of other types also licensed.

Those figures exclude Scotland and Northern Ireland, also parts of the UK.
with permission from the government.

True. Not arguing about that. Just like every other First World country on earth except the United States of America.
Our Constitution was written by revolutionaries. Even then, the Bill of Rights had to be negotiated and included in order for the Constitution to be adopted by the States.

The Second Amendment has not been changed, yet.

It reflects the thinking at the time, but provides a mechanism for modification. It can be changed, if desired. Changing the Constitution was intended to be difficult, for good reason. Governments tend to extend their powers, and our Constitution was intended to keep that in check.

In the meantime, the Second Amendment has been "interpreted" by courts, based on the "opinion" of a majority of justices on specific challenges. These "opinions" have reflected political desires of Government to expand its powers, and the "opinions" have generally resorted to a "balancing" argument to sacrifice individual rights to achieve a desired benefit for the public. "Originalists" see this for what it really is, an attempt to evade the difficult process of amending the Constitution by judicial "activists."

An "activist" judiciary is actually a "subversive" judiciary. Now it is being confronted, and many are displeased. They subscribe (most unknowingly) to the concept that rather than being a "nation of laws", based on the Constitution, we should instead be a "nation of men" (meaning following popular opinion) as interpreted by the few entrusted with judicial powers.

This is a battle over the Soul of the Nation. It is now out in the open, and people are choosing sides.

Dear Mr Hueco - According to the most recent statistics, there were 1,438,399 shotguns licensed in England and Wales last year, and more than 550,000 firearms of other types also licensed.

Scotland - 'The information below reflects the number of certificates which were on issue in Scotland on 31 March 2021. There were 25646 firearm certificates on issue as at 31 March 2021. There were 45420 shotgun certificates on issue as at 31 March 2021.'

Northern Ireland - 'Detailed data provided by the PSNI includes the following key findings: In total, there are 153,459 legally held weapons owned by people living in Northern Ireland.

Hardly 'gone' as you suggest. Difficult, sure, impossible, nope.

Around 2,000,000 guns suggest that your assertion may well be erring on the side of, uh, error.
I don't actively follow threads where I'm not tagged - it's hard enough keeping up. Please use the reply or @ tagging feature; much obliged.

2M guns to a UK population of what, 65M? I would imagine the distribution of those people to be similar to the US - in that the majority are urban while the majority of guns are rural.

So, yea, for the average UKer - the guns are gone. And by gone, I mean an afterthought - a non issue (politically).

My point was simply: I'm not surprised at the casual disinterest you found when saying you're into target shooting.

I work for one of the largest and most left leaning companies in the world - you wouldn't believe the vitriol I got when asking if there were other NRL shooters at work. Because it's an active political issue here. That's all.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top