JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Benelli M4.

C1501170-4613-473B-BFA1-56273EAEF23F_1_201_a.jpeg

Last Edited:
My home defense gun:

img_8334-jpg.481589

Mossberg Shockwave with a SBA4 brace. Basically a Mossberg 590 with a short barrel. I have since put an SBA3 brace on it instead.

It is about as short as some bullpups (e.g., a Mossberg 500 bullpup I used to own).

I have it loaded with buckshot.

With an arm brace, if you accidentally let the brace slip onto your shoulder (not intentionally mind you), I have found that it is almost as effective as a shotgun with a stock. Just make it clear to never put a stock on it and never conceal it on your person.

Some bullpup shotguns, like the KSG are as short than a Shockwave without the brace, shorter than the Shockwave with the brace by 4" and have considerably more capacity.

With a laser and a hi lumens light - like the TLR-2 HL - it is an effective home defense weapon IMO. Without a laser, the bead sight is ok, but it could really benefit from a better set of sights.

I don't know why people say these are useless. Legally they are not a shotgun, practically and functionally, they are a sawed off shotgun. Want a real sawed off shotgun?

You can buy a Shockwave or a Tac-13/14, send in your Form 1 and $200/$205 (SBS or AOW respectively), wait for however long, and when you approval, put a stock on it. You can even make it shorter when you do that, if you wish.

Or not - just keep it the way it is. I have another Shockwave that has a pistol grip (and is still 26"+ long). That is my "trunk/truck gun".

These are not for everybody - they are short and light. The recoil is significant. With 3" magnum buckshot, the recoil is significant++, but still manageable for most adults who don't mind significant++ recoil.

interesting... I just stumbled across this thread on 590-A1s.

My home defense gun:

img_8334-jpg.481589

Mossberg Shockwave with a SBA4 brace. Basically a Mossberg 590 with a short barrel. I have since put an SBA3 brace on it instead.

It is about as short as some bullpups (e.g., a Mossberg 500 bullpup I used to own).

I have it loaded with buckshot.

With an arm brace, if you accidentally let the brace slip onto your shoulder (not intentionally mind you), I have found that it is almost as effective as a shotgun with a stock. Just make it clear to never put a stock on it and never conceal it on your person.

Some bullpup shotguns, like the KSG are as short than a Shockwave without the brace, shorter than the Shockwave with the brace by 4" and have considerably more capacity.

With a laser and a hi lumens light - like the TLR-2 HL - it is an effective home defense weapon IMO. Without a laser, the bead sight is ok, but it could really benefit from a better set of sights.

I don't know why people say these are useless. Legally they are not a shotgun, practically and functionally, they are a sawed off shotgun. Want a real sawed off shotgun?

You can buy a Shockwave or a Tac-13/14, send in your Form 1 and $200/$205 (SBS or AOW respectively), wait for however long, and when you approval, put a stock on it. You can even make it shorter when you do that, if you wish.

Or not - just keep it the way it is. I have another Shockwave that has a pistol grip (and is still 26"+ long). That is my "trunk/truck gun".

These are not for everybody - they are short and light. The recoil is significant. With 3" magnum buckshot, the recoil is significant++, but still manageable for most adults who don't mind significant++ recoil.

C'mon guys.... only ONE?! o_O

8DEA706E-CCA8-42AE-A061-F5AFCC1C828D.jpeg

;):D:s0140:

Wifey has informed me that one our neighbors and a customer at the store is interested in purchasing a shotgun for the home, and wants to speak to me about it. I'm not a shotgun guy. I did pick one up a year or so ago cause it was cool and about 50 years old and in great shape. I little single shot, break action 20 gauge. I hated it and promptly sold it to a gentleman member that had one as a kid. :D What I consider appropriate for home defense would be a short barrel, 16"-18" 20 gauge pump, for someone that might be new to shotguns. What is currently available that fits the bill as a nice budget minded,,,ooo, do I dare?..."Shotty" ? The gentleman is a vet and, apparently, decided after his service that he wasn't into guns and doesn't have any now. So he's not a total noob to guns.
Point him in the direction of a simple pump action 12 or 20 gauge. Think Mossberg 500/590 or Remington 870. Tell him to get his bubblegum in a store today or tomorrow as they are literally all gone. 12 gauge ammo is also virtually all sold out too. If he gets a shotgun and cant find any ammo let me know. I'll throw a box a 25 rounds of buck his way, because he's a friend of a friend.

