JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A Coyote could have killed and eaten the majority of your pet, then a bear came along and finished off the remains left behind.
I think the Bears call "Gummy Cats"!!!

And something as small as a cat would have been totally consumed by a Coyote or at least hauled off.

It is really interesting out here. I am from the east coast and hunted a lot on my family farm. We saw lots of deer, turkey, and coyotes. Every once in a great while someone would get a picture of a bear. Here there is so much space that you do not really see the game until you start working at it. I have been hiking and scouting a lot for the fall seasons and the other day I found a puddle with bear, cat, dog, fawn, and adult deer tracks all within a few feet from each other.

I found a puddle with bear, cat, dog, fawn, and adult deer tracks all within a few feet from each other.
I have found the same kind of thing around the small lakes in the Artillery Impact areas at Ft. Lewis(aka:JBLM) and I've had to chase deer and wild turkeys out from behind the Target Berms on the Pistol and Rifle Ranges when I was Instructing at the NRA Whittington Center in NM?

Hey they were there first!

Bear in western Washington were so common that when I was a kid, you could shoot as many as you wanted any time of the year......like coyotes in the rest of the state. They are very tough to see in that heavy cover. We still see many here in Idaho and they are a nuisance in northern Idaho. They closed campgrounds this year close to us because of problem bears.....one woman was sleeping in a tent and was awakened by a Bear sniffing her legs...

So before anyone questions it there was ample evidence that it was a bear that killed and ate the cat. The unfortunate truth is that some folks in the area leave their trash out and it pulled the bear in. When there was no trash it ate my little golden cat. From everything I know about the cat and the area my best guess is either the two just bumped into each other in the thicket or the cat was concentrating so hard on catching me another mole/mouse/shrew that the bear just walked right up on her. Its a big bear, been living in the area for awhile and seeing how much it has been marking up trees I would guess its a male.

I called ODFW and spoke to a trooper and a biologist and it does not look like they are super interested. They were sympathetic and requested I speak to my neighbors (one neighbor insure me that black bears do not eat meat and that it may have been a grizzly <nope>). Come August first I may just go up a tree in my climber and fill my tag right off my road.

I don't have a cat, but I have a dog and if I lived out where there are bears and I thought that a bear had killed my dog, I would be all about getting a bear tag. I would get that bear one way or another.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top