JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Blue Dot, fills that case up for a 115. You could almost just hand dip the case in a bowl of blue dot to measure a full case worth, then knock a little out and seat the boo'let. Ok Not saying do that, in fact, that would be incredibly irresponsible but just an example of how you cant double charge with it. I am running 7.4grn of it with 124 FMJ, nice minor load for USPSA.

My only problem is I am shooting too many and only been getting Blue Dot from Bi-Mart and I keep cleaning them out. (got the last one at Albany yesterday) I will switch over to the cheep tried and true, TiteGroup. Ya its dirty but Glocks don't care.

Oh yes, they both have the same MSRP too! Actually i think Lee is a little higher the last time I checked!! What a crock!
Didn't take long for the D fan boys to show up, the OP already has a Loadmaster :s0092:.

"They both have the same MSRP too" :s0112:
Yeh the Loadmaster is complete, $252, even has a case feeder and all you need to load with it is components/consumables.
The BL 550 is stripped, $290, and you need dies $72 , a cal. conversion kit $50, powder measure $86, and much more.
The RL 550C has more stuff but you pay for it, $490, close to 2X the loadmaster, and you get no case feeder and manual indexing.

You might need a scale to load with a Loadmaster, if you are nervous about the discs being inaccurate, I'm not, I've checked them.
So yeh, about the same price :s0153:
:D
Edit: OP my vote is for W231 too.

Last Edited:
Titegroup is not a good beginner powder. To much margin for error and nasty results. HS6 is good for keeping volume high enough to prevent a double charge, but expect unburnt powder. CFE Pistol is a fine choice.
Blue Dot is also a good choice, except if shooting outdoors in winter... it loses power, being a temperature sensitive powder.

Accurate #5. My Dad swore by this powder and I still use it today for my .41 AE. My Dad has used/tried in in many cartridges from 9mm to .357 magnum. Next shooting session, I am going to try the .357 with #5 (my Dad's reloads from the 90's). I put a new rear sight blade on my Security Six and need to sight it in.

.41 AE?! I got conversion barrels for a few of my autos for that many, many years ago! Haven't seen ammo or brass for years though! Where do you get brass/ammo? I see it at gunshows every so often but then it turns out to be converted cases and reloads, two things I stay away from in my guns. I am perfectly willing to risk my life and limb with MY converted cases and MY reloads, not willing to with someone else's.

.41 AE?! I got conversion barrels for a few of my autos for that many, many years ago! Haven't seen ammo or brass for years though! Where do you get brass/ammo? I see it at gunshows every so often but then it turns out to be converted cases and reloads, two things I stay away from in my guns. I am perfectly willing to risk my life and limb with MY converted cases and MY reloads, not willing to with someone else's.
Reeds Ammunition has factory new ammo, $84 for a box of 50. I also found some places that sell new .41 AE brass, but can not find the link right now. Gunbroker has new IMI brass starting bid $50 for 50, which is as good as it gets. The brass made from .41 magnum works and I have not heard anything bad.

I did meet someone who seems to be very knowledgeable about .41 AE and has lots of brass, ammo and parts. I can't find his handle on Gunbroker, but will give it to you when it turns up. Very nice guy.

I stocked up when it became obvious that they were not going to make any more ammo. I don't shoot it often, 2 pistols, but do take them out once in a while - Tanfoglio TA90 and Ultra. >500 new rounds, >400 reloads, mostly new brass and >800 new and once fired brass and about 1500 bullets of various grain weight from 170 - 210.

Lots of powders will work, like others - I had family loading for decades and I saw what they found worked well and I kept up with it.

Accurate #5 is a versatile powder and I've found it successful with 9mm, but looking at the load data for it, it has loads listed for lots of pistol cartridges.

Reeds Ammunition has factory new ammo, $84 for a box of 50. I also found some places that sell new .41 AE brass, but can not find the link right now. Gunbroker has new IMI brass starting bid $50 for 50, which is as good as it gets. The brass made from .41 magnum works and I have not heard anything bad.

I did meet someone who seems to be very knowledgeable about .41 AE and has lots of brass, ammo and parts. I can't find his handle on Gunbroker, but will give it to you when it turns up. Very nice guy.

