JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So this is info and a few questions I have regarding threading a barrel (specifically to install a suppressor on it), please correct me if any of my understanding is incorrect:
1. Suppressor threads are somewhat "standard" (a known set of possibilities).
2. A gunsmith should be able to thread a barrel given the thread size without having to have the actual suppressor, e.g. I see 1/2-28 mentioned quite a bit.
3. Is it a fairly easy job to thread a barrel? prices I've seen seemed to be in the $100 range, is that true?
4. What about thread protectors? I've seen some places sell them but they don't seem to be as common, can a gunsmith make a custom thread protector?
5. I also imagine a gunsmith will not/need not mess up with the rifling while threading a barrel.

Also if you guys have any recommendations for gunsmiths that would thread a rifle/handgun barrel around Portland Metro, that would be great. I am willing to pay a little extra for quality and meticulous work.

1. Yes, there are standard thread pitches for certain calibers.

2. Yes, any qualified gunsmith should be able to thread a barrel fairly easy as it is a simple job.

3. Yes, it is a fairly simple job but price ranges can differ greatly from one smith to the next and also dependent on the firearm(s) (I've heard from as little as $60 all the way up to $300).

4. Yes, a gunsmith can make a custom thread protector and finish it to match the finish on your barrel.

5. The rifling should not be touched unless the barrel is being shortened or it needs to be recrowned.

I have no smith recomendations in the pdx area. Good luck

Call Tornado Technologies. They are very busy and they're always backed up with orders , but it's worth it in my opinion.
The two suppressors I bought are 7 months away from picking up because of the ATBF, so I wasn't in a rush to get my barrels done.
They do exceptional work and I highly recommend them.

Address: 2020 NW Aloclek Dr #102, Hillsboro, OR 97124
Phone: (503) 690-8000

I buy a die and TAT (thread alignment tool) $60 approx, the tat makes the thread perfectly aligned ....pretty hard to screw it up

I thread all my buddies guns then sold the tools on ebay and get my money back

If you're thinking about threading your 10/22, I recommend Que.
https://sites.google.com/site/quesplace/que-barrel-work
[[email protected]]

I'm not a DIY guy when it comes to machining anything. Que provided a used 10/22 barrel in excellent condition (better than my original), retained both sights, shortened the barrel to minimum legal length, threaded it and slid the front sight back for $115 shipped. I was shooting until the day it came in the mail and the swap took 30 minutes.

Still a working stiff here, so "quick" and "easy" remain important words in my vocabulary. If I ever need the rifle stock again (for some weird reason) I can put the original barrel back on in 20 min.

For anything else, try Tornado Tech locally. Great folks. Great work.

Considering the cost of a quality suppressor $475.00 and up, plus the $200.00 tax stamp and the super long wait.
Why would anyone risk threading your own barrel to save a couple of bucks when you have one of the best companies located out in Hillsboro.

Considering the cost of a quality suppressor $475.00 and up, plus the $200.00 tax stamp and the super long wait.
Why would anyone risk threading your own barrel to save a couple of bucks when you have one of the best companies located out in Hillsboro.

its not black magic its not even gun smithing, like I said I do my buddies when i buy dies & tats .........if it were a risk I wouldnt stick my neck out

Do you have any pics showing the results of a threading job done at home.
What about doing left handed metric threads. Are those tools readily available?

yes the left hand metric are easily obtained I did my wasr10 AK47 and my SKS, even chopped & threaded my saiga 12ga

I can get you pics but there is nothing to see.... same threads you find anywhere, just on a gun barrel , one issue one may have and its not an issue just needs to be thought out first is clocking the threads in the event a crush washer is not desirable or possible, one may want a suppressor or a Can to stop in an exact position, this is where clocking the threads needs to be thought about prior

I actually have another LF metric die & TAT set for the AK47's another couple buddies wanted help, like I said I sell them and get the money back so no big deal to help out my pals and I have a pair of TAT's for the 2 sizes of 22LR and the appropriate die again to help my buds
these tools will be available for purchase shortly

Since I have another SKS to do I can make a video and show how simple it is

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews