JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Benelli M4.

C1501170-4613-473B-BFA1-56273EAEF23F_1_201_a.jpeg

Last Edited:
My home defense gun:

img_8334-jpg.481589

Mossberg Shockwave with a SBA4 brace. Basically a Mossberg 590 with a short barrel. I have since put an SBA3 brace on it instead.

It is about as short as some bullpups (e.g., a Mossberg 500 bullpup I used to own).

I have it loaded with buckshot.

With an arm brace, if you accidentally let the brace slip onto your shoulder (not intentionally mind you), I have found that it is almost as effective as a shotgun with a stock. Just make it clear to never put a stock on it and never conceal it on your person.

Some bullpup shotguns, like the KSG are as short than a Shockwave without the brace, shorter than the Shockwave with the brace by 4" and have considerably more capacity.

With a laser and a hi lumens light - like the TLR-2 HL - it is an effective home defense weapon IMO. Without a laser, the bead sight is ok, but it could really benefit from a better set of sights.

I don't know why people say these are useless. Legally they are not a shotgun, practically and functionally, they are a sawed off shotgun. Want a real sawed off shotgun?

You can buy a Shockwave or a Tac-13/14, send in your Form 1 and $200/$205 (SBS or AOW respectively), wait for however long, and when you approval, put a stock on it. You can even make it shorter when you do that, if you wish.

Or not - just keep it the way it is. I have another Shockwave that has a pistol grip (and is still 26"+ long). That is my "trunk/truck gun".

These are not for everybody - they are short and light. The recoil is significant. With 3" magnum buckshot, the recoil is significant++, but still manageable for most adults who don't mind significant++ recoil.

interesting... I just stumbled across this thread on 590-A1s.

My home defense gun:

img_8334-jpg.481589

Mossberg Shockwave with a SBA4 brace. Basically a Mossberg 590 with a short barrel. I have since put an SBA3 brace on it instead.

It is about as short as some bullpups (e.g., a Mossberg 500 bullpup I used to own).

I have it loaded with buckshot.

With an arm brace, if you accidentally let the brace slip onto your shoulder (not intentionally mind you), I have found that it is almost as effective as a shotgun with a stock. Just make it clear to never put a stock on it and never conceal it on your person.

Some bullpup shotguns, like the KSG are as short than a Shockwave without the brace, shorter than the Shockwave with the brace by 4" and have considerably more capacity.

With a laser and a hi lumens light - like the TLR-2 HL - it is an effective home defense weapon IMO. Without a laser, the bead sight is ok, but it could really benefit from a better set of sights.

I don't know why people say these are useless. Legally they are not a shotgun, practically and functionally, they are a sawed off shotgun. Want a real sawed off shotgun?

You can buy a Shockwave or a Tac-13/14, send in your Form 1 and $200/$205 (SBS or AOW respectively), wait for however long, and when you approval, put a stock on it. You can even make it shorter when you do that, if you wish.

Or not - just keep it the way it is. I have another Shockwave that has a pistol grip (and is still 26"+ long). That is my "trunk/truck gun".

These are not for everybody - they are short and light. The recoil is significant. With 3" magnum buckshot, the recoil is significant++, but still manageable for most adults who don't mind significant++ recoil.

C'mon guys.... only ONE?! o_O

8DEA706E-CCA8-42AE-A061-F5AFCC1C828D.jpeg

;):D:s0140:

Wifey has informed me that one our neighbors and a customer at the store is interested in purchasing a shotgun for the home, and wants to speak to me about it. I'm not a shotgun guy. I did pick one up a year or so ago cause it was cool and about 50 years old and in great shape. I little single shot, break action 20 gauge. I hated it and promptly sold it to a gentleman member that had one as a kid. :D What I consider appropriate for home defense would be a short barrel, 16"-18" 20 gauge pump, for someone that might be new to shotguns. What is currently available that fits the bill as a nice budget minded,,,ooo, do I dare?..."Shotty" ? The gentleman is a vet and, apparently, decided after his service that he wasn't into guns and doesn't have any now. So he's not a total noob to guns.
Point him in the direction of a simple pump action 12 or 20 gauge. Think Mossberg 500/590 or Remington 870. Tell him to get his bubblegum in a store today or tomorrow as they are literally all gone. 12 gauge ammo is also virtually all sold out too. If he gets a shotgun and cant find any ammo let me know. I'll throw a box a 25 rounds of buck his way, because he's a friend of a friend.

870 is the only answer

Not the cheapest or most expensive but the most prove platform,with a healthy after market

20g is effective and pleasant to shoot. Try to find a model 81100 (20g hd) I know are 2 are

12g is more common and cheaper but it's not for everyone

16g and 28g are uncommon and should be avoided

410 is $$$

20g really is the sweet spot

Remington is not what it use to be and I would not consider one of today's models if you want a 870 find an older Police model or Wingmaster otherwise go a Mossberg 500/590 series if pump is the preference, I'll stick with my Beretta 1301.

Wifey has informed me that one our neighbors and a customer at the store is interested in purchasing a shotgun for the home, and wants to speak to me about it. I'm not a shotgun guy. I did pick one up a year or so ago cause it was cool and about 50 years old and in great shape. I little single shot, break action 20 gauge. I hated it and promptly sold it to a gentleman member that had one as a kid. :D What I consider appropriate for home defense would be a short barrel, 16"-18" 20 gauge pump, for someone that might be new to shotguns. What is currently available that fits the bill as a nice budget minded,,,ooo, do I dare?..."Shotty" ? The gentleman is a vet and, apparently, decided after his service that he wasn't into guns and doesn't have any now. So he's not a total noob to guns.
Look at a Thunder Ranch shotgun.

Last Edited:
Point him in the direction of a simple pump action 12 or 20 gauge. Think Mossberg 500/590 or Remington 870. Tell him to get his bubblegum in a store today or tomorrow as they are literally all gone. 12 gauge ammo is also virtually all sold out too. If he gets a shotgun and cant find any ammo let me know. I'll throw a box a 25 rounds of buck his way, because he's a friend of a friend.

This is what I was thinking. "Simple" And not some "tactical" high cap/high price gun. Though I'm really thinking this guys timing is about 2-1/2 months late. I'm going to go out on a limb and say he's not really into searching a bunch of stores and online retailers to get a gun. Ad to that what people hear on TV has them of the mind set that "All ya' gots to do is walk in anywhere, or just get on-line, and walk out/have mailed to you, any kind of gun ya' want!" o_O Even people that are right in the middle and have nothing against gun owning/owners minds are bent by MSM.

This is what I was thinking. "Simple" And not some "tactical" high cap/high price gun. Though I'm really thinking this guys timing is about 2-1/2 months late. I'm going to go out on a limb and say he's not really into searching a bunch of stores and online retailers to get a gun. Ad to that what people hear on TV has them of the mind set that "All ya' gots to do is walk in anywhere, or just get on-line, and walk out/have mailed to you, any kind of gun ya' want!" o_O Even people that are right in the middle and have nothing against gun owning/owners minds are bent by MSM.

Sorry Mike, but if he's that frakin' dumb let him hang out to dry... it's not your problem. :rolleyes:

On that note however, I saw a Mossberg Maverick for sale at $140 in the classifieds here.... it'd make a decent "starter base" to begin with.

I saw a Mossberg Maverick for sale at $140 in the classifieds here.... it'd make a decent "starter base" to begin with.

I want to start to say I am not a shotgun expert. I own a couple don't shoot them much. Bought a Shockwave a while back. The 2 3/4" shells
recoil is significant to the point wife would not shoot it. I put some skate board tape on the birds head and recently added a Crimson trace
saddle laser. With the adapter it shoots these 12 gauge 'Minis' reliably. Low recoil fun to shoot. Holds 8 Minis in the magazine.
DSC00183.JPG
Upgraded to a Crimson Trace saddle laser.
1591964105879.png

Three inch magnums are way more recoil. Not fun, not even with the brace.

But my main threat is not a home invader - rather bears and cougars and feral dogs - not that they are much of a threat, unless I unwittingly back them into a corner some night when I am checking out why the motion sensor lights have turned on (it is usually deer, but sometimes it is a dog or a porcupine/skunk/raccoon).

Just the same, my Shockwave with a brace is next to my bed.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top