870 is the only answer

Not the cheapest or most expensive but the most prove platform,with a healthy after market

20g is effective and pleasant to shoot. Try to find a model 81100 (20g hd) I know are 2 are

12g is more common and cheaper but it's not for everyone

16g and 28g are uncommon and should be avoided

410 is $$$

20g really is the sweet spot

Remington is not what it use to be and I would not consider one of today's models if you want a 870 find an older Police model or Wingmaster otherwise go a Mossberg 500/590 series if pump is the preference, I'll stick with my Beretta 1301.

Wifey has informed me that one our neighbors and a customer at the store is interested in purchasing a shotgun for the home, and wants to speak to me about it. I'm not a shotgun guy. I did pick one up a year or so ago cause it was cool and about 50 years old and in great shape. I little single shot, break action 20 gauge. I hated it and promptly sold it to a gentleman member that had one as a kid. :D What I consider appropriate for home defense would be a short barrel, 16"-18" 20 gauge pump, for someone that might be new to shotguns. What is currently available that fits the bill as a nice budget minded,,,ooo, do I dare?..."Shotty" ? The gentleman is a vet and, apparently, decided after his service that he wasn't into guns and doesn't have any now. So he's not a total noob to guns.
Look at a Thunder Ranch shotgun.

Last Edited:
Point him in the direction of a simple pump action 12 or 20 gauge. Think Mossberg 500/590 or Remington 870. Tell him to get his bubblegum in a store today or tomorrow as they are literally all gone. 12 gauge ammo is also virtually all sold out too. If he gets a shotgun and cant find any ammo let me know. I'll throw a box a 25 rounds of buck his way, because he's a friend of a friend.

This is what I was thinking. "Simple" And not some "tactical" high cap/high price gun. Though I'm really thinking this guys timing is about 2-1/2 months late. I'm going to go out on a limb and say he's not really into searching a bunch of stores and online retailers to get a gun. Ad to that what people hear on TV has them of the mind set that "All ya' gots to do is walk in anywhere, or just get on-line, and walk out/have mailed to you, any kind of gun ya' want!" o_O Even people that are right in the middle and have nothing against gun owning/owners minds are bent by MSM.

This is what I was thinking. "Simple" And not some "tactical" high cap/high price gun. Though I'm really thinking this guys timing is about 2-1/2 months late. I'm going to go out on a limb and say he's not really into searching a bunch of stores and online retailers to get a gun. Ad to that what people hear on TV has them of the mind set that "All ya' gots to do is walk in anywhere, or just get on-line, and walk out/have mailed to you, any kind of gun ya' want!" o_O Even people that are right in the middle and have nothing against gun owning/owners minds are bent by MSM.

Sorry Mike, but if he's that frakin' dumb let him hang out to dry... it's not your problem. :rolleyes:

On that note however, I saw a Mossberg Maverick for sale at $140 in the classifieds here.... it'd make a decent "starter base" to begin with.

I saw a Mossberg Maverick for sale at $140 in the classifieds here.... it'd make a decent "starter base" to begin with.

I want to start to say I am not a shotgun expert. I own a couple don't shoot them much. Bought a Shockwave a while back. The 2 3/4" shells
recoil is significant to the point wife would not shoot it. I put some skate board tape on the birds head and recently added a Crimson trace
saddle laser. With the adapter it shoots these 12 gauge 'Minis' reliably. Low recoil fun to shoot. Holds 8 Minis in the magazine.
DSC00183.JPG
Upgraded to a Crimson Trace saddle laser.
1591964105879.png

Three inch magnums are way more recoil. Not fun, not even with the brace.

But my main threat is not a home invader - rather bears and cougars and feral dogs - not that they are much of a threat, unless I unwittingly back them into a corner some night when I am checking out why the motion sensor lights have turned on (it is usually deer, but sometimes it is a dog or a porcupine/skunk/raccoon).

Just the same, my Shockwave with a brace is next to my bed.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top