JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
How much land you got? Need help? Lol.

I am sorry for your loss. Kill him. Isn't the later part of bear season coming up?

Last Edited:
Sorry for your loss:(
Indeed.

Are those some watermelon seeds I see there in that poop?

322897-a052189bc259971dcd24788bfcf5f677.jpg

I would bet money that a cougar got your cat not a bear.
Sorry for your loss

Coyotes are more likely IMO to nab a cat, every try and catch a cat? Takes two people and bears don't work well in teams. Coyotes do.

Sucks but it's time to go full cycle on whatever got your cat.

I second the trail cam. Find out what your up against and then go full circle with it. You have proof for you neighbors and the police. If it happens to be a cougar it will keep hunting so better to end it now.

Never seen a cougar or bear in the wild.

I was probably 45 years old before I saw a bear in the woods here and I saw another last fall hunting deer in the same area. Our family has a home in the foothills of the Cascades and that area has been a favorite hunting area for ages. Bear sightings are extremely rare. A few years ago there were several cats in the area, some kittens even spotted in our yard! In the early 70s we were heading back home in John Day when a cougar was running up a hillside east of Dayville. Only cat I've ever seen.
I've been to Canada and the Rockies where the black bears feed on the garbage cans and Yellowstone where we saw a couple of grizzlies, but I don't consider either of those a normal instance.

I was probably 45 years old before I saw a bear in the woods here and I saw another last fall hunting deer in the same area. Our family has a home in the foothills of the Cascades and that area has been a favorite hunting area for ages. Bear sightings are extremely rare. A few years ago there were several cats in the area, some kittens even spotted in our yard! In the early 70s we were heading back home in John Day when a cougar was running up a hillside east of Dayville. Only cat I've ever seen.
I've been to Canada and the Rockies where the black bears feed on the garbage cans and Yellowstone where we saw a couple of grizzlies, but I don't consider either of those a normal instance.

I see scat up here all the time - bears not only **** in the woods, they **** on the roads and trails in the woods all the time.

Wildlife are understandably skittish/shy around humans, and we are noisy, so they hide. I thought I maybe had a rat on the property - I kept seeing this gray/brown thing skittering away from me, sometimes going under my decks, but never quite caught anything but the back end of it as just a glimpse. Then the other day I finally saw it out in the open - it was a rabbit - lots of rabbits up here.

Now deer on the other hand.

1znpmde.jpg

The only cougar I ever saw was one I got to pet - friend has several rescues he keeps in pens, and one he raised from a kitten. Never seen a cougar or bear in the wild. Been all over Alaska (except the north shore), including the Kenai, Montana (including GNP in areas there are a lot of bears), Yellowstone, Idaho, Washington and Oregon - no bears, no cougars. I know they are there - seen scat less than 100' from my house.

Seen coyote up here. Seen lynx (large!) in the WA backwoods. But no bears or cougars. Lots of deer here - had them ten feet away while sitting in my living room or cooking in the kitchen. But no large predators. Hit a bobcat once with the car.

Dog on my road up here every once in a while tangle with something in the woods, but they are used to it.

Only Cougar I ever saw was crossing a field as I was driving a side road in Corvallis near OSU.

Me: "Hmm big kitty"
Wide eyed woman next to me: "That was a cougar!"
Me: "Cool let's go back and get a better look"
All Passengers: "NOOOOO!"

The only cougar I ever saw was one I got to pet - friend has several rescues he keeps in pens, and one he raised from a kitten. Never seen a cougar or bear in the wild. Been all over Alaska (except the north shore), including the Kenai, Montana (including GNP in areas there are a lot of bears), Yellowstone, Idaho, Washington and Oregon - no bears, no cougars. I know they are there - seen scat less than 100' from my house.

Seen coyote up here. Seen lynx (large!) in the WA backwoods. But no bears or cougars. Lots of deer here - had them ten feet away while sitting in my living room or cooking in the kitchen. But no large predators. Hit a bobcat once with the car.

Dog on my road up here every once in a while tangle with something in the woods, but they are used to it.

Wow, and you live in the boonies................

The first wild bear I seen in WA was on Ft. Lewis; 7th infantry regiment road.

Ray

The short answer is that a hungry Bear will eat anything which means if you choose to invade a Bears living room you just have to accept what happened. Just don't blame the Bear for what comes naturally!

So before anyone questions it there was ample evidence that it was a bear that killed and ate the cat. The unfortunate truth is that some folks in the area leave their trash out and it pulled the bear in. When there was no trash it ate my little golden cat. From everything I know about the cat and the area my best guess is either the two just bumped into each other in the thicket or the cat was concentrating so hard on catching me another mole/mouse/shrew that the bear just walked right up on her. Its a big bear, been living in the area for awhile and seeing how much it has been marking up trees I would guess its a male.

I called ODFW and spoke to a trooper and a biologist and it does not look like they are super interested. They were sympathetic and requested I speak to my neighbors (one neighbor insure me that black bears do not eat meat and that it may have been a grizzly <nope>). Come August first I may just go up a tree in my climber and fill my tag right off my road.

I cannot help but wonder what that neighbor of yours' that thinks bears won't eat a cat actually thinks bears do eat. It is a proven fact that bears are omnivorous and will eat just about anything that does not eat them first. I suggest that you go ahead and fill your bear tag. I know it is illegal to bait them here in Oregon, but it is legal to use a predator call to lure them into range.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top