JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I do think those who want access to firearms because they believe the world is so dangerous are a little paranoid, or are not great at realistically assessing risk. I personally am not concerned about having firearms to protect my "liberty" from government, and I'm not sure if that's because I'm an optimist—it's not likely to be an issue—or a pessimist—what could I really do if the government was really motivated to target me.
Technically we did just recently in time have a group try to overturn an election by force...
Not something I ever thought I would see in my day in the good ol USA.

Very good read. Thank OP. Useful in that it provides tools for how to talk to misguided anti's. I really like that he makes a distinction between evil anti's (it does no good talking to them) and who they influence. I've been saying it is the evil leading the misinformed.

The term "misguided" is so appropriate in this context. They are truly being guided by evil forces.

The term "misguided" is so appropriate in this context. They are truly being guided by evil forces.
I would say that applies to about 95%+ of the US populace.

I can't speak for other countries, but I doubt they are much different. If there were a place where the populace is more informed, not misguided but led by leaders with integrity and wisdom, I would probably want to move there, but I am unaware of any such locale.

I don't know why some people are anti-gun.
I do know why I am pro-gun...but that might be a topic for a different thread. :D

I have a co-worker who is anti-gun...
She has made some statements like those in the OP article.

I once asked her if she was afraid of me , since I owned guns....
She said : "Well no , but you are different."
I replied that most gun owners that I know or are friends with , think and act similar to me.
My comment was lost on her , unfortunately.

At a different workplace , someone heard that I owned guns and was shocked...
I remember them saying " "But you are so nice."
I said that many gun owners are as well...again not so well received.

Often I ask anti-gun people if they have ever handled or shot a gun before.
I ask this , with the idea of ...
Taking them shooting or at least having them look and handle some of my firearms.
It is okay to not like something...but it is better to still not like it and ...
Have an actual understanding of the item and what it is specifically that you don't like about it.

In any event...
You don't have to like or own firearms....just don't make that choice for others.
Andy
I get the," Do you believe in the stand your ground law!? " thats the one statement that is opening to gun ownership! You wouldn't believe how many women think their 110lb asses are gonna kill somebody with a frying pan… its sad:(

I dont think its possible to help or make any difference with someone who has consciously decided to lawfully remove their own personal right to have the tools to defend their own life.

The psychology behind it is interesting and helpful to understand but focus efforts on dialog with people who at least support a right to guns on some level.

Technically we did just recently in time have a group try to overturn an election by force...
Not something I ever thought I would see in my day in the good ol USA.
I didn't mention that I bought my first AR about a month after that, not because I was afraid of JoBiden banning AR's but because there is not a zero possibility of having to hike to Canada with my family.

I recently had to take suicide prevention training. I have a hard enough time with it, due to the fact I recently lost a good friend to suicide. I almost had to walk out, as the entire thing was very much propaganda against firearms. "We have too many guns in the US, so it makes it easier to commit suicide with one." "Guns cause the most suicide deaths." Iyou commit suicide with a firearm you are deader than any other way. If you OD on drugs or hang yourself, we have a chance to save you. If a gun shoots you, you are just done." If you go out in the woods by yourself with a gun, people should be worried you will try and kill yourself." I was already stressed from the briefing, and this just made it 100 times worse. When we brought up how anti-gun it was, we were told, "How dare you bring up politics?!? Suicide is a serious issue!"

I didn't mention that I bought my first AR about a month after that, not because I was afraid of JoBiden banning AR's but because there is not a zero possibility of having to hike to Canada with my family.
Over the years Ive been told over and over again how nobody's committing tyranny or we live in a modern civilized society and nobody's going to take on our army with tanks and planes with our measly AR15s and nobody's ever gonna overthrow our democracy and govt.

I'm not certain what you mean by "is not a zero possibility" but my guess is you realized civil unrest or civil war in this country is a real possibility now.

Over the years Ive been told over and over again how nobody's committing tyranny or we live in a modern civilized society and nobody's going to take on our army with tanks and planes with our measly AR15s and nobody's ever gonna overthrow our democracy and govt.

I'm not certain what you mean by "is not a zero possibility" but my guess is you realized civil unrest or civil war in this country is a real possibility now.
My biggest reason for wanting firearms is that we live somewhere that a 9+ Richter scale earthquake is forecast to happen, I live in a densely populated place, and people get weird when they get scared and hungry. But yes there is the possibility of awful bubblegum happening.

After six months with that M&P Sport II I wanted a better one, now mostly because they're superfreakingeasy to shoot well.

My biggest reason for wanting firearms is that we live somewhere that a 9+ Richter scale earthquake is forecast to happen, I live in a densely populated place, and people get weird when they get scared and hungry. But yes there is the possibility of awful bubblegum happening.

After six months with that M&P Sport II I wanted a better one, now mostly because they're superfreakingeasy to shoot well.
A basic gun for defense is like insurance. But then it turns out fun to shoot and becomes a hobby and another gun, and another...

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top