I stocked up when it became obvious that they were not going to make any more ammo. I don't shoot it often, 2 pistols, but do take them out once in a while - Tanfoglio TA90 and Ultra. >500 new rounds, >400 reloads, mostly new brass and >800 new and once fired brass and about 1500 bullets of various grain weight from 170 - 210.
A little off topic, but regarding .41AE, it would be nice if IWI/IMI/Samson or perhaps one of the eastern Euro makers like PPU or Sellier & Bellot could make a run of cases. But, how do we get everyone together, and where's an "in" to those companies...

I'm looking for recommendations for a good 9mm powder. Looking for one that is hard to double charge. I'm reloading 9mm 125 and 147 grain polymer coated bullets. Looking to load them to 130-135 PF. I shoot mainly steel challenge and pin matches. Hey., someone has got to place 18th. :rolleyes:

I have a lee loadmaster for now. Yes I know.

Ideas? I like simple.

Hodgdon CFE Pistol has been great for me on 9mm and 45 auto. I'm new to reloading also.

Lots of powders will work, like others - I had family loading for decades and I saw what they found worked well and I kept up with it.

Accurate #5 is a versatile powder and I've found it successful with 9mm, but looking at the load data for it, it has loads listed for lots of pistol cartridges.

I too like Accurate powders. They meter extremely well and burn substantially cleaner than a lot of other powders.

I like them both BE 86 is slower burning more like a modern Unique or flash suppressed power pistol ,
and sport pistol is more of a faster burning like w231 ,
both work well in 9mm and Alliant has data for BE 86 and a ton of date for sport pistol to me BE 86 better for higher velocity
and sport pistol is great for target type ammo ,

9mm is all I reload. And after trying several powders, Red Dot is the best in my opinion. It fills up the case sufficiently, is a soft and a comfortable shooter, it is reliable, and it burns cleanly.

Titegroup is cheap but easy to double charge and makes everything incredibly dirty. Don't recommend it.

Hmmm, in my experience Titegroup has burned clean and Red Dot has always burned dirty... have used Red Dot since my days of reloading shotshells 50yrs ago... all "Dot" powders are dirty, just like Unique and Bullseye, but apparently Alliant is claiming the new Red Dot and Unique powders burn cleaner... so there's that.

And there's plenty of load data to load everything from .25 acp to .44 magnum to 30-06 using it.

Have an 8lb can of Red Dot. Used it 50yrs ago for clays until 700X came out. I love Red Dot for .38Spec and for .308 plinker loads... I put a small amount (I forget how much) of Red Dot in a .308 case, put some tp in the case to hold the powder against the primer, and stuff a roundball on top... shoots soft as a .22 but it's messy because you don't get a pressure seal... what a mess to clean!! (Both the barrel AND the chamber AND the brass! But fun, really fun!!)

Which one you like better? I've been thinking on trying sport pistol. I've only used Titegroup and CFE so far.

Why would you leave Titegroup behind???

Last Edited:
I ordered some HS-6 since it was recommended by a few members and one of my co workers. I plan on loading 147 or 124 grain poly coated bullets.

As for the press... Pelosi is buying me a Dillon. :)

My unused LEE Loadmaster is in the classifieds.

After watching a few videos on setting up the Dillon 750 my brain hurts. I will watch again when I feel like concentrating

Last Edited:
Been using unique for years, works for all my pistols. Fills the case nicely, hard to throw a double charge, the case overflows. Reformulated a while back, not so dirty anymore. A pound ought to load about a bazillion 9mm's.

i use a rockchucker press, rcbs dies mostly. Got to pick up some more powder,primers, and boolits.

Last Edited:
I ordered some HS-6 since it was recommended by a few members and one of my co workers. I plan on loading 147 or 124 grain poly coated bullets.

As for the press... Pelosi is buying me a Dillon. :)

My unused LEE Loadmaster is in the classifieds.

After watching a few videos on setting up the Dillon 750 my brain hurts. I will watch again when I feel like concentrating
I would go with the Dillon 550. I have been cranking out rifle and pistol ammo for 30 years on a 550. Cheaper and easier caliber conversions.
Can be used as a single stage. For rifle loads I can weigh each powder charge. Found an accurate, cheap and soft recoil 9 mm load for IDPA.
Berry's 147 grain plated bullets and Titegroup. Good price on the 147 grain Berry's bullets $85/1K.:D
DSC00213.JPG

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top