JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking for recommendations for a good 9mm powder. Looking for one that is hard to double charge. I'm reloading 9mm 125 and 147 grain polymer coated bullets. Looking to load them to 130-135 PF. I shoot mainly steel challenge and pin matches. Hey., someone has got to place 18th. :rolleyes:

I have a lee loadmaster for now. Yes I know.

Ideas? I like simple.

HS-6 has been my go to for 9mm and .40 since shortly after I started loading in 2011. Measures great, has good case fill, (better than titegroup and W231/hp38 etc) and has a wider range from min to max. And runs cleaner in those higher pressure rounds.

Based on the percentage of the case a powder charge will fill, Power Pistol & Unique both look good.

Good info in the link from LSWC. Note that all of the minimum charges are above 50% so they are going to be pretty full with a double charge. That's with the 115's anyway, the heavier bullets will differ.

OK, when I started reloading 9mm, BE and Unique were the most popular powders for most pistol calibers, but I stopped reloading for a while.
Fast forward 10+ years and upon return to reloading, a new batch of "best" powders were on the scene, and I started using w231/hp38.
After another reloading hiatus, I find yet another generation of new "best" powders available to choose from :confused:.
I've stuck with HP38 though, only because I bought a bunch during the Obama years, and it has performed well.

Any of the proven "go to/best" powders, past or present will get you what you are looking for with the bulkier ones working best to show a double charge.
Changing to coated bullets from traditionally lubed cast has been the most beneficial change for me to date, because it shoots/loads so much cleaner.

I too load some of my 9mm with a Loadmaster, and use some reloading methods specific to it that have it running smooth, without being plagued with hiccups/stoppages.
What has been your experience with the Loadmaster so far?

:D

Last Edited:
Well you suggested lacking the possibility of a double charge, but I've been using bullseye for decades. Love that powder for 9mm and .45acp.

I use W231 for 115 and 124 9mm, meters like water, always consistant charge and clean burning. As for double charges, I look in every case before seating bullets, takes longer, but it gives me piece of mind.

Titegroup is my favorite, a pound at 3.3-3.8 grains will yield a ton of loaded cartridges. Not for the faint at heart, as double charges are a problem since titegroup looks like there is no charge in the case.

1# = 7000 grains

7000 / 3.5 = 2000 charges

My 115 poly coats with 3.3 get around 1000 FPS. Not fast, but great for Speed Steel and cycling the action. 115 power or up if you go up a tad on the charge.

At 4.5, with 115 you'll get around 1250 out of a 5" barrel, 1300ish out of a 16". Gets you at least a 130-140 power factor.

You can use the chart that comes with the Lee Pro Disk Powder Measure that may have come with your Loadmaster.
If not this is it:
https://leeprecision.com/files/instruct/AD3398.pdf
Scroll down
If you find the .40cc disc listing on the chart and look down the column for each powder you are considering to find what weight in grains is .40cc in volume.
You'll see that .40cc of Trail Boss equals 1.8 grains, whereas .40cc of Unique is 3.7 grains.
This indicates that Trail Boss would fill a 9mm case fuller for a given weight(grains) and overflow if double charged.

Comparing each powder's VMD is another way to determine which is denser too.
I'm hoping for no typos here but if you find any let me know and I'll correct it.
Typos and incomplete load data, like a powder weight but no powder name/etc, commonly posted by others are the reason I never post any load data :confused:
:D
Edit: Sorry no powder VMD's in the link above.
They are here though:

Last Edited:
9mm is all I reload. And after trying several powders, Red Dot is the best in my opinion. It fills up the case sufficiently, is a soft and a comfortable shooter, it is reliable, and it burns cleanly.

Titegroup is cheap but easy to double charge and makes everything incredibly dirty. Don't recommend it.

Winchester WSF is great but it's pretty expensive. I've heard awesome things about HS-6 and CFE Pistol.

9mm is all I reload. And after trying several powders, Red Dot is the best in my opinion. It fills up the case sufficiently, is a soft and a comfortable shooter, it is reliable, and it burns cleanly.

Titegroup is cheap but easy to double charge and makes everything incredibly dirty. Don't recommend it.

Winchester WSF is great but it's pretty expensive. I've heard awesome things about HS-6 and CFE Pistol.
And there's plenty of load data to load everything from .25 acp to .44 magnum to 30-06 using it.

I started using ETR-7 from Expansion Ammunition several years ago and it works great for 9mm 147 gr lipstick rounds from Acme Bullets. It easily makes power factor for USPSA and provides more of a push recoil than a snap. With the LoadMaster, I would suggest getting a small LED light strip so you can easily see inside the cases after the powder drop. The LoadMaster Forum should provide some reading material for a while. I use the billet turret, turret stabilizer, and shake brake from Mikes Reloading Bench. If you don't have one already, the case feeder is a mandatory option. I tried the bullet feeder but don't like the way it blocks your view of the inside of the case after the powder drop. I make it part of my scan routine to look into every single case before placing the bullet. I've had no problem whatsoever with the primer system on my press. I think Lee fixed that about 5 years ago or so.

Enjoy the LoadMaster, I know I have.

I favor "one powder" loading. Sure there are a couple dozen powders that work perfectly well in the 9mm, .45 ACP, etc. Some 9mm powders are better for 100 gr bullets, some for 110 bullets, some ideal for 125 gr bullets, another is perfect for 126 gr bullets, this one for 135 grs, that one for .... well you get the idea.

Me? Win 231/Hodgdon HP38. SAME POWDER! Go to Hodgdon site and look it up, same powder, always was. That is why I laugh all the time when I see the exact same load of 231/HP38 listed with the same bullet and different pressures and speeds. Then you look at the author or book maker and you know why they played fast and loose. 98% of all my pistol loading is done with Win 231.

Sure Bullseye, Unique, 2400 (magnums!), 700X, Auto-Comp., Red Dot, Green Dot, Super Field, Titegroup, etc., etc., are also around here somewhere, but for day in and day out, I use Win 231. You might buy the "new" 231 powder, whatever they call it, but basically the idea is to have ONE powder on the shelf, ONE powder on the bench, ONE powder that you know works. Saves time, hassles, confusion, "OH SHEET! WHAT DID I POUR IN THE CAN?!" and "IS THAT TWO DIFFERENT POWDERS IN THE MEASURE?!" I like it but your mileage may vary.

The Lee LOADMASTER is a load of SOMETHING! Throw it away, buy a Dillon 550 and enjoy life for once! That is what I did and I have not regretted that for one minute! A LoadMaster vs Dillon 550, is like Yugo vs BMW! A Yugo might get you there, but you won't enjoy the ride, it looks crappy, no one wants you parked near them and you won't pick up any chicks either. Oh yes, they both have the same MSRP too! Actually i think Lee is a little higher the last time I checked!! What a crock!

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top